No announcement yet.

Mayock: "Luck is great but not once in a life-time"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if Luck went to Boston College instead of Stanford, Mayock would say he's the best QB prospect ever.
    my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

If I have to choose between Luck and RG3 Im taking Luck every time.

But I won't be shocked if Griffin is proven to be the better QB in 5 years.

Luck is the best prospect since Manning, not the best prospect since Elway

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
      Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

I think people are saying he is more "once a decade" which he is.

Follow Me on Twitter!
        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Mike Vick is probably the only once in a lifetime guy that immediately comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
            I think people are saying he is more "once a decade" which he is.
            I guess I just don't see that either. I mean look at some of the QBs from the last decade, he doesn't show anything to me that indicates he will be more special than someone like Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, or even Mark Sanchez. I just don't see anything in Luck that makes me go *wow* Sort of how I was with Matt Ryan though, who has turned into a very good QB. Not saying he's elite or anything cause he's not yet, but his tools have improved and fit the pro game better than they did at BC.

Maybe Luck will do the same thing, I just think when someone peaks so highly it makes me skeptical, so I'm leery of him. RGIII to me seems like he's not reached his potential yet, and maybe I just can't see it in Luck and I'm looking for it in RGIII.

Comment

Here's the question. Luck or Stafford as a prospect?
              Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
              oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Like others have said I do not think anyone ever said Luck was a once in a life-time prospect but that many regard him as the best prospect since Peyton Manning. I would argue that he may be the best prospect since Carson Palmer - I remember Palmer was getting a lot of hype as the perfect prototype QB leading up to the 2003 draft as well.

I would take Luck over Griffin any day of the week. People do not really appreciate the mental aspect of the game Luck has mastered - he has been coached up in a pro-style offense for his whole college career. If Luck plays in the Big 12 running the same wide open spread offense with the assistance of probably first round talent at WR (Kendall Wright) he would of put up better numbers than Griffin.

People get caught up in 40 times so they label Griffin more exciting because he will run a fast 40. For whatever reason all the "expert draftniks" seem to think Griffin will have a Newton like influence on the team that drafts him when the fact of the matter is when you peel back the layers a little Newton and Griffin are different types of players physically - its lazy journalism/analysis.

Comment

Stafford's potential was way higher, but he was touted as more of a project. Stafford was sporadic with his short throws and really only started to become good his Junior year. He had flashed his enormous potential, but he was still only a 55% passer until then.

Luck has back to back years of going over 70% and did it while showing that he could adapt to a 3 TE offense devoid of real deep threats. I would say that Stafford was the kid born with all the gifts in the world, while Luck is the prodigy that completely understands how to be successful.

I think its a matter of taste between the two. Top talent vs top skill. It just depends on how much people consider skill to be talent when evaluating them. If I'm Oakland or Jacksonville, then I'm taking Luck because I can't develop talent, but if I'm New England then I'm taking Stafford.
                  SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                  Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

I put Luck over most prototype QB prospects over the lat ten + years because of his athleticism.
                    His straight line speed is going to be one of the best for the position in the NFL, after Vick/Newton/Locker/Gabbert/Rodgers/Alex Smith.

In goal line offense, Luck is a guy who can roll out wide and take it into the endzone by himself, easily.

Comment

He reminds me of a more athletic Eli Manning (when Eli Manning is playing well ie this year). Great pre snap, can make every throw (any Luck arm strength concerns are way over blown), very accurate and very cool, calm and collected. The way Luck interviews reminds me alot of Eli.

Comment

Why are people saying best prospect since Manning? Lets remember in terms of prospect and not the NFL player. Ryan Leaf was the better prospect, had errr thing, was tough and had the rocket arm.
                        Manning didn't have the arm, other stuff
                        In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort..
                        http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...players/4.html

But they are very close replace Manning with Luck
                        Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun” that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft..

Comment

First, it is a quote by somebody besides Mayock himself. I'll wait till I hear Mayock speak on Luck himself before I jump the gun.

I still think Mayock will call him once in a decade prospect when he goes over Luck as a prospect. He's one of the best I have seen in my 55 odd years of following the draft.

Of course we are talking about Luck as a prospect, that carries no guarantee that he will be better than Peyton, Montana or Elway, just that he has that type of ceiling, which means nothing till you actually produce as a pro.

Ceiling doesn't mean you will be better than those you are compared to, just gives a prospect a mark he is capable of.
                          And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                            I put Luck over most prototype QB prospects over the lat ten + years because of his athleticism.
                            His straight line speed is going to be one of the best for the position in the NFL, after Vick/Newton/Locker/Gabbert/Rodgers/Alex Smith.

In goal line offense, Luck is a guy who can roll out wide and take it into the endzone by himself, easily.
                            Young, Steve not vince fast?

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                              Why are people saying best prospect since Manning? Lets remember in terms of prospect and not the NFL player. Ryan Leaf was the better prospect, had errr thing, was tough and had the rocket arm.
                              Manning didn't have the arm, other stuff

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...players/4.html

But they are very close replace Manning with Luck
                              I think it is crazy, I has really young and not following the Draft back then but reading that report about Peyton Manning it's like a report about Andrew Luck (Great Mental part/Mature, not a Cannon for an Arm) and the Situation this year is kinda like 1998 in that you have a Guy that has been really good for a few years and is considered the #1 Overall Pick for a year or two when a guy comes out of nowhere and people really like that guy. With Peyton/Andrew you already know what you are getting and that is a Great Player but the Upside is not as great as the other QB that has a better arm and a good player. I am not saying Andrew Luck will be Peyton Manning or Robert Griffin will be Ryan Leaf but the situation is kinda similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                                First, it is a quote by somebody besides Mayock himself. I'll wait till I hear Mayock speak on Luck himself before I jump the gun.

I still think Mayock will call him once in a decade prospect when he goes over Luck as a prospect. He's one of the best I have seen in my 55 odd years of following the draft.

Of course we are talking about Luck as a prospect, that carries no guarantee that he will be better than Peyton, Montana or Elway, just that he has that type of ceiling, which means nothing till you actually produce as a pro.

Ceiling doesn't mean you will be better than those you are compared to, just gives a prospect a mark he is capable of.
                                Mayock said it in a conference media call, bro....

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information