Pre-Season Big 10 Teams and Predictions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bengalbuck View Post
    1. Wisconsin- I thin that Wisconsin is the best overall team in the Big 10. The D will be very good, probably the best in the league. The offense should be strong too. I like Beckum a lot. PJ Hill to me isn't a special back, but fits what Wisconsin does and with their very good OL should put together another big year.

I think Wisconsin's only loss will be at OSU. The Buckeyes have only lost 2 home games in the last 5 years. One was a narrow loss to Vince Young and Texas and the other was to Wisconsin. The Buckeyes don't lose at home often and after struggling a bit with Wisconsin lately, both the team and the crowd will be ready, especially since this is by far the biggest game in Columbus this year.

1. Ohio State- There would have been the potential for the Buckeyes to struggle a bit early, but thier schedule is so easy, they should pretty much walk to 8-0. By game 9, the schedule gets difficult, but the new youngsters will have had time to develop.

On defense, the Buckeyes lost a decent amount of players, but none of them were stars and none were taken in the top 96 picks of the draft. There were so many FR and SO who started or played a lot on D last year that will all be back and improved this year. The secondary was a weakness last year, but 3 talented FR (Washington, Russell, Coleman) played a ton and should be very good starters alond with JR Malcolm Jenkins. LB is loaded with Laurinaitis, Grant (watch out for this JUCO SR), and Freeman. The DTs will be young and inexperienced but the DEs will be amongst the best in the nation with Gholston a future first rounder, JR Lawrence Wilson a potential star and true SO Rob Rose another guy who could be great.

On offense, everybody know about Beanie Wells. The O line should actually be improved despite the loss of 2 solid but unspectacular interior lineman. The running game should actually be improved. The passing game won't put up 40 but if Boeckman can at least not turn it over, the D, running game and a solid passing game with Robiskie, Hartline, Small, etc. will be perfect for the style Tressel loves to play.

The Buckeyes will probably lose to either PSU on the road at night or Michigan. My guess is Hart and company finally break through against OSU and the Buckeyes share the league title with Wisconsin (and possibly Michigan too).

3. Michigan- The offense is obviously loaded, but they really lost a lot on D. Guys like Harris, Hall, and Woodley were actually underrated despite being well known. Those guys, and to a lesser extent Branch, will really be missed. Without a dominant pass rusher and with a ton of questions in the secondary this team will give up points against good offenses.

Though they will give up a good amount of points, they should score a lot too. Hart is great. He doesn't have the measurables, but I would take him on my NFL team anyday. Manningham and Arrington are great too. Michigan will miss Carson Butler. Overall though, the mediocre defense will put a lot of pressure on Henne to play great every single game. I think he'll stumble once (Wisconsin) and maybe twice (OSU).

4. Penn State- Great receivers and a senior QB. The O line and RBs are just okay. If Morelli steps up (50/50 IMO), the offense should be good. He just seems to make bad decisions or miss open guys too often.

The defense will be good, as usual, but I don't think it will be great due to the loss of some underrated DTs like Alford. They have brought in a lot of good DT recruits over the last few years, so maybe there will not be too big of a dropoff. I think that this D is good enough to dominate games against the lower teir of the Big 10, but could give up 25-30 against top teams like Michigan and I don't know if Morelli is good enough to really put together big games against good teams. Hopefully they drill ND. I see them losing 2 or 3 in the Big 10 though.

5. Purdue-The offense should be pretty good with a solid O line, a pretty good QB (Painter) and a really nice group of WRs (Lymon and Bryant). The D was young last year and should improve, but they are small at DT and up the middle of the defense. Power running teams like OSU, PSU, etc. could really do a lot of damage.

6. Iowa-I think that Christensen could actually be an upgrade over Tate, who turned into a bit of a headcase by the end of his career. If he steps up, the offense should be pretty good with the young WRs and TEs all due for some improvement.

The D line should be very good with Iwebema and company. I just don't know if they have enough speed in the back 7 to keep up with top passing teams which will force the offense to have to score a lot. With a young QB there will be some growing pains.

7. MIchigan St.- This is a team that I think will play better than their talent. I think they will play more as a team and show more poise than they have in the past. That starts with the coach and should continue with the QB. Solid RBs will help.

Still, while I think they will be better coached and more consistent, they just don't have the talent to compete with the top teams like OSU, UM, etc. yet.

8. Indiana- An exciting young offense should win them a few games but their D is pretty bad still.

9. Illinois- The most overrated team in the Big 10. Yes, they had some close losses last year. But, this team is 2-28 in their last 30 Big 10 games. Unless Juice Williams improves a lot, the offense (with a mediocre line) will be inconsistent. And the D was not as good as it appeared last year, with a lot of teams playing conservative in the second half of games because they knew they already had enough point to win. Plus, Zook seems to be a weak coach and Illinois just seems to do all of the little things that good teams do well pretty badly. Like special teams.

10. Northwestern- Just mediocre. Slow and undersized on D though they do have some young DEs who could end up being pretty good. Sutton always runs hard, but the rest of the offense is just okay.

11. Minnesota-Not much talent and some of their best players are in trouble with the law. Trying to bring in a new offense may be good in the long run, but could hurt the running game (pretty much the only thing they do well) in the short run. They'll also really miss Spaeth who was very underrated.

Hey man I don't agree with all your picks, but I give you credit for explaining them. The Ohio State defense will be very good but they're gonna need a QB to step up. There's talent at the RB (Love Beanie Wells) position as well as OL and raw, unproven talent at WR, but I don't know if their offense will be good enough to beat Wisconsin, Michigan and maybe even PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by bengalbuck View Post

3. Michigan- The offense is obviously loaded, but they really lost a lot on D. Guys like Harris, Hall, and Woodley were actually underrated despite being well known. Those guys, and to a lesser extent Branch, will really be missed. Without a dominant pass rusher and with a ton of questions in the secondary this team will give up points against good offenses.

Though they will give up a good amount of points, they should score a lot too. Hart is great. He doesn't have the measurables, but I would take him on my NFL team anyday. Manningham and Arrington are great too. Michigan will miss Carson Butler. Overall though, the mediocre defense will put a lot of pressure on Henne to play great every single game. I think he'll stumble once (Wisconsin) and maybe twice (OSU).
      Sorry I also meant to comment on your Michigan blurb. On offense, like you said, there's a lot returning, but there's also a lot coming in. I expect Webb to see some PT at TE very early, and good God can you imagine if Carr dusts off a *GASP!* Shotgun formation with 4 wideouts? Imagine Manningham, Arrington, Matthews and someone like Toney Clemons. Ok, I'm dreaming, but it can happen right? ;)

Anyway, offense isn't the question for Michigan. I know we lost a lot on D, but it can be made up. Terrance Taylor is a man beast and he will be the anchor of the d-line. EA Sports thought enough of Brandon Graham to make him a 99 ;)Obviously he's not that good but he'll show why he was such a highly recruited prospect. He's quicker and faster than LaMarr Woodley was IMO. Shawn Crable will be one of our OLB and in any other conference that's not loaded at LB he would be a first team all-conference. Jonas Mouton, redshirt frosh, is a converted safety who has bulked up and will see significant PT at OLB as well. In the middle you could see Obi Ezeh or last year's NJCAA DPOY Austin Panter., both of whom have loads of potential.

The corners scare me, at least until Warren starts to play. (Can't wait for Warren/Cissoko, but that's for another day). Trent needs to be better than last year, and Sears needs to do something. Anything. Trent doesn't get beat deep very often, which is nice, and may be able to make more plays since the safeties have been upgraded. Stevie Brown will make a nice FS and Jamar Adams could be an All-Big 10 pick.

Obviously it would be ridiculous of me to expect all these guys to pan out to their fullest potential and I may be a homer in saying this, but I really think Michigan finishes in the top 2 in the Big 10 if not win it.

Comment

Michigans secondary is not the strongest in the world, hell I would even say it is pretty damn bad, but it is better than the passing offenses in the Big Ten. I do not see 1 QB that scares me. Every team is gonna have to rely on running the ball with the exception of Purdue and Michigan. So the secondary play will not be as important as it was last year with QBs like Stanton, Smith, tate, Stocco all being gone.

So if people are looking at the secondary losing Michigan games this year, what QB is gonna beat them?

Originally posted by supermario86
        Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbs24 View Post
          Michigans secondary is not the strongest in the world, hell I would even say it is pretty damn bad, but it is better than the passing offenses in the Big Ten. I do not see 1 QB that scares me. Every team is gonna have to rely on running the ball with the exception of Purdue and Michigan. So the secondary play will not be as important as it was last year with QBs like Stanton, Smith, tate, Stocco all being gone.

So if people are looking at the secondary losing Michigan games this year, what QB is gonna beat them?
          If the Badgers and Tyler Donavan can get Travis Beckum the ball then Michigan is going to have a long day.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
            If the Badgers and Tyler Donavan can get Travis Beckum the ball then Michigan is going to have a long day.
            A undersized TE is the least of our worries. Mouton and/or Crable can take care of him.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
              A undersized TE is the least of our worries. Mouton and/or Crable can take care of him.
              Strength of a TE but the speed of a receiver....I think he'll present problems

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                Strength of a TE but the speed of a receiver....I think he'll present problems
                Jonas Mouton. Size of a linebacker, speed of a safety. Guess we'll see.

Comment

Jonas Mouton. Size of a linebacker, speed of a safety. Guess we'll see.
                  Travis Beckum has the athleticism of a receiver at the tight end postition.. he's plenty big

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests

Comment

Originally posted by wiscbadgerfootball View Post
                    Travis Beckum has the athleticism of a receiver at the tight end postition.. he's plenty big
                    He's not plenty big for a TE. Sorry, but 6'4 220 is not plenty big for a TE. That's actually plenty small. He's a good receiver but he's not big.

Comment

He's not plenty big for a TE. Sorry, but 6'4 220 is not plenty big for a TE. That's actually plenty small. He's a good receiver but he's not big.
                      well considering Jonas Mouton is 230 lbs and a freshman.. I'm not really scared

Comment

well considering Jonas Mouton is 230 lbs and a freshman.. I'm not really scared
                        What's wrong with freshmen? Your boy PJ Hill was a freshman last year look what he did. Considering Mouton is bigger and faster than Beckum I'll take my chances.

Comment

What's wrong with freshmen? Your boy PJ Hill was a freshman last year look what he did. Considering Mouton is bigger and faster than Beckum I'll take my chances.
                          bigger- yes by 10 pounds
                          faster- doubt it

Comment

bigger- yes by 10 pounds
                            faster- doubt it
                            Ok whatever you want to think. Beckum and Hill didn't do jack against us last year, and I expect the same this year.

Comment

Ok whatever you want to think. Beckum and Hill didn't do jack against us last year, and I expect the same this year.
                              I respect your confidence in your team because I'm the same way.. I guess we'll just have to wait until the game

Comment

Hill was a redshirt so physically he was a sophomore. and 6' 4" plenty big for a TE but i do agree that he needs to add about thirty pounds which will be plenty hard to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information