Akeem Ayers: Someone Enlighten Me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akeem Ayers: Someone Enlighten Me

Why is this guy considered a first rounder? He was always high on everybodies board due to presumed athletisism but it turns out he is just really fluent looking without actually being all that fast, agile or explosive. Combine that with bad production and mediocre film(imho) and I dont know why people have him this high. Looking at Scotts ranking for OLB and in his top 11 there are just 2 players who I like less that Ayers (Herzlich cuz I dont think he will be back and McCarthey cuz he is just criminally overrated imo).

With all the mocks giving him to the saints and the projections and stuff I would really love to warm up to this guy but I see a third rounder at best.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
    - Corner or Wideout in the first
    - No reaching
    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Outside of a few 3-4 conversion guys, this year's LBer corp is pretty weak in top end talent and in depth. In this situation, players get pushed up by supply and demand and can go a round before their talent really warrants.
    I'm not a fan of Ayers either and would give him a round 2 grade if it was up to me. However, he is very likely to go late round 1 to some team with LBer needs and I think he has some pass rush ability but I don't think he is special.
    You have to remember that by about the 25th pick of round 1, you are really starting to talk about round 2 ability, prospects with some serious flaws, but if that is where you are picking, you have to accept the risks. What choice do you have???
    Last edited by Iamcanadian; 04-06-2011, 04:18 PM.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

There have been several "why do people like Akeem Ayers?" threads already. I don't see much in him either, but we don't really need multiple threads to point out that soft, slow OLBs generally don't profile as first round picks.

Comment

reminds me of Clint Sintim a whole wicked lat.
        he's versatile and has a lot of potential.
        2nd round
        GO RAVENS

Comment

i still have nightmares about bruce davis....ill pass
          E]

Comment

Mock drafts are tailored to slot teams with players who fill a need.

This is a weak LB class outside of the rushers....I don't get why you need to be sold. Weak class in a position will cause top rated players at those said positions to be overrated because of the need.

Comment

He's not a first rounder and hasn't been for a while now. I think Carter goes before him and wouldn't be surprised if Mason Foster does too.

I don't think people know what to think of him, really. He doesn't do anything particularly well, some think he's a Tampa-2 LB others say 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE, and others would tell you he's a 3-4 ILB. Call it flexibility, and I'm sure the team that drafts him will move him around at first, but again he's not that great at any one aspect of the game.

He might just be a solid backup that picks up a handful of snaps at a bunch of different positions, but I think he's one of the surest players in this draft to disappoint.
              Last edited by GaMeTiMe; 04-07-2011, 12:11 AM.
              Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

I think he is rated so highly(fringe first rounder IMO probably sliding into the second) because while he didn't time well he is a pretty good athlete and has been mentioned is very fluid. He is also scheme versatile and could play as an OLB in a 34 and 43 as well as occassionally rush the passer from a 3 point stance. Seldom does a player offer this much versatility and despite not being the best player it will improve his stock.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

He timed much better at his pro day....I like him best at 4-3 olb where he can best take advantage of his very complete skillset, as a 3-4 olb he will be asked to pass rush too much leaving his great coverage skills somewhat thwarted... I currently have him mocked to the browns early round 2 to play either slb or wlb with the move back to the 4-3.

Comment

im with you, Akeem Ayers is not really a first rounder. Maybe a very very late first rounder to a team like NYJ or GB. But i don't see the value on film. He misses alot of tackles... and we all know about his workouts. If he ran a 4.4 like Von Miller that would be something... but he ran like Brandon Spikes.
                    my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Originally posted by roscoesdad27 View Post
                      He timed much better at his pro day....I like him best at 4-3 olb where he can best take advantage of his very complete skillset, as a 3-4 olb he will be asked to pass rush too much leaving his great coverage skills somewhat thwarted... I currently have him mocked to the browns early round 2 to play either slb or wlb with the move back to the 4-3.
                      In some ways he kinda reminds me of Adalius Thomas only lighter and a better athlete. He will be best utilised as a LB who can be depended upon in coverage situations and is a better blitzer than pass rusher. If he is given the responsiblity to be someone who gets after the QB on every play he will struggle

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                        He will be best utilised as a LB who can be depended upon in coverage situations and is a better blitzer than pass rusher. If he is given the responsiblity to be someone who gets after the QB on every play he will struggle
                        I agree 100%... in a 3-4 he would be great opposite an established pass rusher for a team like g.b. or k.c. but a team that's looking for a primary pass rusher he will be a disappointment. Just like left tackles are valued over right tackles, primary pass rushers are valued over versatile/strong side guys. In the end he'd be better at 4-3 olb where he can best take advantage if his very complete skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
                          im with you, Akeem Ayers is not really a first rounder. Maybe a very very late first rounder to a team like NYJ or GB. But i don't see the value on film. He misses alot of tackles... and we all know about his workouts. If he ran a 4.4 like Von Miller that would be something... but he ran like Brandon Spikes.
                          He shaved his 40 down to a 4.68 at his proday.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoesdad27 View Post
                            He shaved his 40 down to a 4.68 at his proday.
                            Wow!! I hate to be fair weather about a guy, but that 40 time turns Ayers into a radically different prospect to me.

His production may not be worthy of a top 20 pick, but I think most teams would love to have a player like Ayers on their roster.

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                              I think he is rated so highly(fringe first rounder IMO probably sliding into the second) because while he didn't time well he is a pretty good athlete and has been mentioned is very fluid. He is also scheme versatile and could play as an OLB in a 34 and 43 as well as occassionally rush the passer from a 3 point stance. Seldom does a player offer this much versatility and despite not being the best player it will improve his stock.
                              +1

This was determined pretty heavily on his 40 time. Personally, I think he's got a good all around game that translate well, and he's a smart player. He could do well for the Jets at 30.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information