Could history be made next year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could history be made next year?

If Houston get the 1st overall pick next year whats the chance they make history and pick a Safety?

Kinda good possibly.

Comment

Any safety's worthy of the #1 overall pick?

Comment

No, they would trade down and then pick a safety.

Comment

If it's ever going to happen it'll be this year. Phillips is probably going to be considered the best player in the class when position importance isn't taken in to account, and with the lack of an absolute stud QB it makes it a bit more liley. I would still only give it like a 5% chance though.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Originally posted by Emmitt Smith
          Donít quit, donít even quit.

Comment

they would trade down....at least a spot or 2. S's are now starting to change the game and athletic do it all, CB/S/LB type S's are very valuable. But not even Kenny Phillips would warrant the top overall pick. Maybe a S thats 6'3 220 and runs a 4.29 or something could warrant that pick. One thats won the thorp and has dominated college as an All American. If Arrington could be the 2nd overall pick, then I think its possible for a S with freakish measurables and production to go in the top 3....just really hesitant to ever say one would go number 1 overall

-sig by jkpigskin

Comment

i can never tell what the texans are going to do. first they get rid of david carr and bring in matt schaub? it's the same thing to me. apples and oranges ya know.

Hitman D

Comment

Originally posted by tEk View Post
                i can never tell what the texans are going to do. first they get rid of david carr and bring in matt schaub? it's the same thing to me. apples and oranges ya know.
                What?.....

Comment

In a league where a kicker went Mid-First a bunch of years ago, anything's possible.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

The team still needs a stud OT and a franchise RB. I couldn't see them picking Phillips over guys like Darren McFadden, Jake Long, and Sam Baker.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                      What?.....
                      what i am saying that carr and shcaub are not going to perform any differently with that terrible o-line.

Hitman D

Comment

I really don't care for this 'you can't take a safety #1 in the draft' crap. If that player, this year being Kenny Philips, is a no doubt, consnsus Top 5 Player in the Draft and your picking #1 and safety is your biggest need, you go out there and take him, no questions asked because more and more often now, teams are looking to take BPA instead of need, no matter where they draft. So, could it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? As of right now, too far away to tell but it definitely could if things broke that way but the way things have gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans take Campbell and just build a filthy D-Line. The Texans would be to Defensive Linemen like the Lions are to Wide Receivers.

Comment

Houston will be 8-8, so this is a non-issue.

Comment

I really don't see anyone spending a 1st overall on a saftey.

Entirely too much money for a position that is relatively cheap. That'd be a definete trade back situation.

Comment

Originally posted by DI View Post
                              I really don't care for this 'you can't take a safety #1 in the draft' crap. If that player, this year being Kenny Philips, is a no doubt, consnsus Top 5 Player in the Draft and your picking #1 and safety is your biggest need, you go out there and take him, no questions asked because more and more often now, teams are looking to take BPA instead of need, no matter where they draft. So, could it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? As of right now, too far away to tell but it definitely could if things broke that way but the way things have gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans take Campbell and just build a filthy D-Line. The Texans would be to Defensive Linemen like the Lions are to Wide Receivers.
                              You'd be willing to give a safety a contract of approximately, 6 years for $60-$65 million with $30-$35 of that guaranteed? The reason people say you can't draft certain positions high is because it doesn't make sense to invest that much money in one of the "less important" positions. That is why you rarely ever see positions like S or TE drafted in the top 5 picks. Sure, it is risky to invest that type of money into any position, but it is easier to justify giving a QB, LT, or DL that type of money than it is to a S. You also have to look at the money relative to what other guys at that position are making. If you were to give a QB the type of money it would require it would place them in the 5-10 range of highest paid QB. If you gave a S that type of money it blows Ed Reed's (the current highest paid S) contract out of the water. Most teams aren't willing to make an unproven rookie the highest paid player at his position.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information