No announcement yet.

PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steuber and I had a 15 minute debate on Newton in tonight's podcast.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      I remember when I was preaching this with a passion. So funny as I look back on it now...how wrong I was.

Same way I've been passionately supporting Newton over Locker. One thing that makes me think Locker could end up being the better QB in 5 years is if he goes to a team that has a good supporting cast that will let him sit and develop...and Newton goes to a bum team that rushes him.
      I still think the 49ers NEW staff would be a big spot for Locker if our big 4 players are not there and try to trade down and grab him.Or just go ahead and draft him at number 7!!Tho I think I am the only 9er fan that would love for this to happen.
      Last edited by 49erNation85; 03-29-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Not sure what the reason was, but the impression of Newton being all about Cam and not relating well to teammates was certainly reinforced by his pre draft workout regime. Most of the top prospects trained in group settings at large facilities, pushing each other, helping each other, hanging out and forming bonds. Newton was cloistered off in little theological college with his band of advisors and half witted QB "guru" Whitfield Jr. Now You Tube, Twitter, and Facebook are filled with images of Gabbert working hard and having fun with numerous of his peers. It doesn't take much to see the obvious warmth and chemistry he enjoys with players like J.J. Watt, Chris Ponder, A.J. Green, Aaron Williams, Prince Amukamura etc. I'm pretty sure that NFL execs are watching that and seeing Gabbert do the same with future teammates.

Not to say that Newton couldn't do the same, but HE DIDN'T. There is no visual evidence of him enjoying that cameraderie with his mates. Even at his pro day, he was sitting off by himself, ostentatiously pimping his Under Armour gear for the benefit of the cameras. Then he gets some positive feedback from Mike Mayock and ends it by calling him "Mr. McShay". I would be shocked if any team took him ahead of Gabbert at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
          "Winning an NFL Locker room" and "Winning a college locker room" are entirely different phenomena. The BMOC wins the locker room in college pretty much by default. In the NFL, any quarterback is going to come into a locker room full of people who are significantly more accomplished, richer, and older than you. Winning their respect is challenging.
          No it's not.

Sean Taylor had the respect of the Redskins lockerroom after his first week of training camp when it was revealed that ST had only one speed in practice, 100 mph, and played in 7 on 7 drills like it was the NFCC.

Lavar Arrington tried to clown ST during an interview after ST's first training camp by smashing a shaving cream pie in his face while he was being interviewed by a local reporter, and that incident almost divided the lockerroom.

Play on the field ALONE is what earns a player respect in team sports on every level.

If the offense on Cam's NFL team looks dynamically different when he's under center, he by default will earn the respect of his teammates. Winning will only compound this.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
            Steuber and I had a 15 minute debate on Newton in tonight's podcast.
            I heard. I tend to side with you on the debate.
            QB's are held to higher standards. I'd want my QB with integrity.
            I think you're on a more extreme position with him than I am but
            overall still the same the thought process though

CK a 4/5 rounder? Really?

Why don't you think Kerrigan could play standing up in an odd front?
            Especially if he'll be a primary rusher.

Nice overall show
            -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by the natural View Post
              Not sure what the reason was, but the impression of Newton being all about Cam and not relating well to teammates was certainly reinforced by his pre draft workout regime. Most of the top prospects trained in group settings at large facilities, pushing each other, helping each other, hanging out and forming bonds. Newton was cloistered off in little theological college with his band of advisors and half witted QB "guru" Whitfield Jr. Now You Tube, Twitter, and Facebook are filled with images of Gabbert working hard and having fun with numerous of his peers. It doesn't take much to see the obvious warmth and chemistry he enjoys with players like J.J. Watt, Chris Ponder, A.J. Green, Aaron Williams, Prince Amukamura etc. I'm pretty sure that NFL execs are watching that and seeing Gabbert do the same with future teammates.

Not to say that Newton couldn't do the same, but HE DIDN'T. There is no visual evidence of him enjoying that cameraderie with his mates. Even at his pro day, he was sitting off by himself, ostentatiously pimping his Under Armour gear for the benefit of the cameras. Then he gets some positive feedback from Mike Mayock and ends it by calling him "Mr. McShay". I would be shocked if any team took him ahead of Gabbert at this point.
              The more you hype Gabbert's most insignificant intangibles, the more the image of Joey Harrington flashes in my head.

My gut tells me that Gabbert is several notches better as a prospect than Harrington, but dang if you don't emphasize some of those most negligible aspects of Gabbert as a pro prospect, namely how much of a 'buddy' he is during the predraft process.

I promise you more than a few Cowboys thought Aikman was a prick on some of those SB teams because of his tendency for calling out players in practice and in games for screwing up assignments.

But they still respected him and played to their max ability when he was under center.
              Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 03-29-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                No it's not.

Play on the field ALONE is what earns a player respect in team sports on every level.
                Not even close to true. Some of the best players on teams I have played on have been among the least liked. If talent were all that mattered, Ryan Leaf would still be the toast of San Diego.

To be clear, I dont think leadership will be an issue with Newton. Honestly, I can just about guarantee you that most NFL athletes would prefer to have a laid-back guy like Newton at the helm than a schticky, over-animated goof like Tebow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashaan Salaam View Post
                  What do you see or what does he remind you of when you actually see him PLAY?
                  The same thing Aliki Smith showed.

edit: The NFL isn't just a league where you go out there and fling the ball around. It takes so much more than just talent. Everyone in the NFL has talent. So does JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. And Brady Quinn. And Matt Leinart.
                  **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                    The more you hype Gabbert's most insignificant intangibles, the more the image of Joey Harrington flashes in my head.
                    It isn't an "insignificant intangible". The quarterback, particularly a top draft pick, is automatically "the face of the franchise". Gabbert is miles ahead of any QB prospect I can remember coming into the league in that regard. Some are naturals, like Favre was, but a lot of them are bland to morose dopes like Cutler, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Russell, Young, etc. Gabbert, I would say is the best since Favre, although I don't remember him when he first came into the league. But it seems he was always fairly charismatic.

Comment

• Originally posted by MI_Buckeye View Post
                      Not even close to true. Some of the best players on teams I have played on have been among the least liked. If talent were all that mattered, Ryan Leaf would still be the toast of San Diego.

To be clear, I dont think leadership will be an issue with Newton. Honestly, I can just about guarantee you that most NFL athletes would prefer to have a laid-back guy like Newton at the helm than a schticky, over-animated goof like Tebow.
                      Being liked and being respected aren't the same thing.

It's about performance. I've played with total assholes who were all-state, and I'll be damned if that player wasn't the last person I'd ever invite to a party, but be the first guy I'd want to be on the field with me in a playoff game.

There's a difference, that's all.

Comment

So Newton jumping into the stands, smiling and bobbing his head like a ****** is not being over animated?

Comment

Just when I thought you couldn't possibly say anything dumber, you go on to say this...

Originally posted by MI_Buckeye View Post
                          ...and totally redeem yourself!:)
                          Last edited by Brown Leader; 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM.

Originally posted by borg9
                          Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• If he's taken top five, he'll be talked about in a few years with JaWalrus. These enormous concerns with his character are all forgiving the fact that he's got numerous concerns as far as football goes, too.
                            Just play me, baby

Comment

• The rebuttal...

George Whitfield, Newton's pre-draft quarterback coach's interview in response to Nawrocki's take on Cam's character.

Originally posted by borg9
                              Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
                                The rebuttal...

George Whitfield, Newton's pre-draft quarterback coach's interview in response to Nawrocki's take on Cam's character.
                                That is OBVIOUSLY a fake child that has no type of illness. Ha - think you can fool me, Cam Newton. I see right through your charade!
                                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information