Big 10 looking to add a new team???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    Never gonna happen. The NYC metro area is just getting into College Football big because of RU. Taking them out of the Big East which they ahve been in forever and moving them to the Big 10 would lose the interest of the people here in the area. Big East basketball is too important to them.

Geographically and for rivalry reasons, Iowa St. probably makes the most sense. Not sure how that school is academically. The Big 12 could then pull a number of teams to join the Big 12 as a replacement. TCU anyone?
    The creation of the Big Ten Network means that that the Big 10 will probably need to look at adding a 12th team which can deliver a large television market. Rutgers would be appealing in that sense.

If the Big 10 was interested there is no way in hell Rutgers wouldn't leap at the chance to join regardless of geography. The additional 10-12 million a year more RU could make in the Big Ten would guarantee it. The Big Ten is the best combination of academics and athletics there is. If you are a major research institution, you want to be associated with Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin, etc. - not South Florida, WVU, etc. Let's be honest here. And The number of Michigan, Penn State, and ND fans in the area leads me to believe that joining the Big 10 would not cause people to lose interest in RU.
    Last edited by Basileus777; 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Rutgers won't be invited to the Big 10. They can't compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin on a regular basis. They came in 3rd in their conference out of essentially 3 legit teams this year. I'm not saying they arent somewhat good now, but they will return to their old ways soon enough. They just can't compete in recruiting with any of the "Big" Big 10 schools because they aren't in a football rich area and don't have strong pull nationally.

Even the sound of it "Ohio State vs. Rutgers" sounds like a route to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Basileus777 View Post
        If the Big 10 was interested there is no way in hell Rutgers wouldn't leap at the chance to join regardless of geography.
        That's ridiculous. Rutgers isn't going anywhere.

Originally posted by VY10 View Post
        can't compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin on a regular basis. They came in 3rd in their conference out of essentially 3 legit teams this year. I'm not saying they arent somewhat good now, but they will return to their old ways soon enough. They just can't compete in recruiting with any of the "Big" Big 10 schools because they aren't in a football rich area and don't have strong pull nationally.
        It's Ohio State and Michigan and then everyone else. Not like the Wisconsins of the world get it done with elite recruiting. They develop players, just like Rutgers.

Why will Rutgers regress when the team just had its best recruiting year ever? NJ is a very football rich area, much better than Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, or Wisconsin.

Rutgers will have strong pull nationally. It's a media darling with the New York market on its side. And it's going to happen in the Big East.
        Last edited by Jonny; 07-26-2007, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
          That's ridiculous. Rutgers isn't going anywhere.

It's Ohio State and Michigan and then everyone else. Not like the Wisconsins of the world get it done with elite recruiting. They develop players, just like Rutgers.

Why will Rutgers regress when the team just had its best recruiting year ever? NJ is a very football rich area, much better than Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, or Wisconsin.

Rutgers will have strong pull nationally. It's a media darling with the New York market on its side. And it's going to happen in the Big East.
          Haha...Rutgers has a year and a half of decent football and you're putting them on par with Penn State and Wisconsin? Give me a break. Way to almost win the Big East. You're almost as prestigious a program as South Florida. Here's a cookie.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
            not to mention that the Big 10 is and has always traditionally been a midwest conference...so there's prolly a less than 1% chance of it adding an eastern/western team that isn't even remotely close to the others...I mean look at when they added PSU, which is considered an "eastern" team, a lot of fans and schools went apeshit because they didn't really want to add them
            *Raises hand*

That's why I think if they are serious about it, and Notre Dame opts out, it should be Louisville, Cincinnatti, Iowa State, Pittsburgh, or Missouri. Obviously Cincinnatti sucks at football but they've got the history to at least compete in basketball. There are some potential MAC programs but the problem is that most of them are in Ohio and Michigan and those states are owned by the big two.

Comment

Penn State recently won only 3 games. My point was solely that neither is on the level of an Ohio State or Michigan. Not even close.

Have you ever even seen South Florida play? They're the 2nd best team in Florida and a sure-fire top 25 team. They're really good.

Comment

Penn State recently won only 3 games. My point was solely that neither is on the level of an Ohio State or Michigan. Not even close.

Have you ever even seen South Florida play? They're the 2nd best team in Florida and a sure-fire top 25 team. They're really good.
                There is a difference between being good for a year or two and being a good program. Do you mean to tell me that you think South Florida is the 2nd best program in the state, or as of this year the 2nd best, there is a huge difference.

I understood your point, but that's like saying neither five dollars or a thousand dollars is a million dollars so they must be the same. Just because Penn State and Wisconsin aren't the programs that Ohio State and Michigan are doesn't mean Rutgers even belongs in the same sentence as them. Put Rutgers in the Big Ten and they are at best battling with Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan State as the teams that sometimes sneak into 3rd or 4th.

Comment

I'm going to go with at least FSU or Miami will be better than USF this year, but USF is a good team...I think Iowa St. or Pitt are obviously the best choices

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                    There is a difference between being good for a year or two and being a good program. Do you mean to tell me that you think South Florida is the 2nd best program in the state, or as of this year the 2nd best, there is a huge difference.

I understood your point, but that's like saying neither five dollars or a thousand dollars is a million dollars so they must be the same. Just because Penn State and Wisconsin aren't the programs that Ohio State and Michigan are doesn't mean Rutgers even belongs in the same sentence as them. Put Rutgers in the Big Ten and they are at best battling with Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan State as the teams that sometimes sneak into 3rd or 4th.
                    whoa now...let's not get over our head here...Minny competing for 3rd or 4th? this is still the football thread right? not hockey?

Comment

Put Rutgers in the Big Ten and they are at best battling with Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan State as the teams that sometimes sneak into 3rd or 4th.
                      So will Missouri, Pitt, Iowa State, Louisville or any other potential Big 10 member other than ND.

Comment

USF is not the second best team in Florida on a year by year basis. Some people get too caught up in what a team does for one season. Rutgers hasn't done **** to deserve being in the Big 10. As of right now they'd be scrapping for 5th place.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                          whoa now...let's not get over our head here...Minny competing for 3rd or 4th? this is still the football thread right? not hockey?
                          Minnesota has been a solid team over the last ten years. Nothing spectacular but they've generally been anywhere from 4th-6th and made a bowl game. They've been more successful than Michigan State, the other team I mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Basileus777 View Post
                            So will Missouri, Pitt, Iowa State, Louisville or any other potential Big 10 member other than ND.
                            Louisville has the facilities, fan base, coaches, and money to compete in the Big Ten in both football and basketball.

Comment

Minnesota has been a solid team over the last ten years. Nothing spectacular but they've generally been anywhere from 4th-6th and made a bowl game. They've been more successful than Michigan State, the other team I mentioned.
                              haha I'm just giving you a hard time...MSU blows, they are especially good in 2nd halves of seasons...

I just can't see the Big 10 adding a team so far east/west as Rutgers, it just doesn't make sense to me when they can add a comparable team from the midwest (excluding Pitt because of PSU))

Comment

For those who say CMU. I would have a seizure from excitement if the Chippewas made it to the Big 10.

Now their chances of making it. CMU hasn't been that good football wise. They have been average at best in the MAC. They haven't had a serious program since Brian Kelly came (and then left for Cinci). Mt. Pleasant isn't that great of a Sports College and not that appealing to recruits. I do gotta say they are tremendously growing academically. They arebuilding some beautiful new buildings and there were talks of making a medical school.

They have been continually been killed by Michigan. They have lost to Indiana a couple of times and Mich. St.

So academically rising, but I just can't see them joining the likes of the Big 10.

Sorry for the long post, I was too excited reading about my Chippewas on an actual website.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information