No announcement yet.

Why Doesn't Mayock Like Justin Houston?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Doesn't Mayock Like Justin Houston?

Only asking this becuause many seem to have the Bucs taking Houston at 20 to play DE/OLB tweener.

I see some scouts and analysis range him anywhere from a top 20 prospect to rated early to mid 2nd round. I am not sure why.

He seems like he can wreck havock and very explosive off the snap. I don't question his motor at all and was very productive in the SEC.

My comparision for Houston is John Abraham of the Falcons. Can put the hand in the ground and also versatile to rush the passer in the Bucs 3-3-5 schemes they occasionally run.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
    Only asking this becuause many seem to have the Bucs taking Houston at 20 to play DE/OLB tweener.

I see some scouts and analysis range him anywhere from a top 20 prospect to rated early to mid 2nd round. I am not sure why.

He seems like he can wreck havock and very explosive off the snap. I don't question his motor at all and was very productive in the SEC.

My comparision for Houston is John Abraham of the Falcons. Can put the hand in the ground and also versatile to rush the passer in the Bucs 3-3-5 schemes they occasionally run.

Thoughts?
    I think he'll be a solid NFL pass-rusher but not a perennial pro-bowler. He has first-round value in terms of projected NFL performance but at the same time there may be 32 other guys in this draft that have a higher eventual potential ceiling. That's where you get such a variety of opinions on his draft position. Same could be said about 50 other players in this class.

In the end, I think there will be a place for him in the first round. Not sure a team like SD or KC takes him, but the Jets and Packers towards the end of the round may take a look depending on what else is available.
    Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post

Thoughts?
      the guy just screams vernon gholston at me. that might be why mayock doesnt like him. and honestly i agree with mayock. theres just something that makes me pass on him that i cant shake.

Comment

Mayock made it clear why he doesn't like Houston as a 1st rounder. He said Houston is a classic workout warrior who film simply doesn't match his physical abilities he shows in practice or at workouts. On film he couldn't find enough production to match Houston's obvious physical talents, end of story.
        The results of the Combine and pro days are then taken back to the film room to see if the physical skills a prospect exhibits can be seen in actual games and Houston came up short. Clearly he is a boom or bust prospect and not talented enough to be a 1st rounder.
        He'll still likely go round 2 but the team will have to pray that a light goes on.
        And proud of it!!!

Comment

Mayock was the BIGGEST Robert Ayers fan when he came out. I don't think he knows these players too well, and even admitted at the combine that he has a tough time evaluating linebackers

Comment

He isn't fluid enough to play 3-4 olb imho but he could be a dominate 4-3 d.e....also didn't he lead the sec in sacks?

Comment

I hate how everyone is comparing everyone to Vernon Gholston.

Gholston is a 4-3 player who never fit in the 3-4, over 3 years. It's a very tough conversion and he didn't convert. It happens. He's like 25, and he's still a world class athlete, mark my words, his football career is far from over.

Maybe teams should draft dudes with no muscles, from small schools, just to avoid another Gholston.
              my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Originally posted by roscoesdad27 View Post
                also didn't he lead the sec in sacks?
                Nick Fairley led the SEC with 11.5, Houston had 10.0.

Lets see how leading the SEC in sacks translates...

2009 - Antonio Coleman
                2008 - Carlos Dunlap, Eric Norwood
                2007 - Marcus Howard, Greg Hardy, Wallace Gilberry
                2006 - Jamaal Anderson, Derrick Harvey
                2005 - Willie Evans
                2004 - David Pollack
                Last edited by phlysac; 04-12-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post

2009 - Derrick Morgan
                  2008 - Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson, Eric Norwood
                  2005 - Willie Evans
                  2004 - David Pollack
                  point is that he did produce contrary to the portrayal that he didnt.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoesdad27 View Post
                    point is that he did produce contrary to the portrayal that he didnt.
                    I caught that, but production doesn't "necessarily" mean that the player has consistent "tape" and how that might relate to how they project in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post

2009 - Derrick Morgan
                      2008 - Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson, Eric Norwood
                      2005 - Willie Evans
                      2004 - David Pollack
                      these are some decent players. Value as well. Everyone crapped all over Carlos Dunlap pre draft, for being of dubious character... and maybe that was warranted, but the Bengals got a steal. they got a dude with top 10 measurables at mid 2nd round prices. he had 9.5 sacks last year.

Likewise Greg Hardy has made some plays for a 6th rounder or whatever he was, and gilberry had a 3 sack game last year. pretty good for undrafted.
                      my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Justin Houston, man I like him at 34 OLB better than every prospect in this draft besides Von Miller.

I don't get this talk that Houston disappears in games; if you watched Georgia last year he was always around the football and their biggest impact player on D.
                        He's a playmaker IMO. Maybe his effort in pursuit wasn't ideal all the time, I didn't get that impression BTW, but still Houston is instinctive, a natural pass rusher and can get off blocks to make plays in the run game.

For most teams he starts as a rookie.

It's funny how Houston is really not being discussed much at all on NFLN, but Mayock is crazy for saying Houston is a 2nd rounder.

I know he's not supernatural when it comes to grading players, but hyping up Robert Ayers as the likely best defensive player to come out of the 2008 draft will hang like a dead rat around Mayock's neck for years!!lol

Houston's game film for two years at UGA is impressive IMO. No one looked at Ayers 4 year career and saw anything more than JAG.

If Houston goes to GB, OMG!!!! That would be a murder squad on D.

Houston is so much more fluid than than Gholston could ever dream of being that I don't get where that comparison comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                          Justin Houston, man I like him at 34 OLB better than every prospect in this draft besides Von Miller.

I don't get this talk that Houston disappears in games; if you watched Georgia last year he was always around the football and their biggest impact player on D.
                          He's a playmaker IMO. Maybe his effort in pursuit wasn't ideal all the time, I didn't get that impression BTW, but still Houston is instinctive, a natural pass rusher and can get off blocks to make plays in the run game.

For most teams he starts as a rookie.

It's funny how Houston is really not being discussed much at all on NFLN, but Mayock is crazy for saying Houston is a 2nd rounder.

I know he's not supernatural when it comes to grading players, but hyping up Robert Ayers as the likely best defensive player to come out of the 2008 draft will hang like a dead rat around Mayock's neck for years!!lol

Houston's game film for two years at UGA is impressive IMO. No one looked at Ayers 4 year career and saw anything more than JAG.

If Houston goes to GB, OMG!!!! That would be a murder squad on D.

Houston is so much more fluid than than Gholston could ever dream of being that I don't get where that comparison comes from.
                          with all due respect he did get drafted to the broncos to play OLB which we all know is not where he belongs. word on the street is they are going back to a 4-3. make the ayers judgement this year.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuncorey View Post
                            with all due respect he did get drafted to the broncos to play OLB which we all know is not where he belongs. word on the street is they are going back to a 4-3. make the ayers judgement this year.
                            Fair enough, he deserves a chance to prove himself in a scheme more suited to his skillset, but that's being over-generous IMO.

Ayers simply wasn't an impact player at Tennessee for 4 years and most of his draft status was based on playing well against Alabama's Andre Smith.

Comment

EDIT: Never mind. Was thinking of someone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information