2014 Pro Day Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Witten4HOF View Post
    Apparently Khalil Mack improved his 40 time to 4.54 at his proday, had hand clocked times as low as 4.45.
    Wow, no wonder Mayock says he is a better prospect than Clowney. He's certainly in the running.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
      When I see times like this I really have to wonder how fast a track Mississippi's St. has. It makes it hard to accept those times. Of course, every NFL team has college's tracks pro rated based on past performances, unfortunately, those stats are unknown to us. I suspect you might have to add anywhere from .1 to .5 to those times to match up with Combine times.

Any reason why Moncrief didn't run?? Unless there is a medical factor, not running is the kiss of death for a prospect.
      Why run again when you already ran well? No point pulling something when you already showcased your athleticism. This was his opportunity to show his merit as a receiver.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
        When I see times like this I really have to wonder how fast a track Mississippi's St. has. It makes it hard to accept those times. Of course, every NFL team has college's tracks pro rated based on past performances, unfortunately, those stats are unknown to us. I suspect you might have to add anywhere from .1 to .5 to those times to match up with Combine times.

Any reason why Moncrief didn't run?? Unless there is a medical factor, not running is the kiss of death for a prospect.
        Moncrief didn't run because he ran a low 4.4 at Indy.

The combine is a total emotional and physical grind. Up at 5 AM, interviews, bench press, then the 40 and drills.

It's not like these guys got up 9AM in Indy, ate a protein bar and drank a glass of OJ then ran the 40.

That's the reason why when prospects can go back to their home campuses on a more normal schedule, many run much better in a more relaxed setting.

Experienced scouts 'know' what a 4.4 looks like when a player runs it. Or a 4.7. Or a 5 flat. As far as NFL teams are concerned pro day times are a fair measure of a prospect's speed just as much as the combine.

Even at Indy most teams get their own hand times for prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
          Moncrief didn't run because he ran a low 4.4 at Indy.

The combine is a total emotional and physical grind. Up at 5 AM, interviews, bench press, then the 40 and drills.

It's not like these guys got up 9AM in Indy, ate a protein bar and drank a glass of OJ then ran the 40.

That's the reason why when prospects can go back to their home campuses on a more normal schedule, many run much better in a more relaxed setting.

Experienced scouts 'know' what a 4.4 looks like when a player runs it. Or a 4.7. Or a 5 flat. As far as NFL teams are concerned pro day times are a fair measure of a prospect's speed just as much as the combine.

Even at Indy most teams get their own hand times for prospects.
          Sorry, I forgot he ran at Indy, my bad.

I've see college track that are much faster than Indy's even if they are hand timed. Different track are made of different materials and believe me, it can make a huge difference. Some tracks are extremely fast and some are slow. I've see as much as a .5 differential. Sometimes 2 guys who ran at Indy will run at their pro day and both will blow up their Indy times, I then look at how the other runners ran that day on that track and you can pretty well write those times off unless you know what the scouts have pro rated the track for. I only take pro Day times seriously when a guy ran a hugely disappointing 40 at Indy and then runs a superb time at his Pro Day. Sometimes prospects just have a bad day. I've been at this hobby long enough to spot suspicious times and Mississippi times have that look.
          Last edited by Iamcanadian; 03-05-2014, 03:21 AM.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

If anybody wants to follow Pro Days at NFL.com, Here is the link:

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/
            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information