X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Wright
    started a topic PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Saw this blurb on Pro Football Talk ( http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rs-cam-newton/ )

PFW Draft Guide Clobbers Cam Newton
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT

The Pro Football Weekly draft preview, prepared each year by the late Joel Buschbaum’s successor, Nolan Nawrocki, is regarded as an indispensable source for comprehensive information regarding the many incoming players.

This year, Nawrocki takes aim at one of the biggest names in the draft pool.

Our corporate brother/cousin/colleague/potty-mouthed PFT Live guest Tom Curran points out that Nawrocki rips former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

Under “negatives” for Newton, Nawrocki writes, “Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.”

Wow, Nolan. Tell us how you really feel.

As Curran points out, each team will draw its own conclusions regarding Cam Newton. His talent and potential are undeniable; it only takes one team in the top 10 to be willing to take a chance on his character for Cam to be a top-10 pick.

Or, as the case may be, the top five.

Or, as the case may be, the top three.

Or, as the case may be, the top one.
    Personally, I think Nolan is one of the very best in the business, right up there with Mel Kiper, Jr. and Mike Mayock. Apparently he has some of the same concerns that many of us do...

• FTRWRTR
    replied
    Originally posted by the natural View Post
    , no top CAA client has done that in recent years, and they have had half a dozen QBs go first overall in the draft.
    Big difference is those qbs were considered the #1 qb even before the combine and a great performance wouldn't have helped. Gabbert is in a totally different situation and a great day throwing could've boosted his stock.

Leave a comment:

• the natural
    replied
    Originally posted by FTRWRTR View Post
    From what I've read even most of his supporters think of him as the "safe" pick. Which is ok if we were talking about the the #1 pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. However for the #1 overall pick if you're set on drafting a qb you need to take a guy you think can be a franchise qb.

Also I think Gabbert really hurt himself in some people's eyes by not throwing at the combine. I remember reading one NFL scout saying, "it's like he's trying to hide something."
    Twice as many scouts polled by the Milwaukee State Journal thought Gabbert was the best quarterback in the draft. As for not throwing, no top CAA client has done that in recent years, and they have had half a dozen QBs go first overall in the draft.

Leave a comment:

• Brothgar
    replied
    Originally posted by Wrathman View Post
    I think that the decision to not throw at the combine is a missed opportunity to help yourself rather than something that hurts a prospect. Gabbert, and all the quarterbacks, have gone through a pro day as well as individual workouts. There is plenty of data on the board to work with for any interested team.
    Some GMs and coaches find pro days useless. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-pro-days/ just a case and point.

Leave a comment:

• Wrathman
    replied
    From what I've read even most of his supporters think of him as the "safe" pick. Which is ok if we were talking about the the #1 pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. However for the #1 overall pick if you're set on drafting a qb you need to take a guy you think can be a franchise qb.

Also I think Gabbert really hurt himself in some people's eyes by not throwing at the combine. I remember reading one NFL scout saying, "it's like he's trying to hide something."
    I think that the decision to not throw at the combine is a missed opportunity to help yourself rather than something that hurts a prospect. Gabbert, and all the quarterbacks, have gone through a pro day as well as individual workouts. There is plenty of data on the board to work with for any interested team.

Leave a comment:

• FTRWRTR
    replied
    Originally posted by stephenson86 View Post
    still don't know why there is no talk of Gabbert.

Leave a comment:

• countryboi
    replied
    Originally posted by stephenson86 View Post
    They brought in Brian St Pierre off the street and started him over Clausen, I really don't think he has much of a future with the team...still don't know why there is no talk of Gabbert.
    clausen was hurt that week. every week clausen was healthy he started after he got the starting job

Leave a comment:

• SolidGold
    replied
    Originally posted by bitonti View Post
    people are still overrating Clausen. He's awful and not just on the field. Off the field his teammates hate him. He doesn't have the respect of that team and in the NFL that's a death sentence. the defense is not going to hustle to get the ball back to a dude they not only don't believe in to score points... but outright hate.

the internetz and the media might dislike Cam Newton and he might be a terrible role model for our kids but in an NFL locker room they will run through a wall for him. that ability to fire people up and have the team believe it can win is something you won't see on the scouting reports... but it is very real. when they look across the huddle or across the team bus they will see a winner, a star who can get it done on the big stage. When they look at Clausen you don't want to know what they see. It's unprintable.

the difference in talent between the worst NFL team and the best NFL team is not that great. It's not like the difference between the Kansas City Royals and the New York Yankees. In the NFL it's often about momentum and confidence. Newton gives the Panthers both of those things.
    It seems that you are pretty unapologetic Newton fanboy. You have no problem criticizing and speculating about Clausen yet automatically assume that Newton will automatically win over the locker room with no questions asked. Not everyone will buy into his shtick. His performance on the Gruden QB Camp show was pretty uncomfortable and embarrassing at times.

Leave a comment:

• FUNBUNCHER
    replied
    from all accounts, Clausen is a jerk. That's ok if you can back it up with play. Farve, Cutler and others are jerks too but he can ball. Clausen can't ball and that's the biggest problem.

in this league the qb is everything and if you don't have a QB you have nothing. the panthers can't just take Dareus and wait for Luck, they need a QB now.

I don't think those guys hate Clausen as much as football fans imagine they do.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...eplace-clausenhttp://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/top...112552689.html
    Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 04-21-2011, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bitonti
    replied
    Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    DOn't speculate that Clausen's Carolina teammates hate him. Hate him for what?? He's not the reason they suck. Rarely have I ever heard about a rookie drafted in the 2nd round being 'hated'.
    from all accounts, Clausen is a jerk. That's ok if you can back it up with play. Farve, Cutler and others are jerks too but he can ball. Clausen can't ball and that's the biggest problem.

in this league the qb is everything and if you don't have a QB you have nothing. the panthers can't just take Dareus and wait for Luck, they need a QB now.

Leave a comment:

• FUNBUNCHER
    replied
    people are still overrating Clausen. He's awful and not just on the field. Off the field his teammates hate him. He doesn't have the respect of that team and in the NFL that's a death sentence. the defense is not going to hustle to get the ball back to a dude they not only don't believe in to score points... but outright hate.

the internetz and the media might dislike Cam Newton and he might be a terrible role model for our kids but in an NFL locker room they will run through a wall for him. that ability to fire people up and have the team believe it can win is something you won't see on the scouting reports... but it is very real. when they look across the huddle or across the team bus they will see a winner, a star who can get it done on the big stage. When they look at Clausen you don't want to know what they see. It's unprintable.

the difference in talent between the worst NFL team and the best NFL team is not that great. It's not like the difference between the Kansas City Royals and the New York Yankees. In the NFL it's often about momentum and confidence. Newton gives the Panthers both of those things.
    DOn't speculate that Clausen's Carolina teammates hate him. Hate him for what?? He's not the reason they suck. Rarely have I ever heard about a rookie drafted in the 2nd round being 'hated'.

Players IMO may find a teammate annoying or resent him because of his paycheck, but they usually don't hate him.

Even after Albert Haynesworth quit on the SKins because he didn't want to play NT, he was still popular with a core group of those guys, they just didn't like his approach to the game.

Clausen has the physical ability, I think you give him another look.

Leave a comment:

• bitonti
    replied
    I think Jimmy Clausen could lead them to a .500 record and I'm not high on clausen.

Last edited by bitonti; 04-21-2011, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oldman9er
    replied
    No doubt that Cam Newton has great upside, BUT the risk and red flags that accompany this guy are far too worrisome for any team to consider taking him in the top 10. Far too much investment involved.

He probably still will be taken in the top 10, but man, that's just mind-blowingly desperate and ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• stephenson86
    replied
    Originally posted by the natural View Post
    I can't see Newton beating out Clausen next season. Jimmy was rated as highly a year ago as Newton is now. Plus he came out of a pro style offense and has had a year to learn the pro game. Clausen would have to be worse this year than he was a year ago to lose the competition.
    They brought in Brian St Pierre off the street and started him over Clausen, I really don't think he has much of a future with the team...still don't know why there is no talk of Gabbert.

Leave a comment:

• Giants34
    replied
    Newton is going to have to learn what an NFL play looks like before he worries about digesting a playbook. If he has the intelligence and attention span to do so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information