PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
    I guess these things don't matter to me... college players should be getting paid. It's kind of a farce that the University of Auburn expects Newton to play for his education, meanwhile they make millions and millions off the dude.

but taking money... or pretending not to know about it... this isn't like a felony. these are misdemeanors. it's not like that dude from TCU who had sex with his sister or whatever sick crap he was arrested for.

if we want to critique his football skills fair enough but the "fake smile" stuff is just haterade. ya know who else has a fake smile and loves to be the center of attention, Shaquille Oneal. Who cares as long as he can ball.
    Newton isnt on scholarship at Auburn?

Comment

has a fake smile
      Think about this statement for a second...
      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Rashaan Salaam View Post
        Trust what you see...

Just watch the tape
        I agree with this for the most part.

The problem is, with quarterbacks, its not that simple. You can't just go off of game tape.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
          That's what the internet is for... a dick measuring contest. Also, why are great players such terrible coaches? Because they didn't understand part of the game.

Anyways, I tend to agree with what he said. He almost feels like he was coached to do what he is doing. I see him smile and it looks forced. Maybe it isn't, but I just get the impression something is wrong.

When you are going to invest 50 million into someone, you tend to nitpick.

Also, It's not just his smile. His entire demeanor doesn't look like someone who pushes a team. He just reminds me of the kid who sits in the back of the room and cracks jokes in high school. The same guy that ended up drunk under a bar stool in college and dropped out after a year.

Maybe that's just me though...
          What do you see or what does he remind you of when you actually see him PLAY?

Comment

What do you see or what does he remind you of when you actually see him PLAY?
            I know this wasn't directed at me but when I watch him play, I see an athletic freak with the football in his hand making plays at the disposal of people much less talented than he is. Nothing I see from Cam Newton at Auburn helps me think he's going to be a successful quarterback in the NFL. An elite athlete yes, but not an NFL QB. It's really as simple as that.

JaMarcus Russell was a giant blob with a cannon arm but no ability to play quarterback at the pro level. Cam Newton is an elite athlete with a strong arm but has a similar lack of ability to play the position professionally and remain competitive. In a quarterback, those intangibles are the framework for any sort of success at the pro level, those other characteristics just determine exactly what kind of QB you are.

The off the field and personality stuff are what support the argument that he doesn't have what it takes to learn the position in the NFL. It's come to the forefront and basically become the biggest perceived question-mark about him, but it's still just a minor piece in the big picture of him simply not mentally being able to handle the development.
            Last edited by GaMeTiMe; 03-29-2011, 02:16 PM.
            Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

it should also be noted that Nolan Nawrocki's profile is hugely long and says many good things about Newton.

that fake smile paragraph kinda got cherry picked.

they released the whole thing today

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...couting-report

"Very savvy — confident, charming and charismatic and can light up a room. Highly competitive and plays with passion"
              my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Waiting for my Draft Preview in the mail any day as we speak.

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
                The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
                Newton
                South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
                Barely literate +5 swagger
                Thief +15 swagger
                Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
                Big, average speed -3 swagger
                Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
                Total Swagger: 62
                ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Comment

I think Newt gets dinged for the smile because it is so over the top. Probably all of them have to fake interest and warmth after getting asked the same questions 20 or 30 times a day, but Newton gives us the Hee Haw donkey treatment. I agree with what Nawrocki said, and I said the same myself on one of the QB threads awhile back. Maybe the problem is just that Newton's deception is pretty shallow and unconvincing compared to others. Gabbert does the same, but in a more subtle and respectful manner.

Comment

I am the media...and also a former player..UL-Lafayette
                    Really??? I live in Lafayette right now. Go Cajuns!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Ugg..I can see it now, with the 4th pick in the draft Mike Brown with a woody overrides the entire Bengal war room and selects Cam Newton.

Perfect selection in Brown's mind and it would about the worst place for Newton to land.

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                        Ugg..I can see it now, with the 4th pick in the draft Mike Brown with a woody overrides the entire Bengal war room and selects Cam Newton.

Perfect selection in Brown's mind and it would about the worst place for Newton to land.
                        I think you are 100% correct with this prediction.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                        Bortlezzzzzzz
                        Originally posted by Monomach
                        Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
                          I guess these things don't matter to me... college players should be getting paid. It's kind of a farce that the University of Auburn expects Newton to play for his education, meanwhile they make millions and millions off the dude.
                          The college university and collegiate athlete relationship is mutually beneficial. Not only does the player get a free education, but the collegiate system provides the avenue for the NFL. Colleges provide the coaches, facilities, and exposure from playing that allows these athletes to prepare themselves and go on to the NFL. In essence, playing for these colleges acts as an interview for the NFL (as cliche as that's become for the pre-draft process), and it's because Newton played in college that he's about to cash in with a multi-million dollar pro contract.

Also, Auburn didn't make millions and millions off of him. They made it off the team and the fanbase, so Auburn is gonna pull in that money regardless if Newton is there or not, which is probably far less than the "millions and millions" number you pulled - most college athletic programs don't even turn a profit, and a lot of the football money goes back into the school to support it and the resources that these players utilize.
                          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

From Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm):

As I've said, Nolan Nawrocki knows what he's doing and has an impeccable reputation. If Nolan is saying this stuff about Newton it's because he has excellent sources who are telling him.
                            About half the people here were saying the same thing about Russell... I need a much better example than that.

Comment

Snowball Effect... The miss on the QB position snowballed to derail the entire squad. I also felt like they got rid of Mariucci too quick!
                              You do realize that we only have like 10 players left that were drafted by Matt Millen from the years 2001-2008? And not a single player from 2002-2006? And very few of those players are even still in the league?

On another note, does anyone know when PFW's Draft Preview comes out?

Comment

I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
                                Reggie Bush will be a better Marshall Faulk....wait; I knew all along that he was going to be a role player at best!

Cant be serious.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information