Ohio State 2007 Discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State 2007 Discussion thread

I know other teams have threads for 2007, and there are a lot of buckeye fans here, so i figured i'd start this off here.
    Browns & Buckeyes <3

Camp starts Monday- here are some pics from the check in...

Alex Boone in REAL good shape.

James Laurinaitis has no neck. Literally. Crazy..

Chris Wells is Massive..

Malcolm Jenkins

And of course Robert Rose is a complete freak. Last person on earth I'd want to get in a fight with.

Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

http://theozone.net/football/2007/Fa...equestions.htm

Buckeyes Open Fall Camp a Team Looking for Answers On Offense
      By John Porentas

The Buckeyes reported for fall camp earlier today and will open camp tomorrow in preparation for the 2007 season. When they do they will be a team looking to fill some very big shoes on the offensive side of the ball.

Graduation and early departures always take a toll on a college football team, but its hard to imagine a team losing more offensive skill than the Buckeyes did at the end of last season. Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Troy Smith is gone, game breaking receiver Ted Ginn is gone, All-Big Ten receiver Anthony Gonzalez is gone, and reliable tailback Antonio Pittman is gone, all now on NFL rosters. The mass exodus of firepower probably means that the OSU offense will be very different in 2007.

Marcus Freeman
      Photo by Jim Davidson
      "It's not going to be the Troy Smith, Teddy Ginn, Antonio Pittman show that it was last year," said linebacker Marcus Freeman.

The quarterback position has been well-publicized and will be an ongoing battle between Todd Boeckman, Robby Schoenhoft and Antonio Henton. Boeckman had an edge after spring ball with Schoenhoft in the number two spot, but according to OSU Head Coach Jim Tressel, that number one spot is still open and will likely remain that way even after the season begins. That's because all three candidates have precious little game experience.

"We won't be settled at quarterback going into the season because no one will have done anything in a game," Tressel said at the Big Ten Media Days last week.

Jim Tressel
      Photo by Jim Davidson
      "You know we're going to play more than one quarterback in the first couple of games, that's what we try to do. Things don't become settled until there's some proof (in a game)."

The quarterback spot will be critical, but the loss of Ginn at wide receiver may have as much or even more impact on the Buckeyes this season. Ginn made plays and put pressure on defenses, and that made things easier for everyone else on the field for the OSU offense.

"I know a lot of defensive coordinators around the country have to game plan for him because there's not that many people who can deal with that speed," said OSU defensive back Malcolm Jenkins of the impact Ginn had on the game.

The Buckeyes will be looking for a play-making threat at the wide receiver spot. None are as yet proven in game conditions, and that is a concern, but there are some candidates. The name that comes up the most when players on the current roster are asked who that might be is Ray Small.

Malcolm Jenkins
      "I think Ray Small, if he continues to develop as a receiver, he can bring that kind of action from people and I think Brian Robiske can change a game plan for somebody," said Jenkins.

"Last year he (Small) used to give the first defense the fits. He would be on scout team and he would get us cursed out every day. He's going to be a good one," Jenkins said.

"Hopefully after game one we're going to see that we're going to have new playmakers," said Freeman.

"I know as an offense we're going to gel together and do different things this year. Hopefully we'll get a lot out of Beanie Wells and a lot out of Mo Wells and whatever quarterback does come in will step up and help this team."

The Buckeyes will indeed probably lean more heavily on the running game this season, but if the offense is to be really effective, a new playmaker at wide receiver will have to emerge. Robiske is confident that will happen, or that even if it doesn't, the Buckeyes have enough quality at wide receiver to overwhelm secondaries with numbers.

Brian Robiske
      "That (having a game breaker like Ginn) definitely helps because that kind of draws some of the attention away from some of the other guys on the field," said Robiske.

"It helps with some of the things the guys can do to put guys in different positions. But I think when you have a number of guys who are all capable of doing some pretty good things it definitely helps just having a good group of guys.

"I think we've got four or five guys who are really capable of doing some good things. I think we've got a couple of running backs and a couple of receivers that might not have played a lot but that this year they've worked hard in the off-season and they all know what it takes to be successful, to do the things that Teddy did, that Gonzo did.

"I think that he's (a new playmaker) there. I think we'll find out in camp what guy he is and when he's going to emerge. We've got a couple of those guys."

A receiver out wide that strikes fear into the hearts of defenses would be huge for the Buckeyes. Another option would be incorporate the tight end more into the passing game to force the secondary to cover areas of the field they once could leave relatively open, and according to the players we've spoken to this fall, returning tight end Rory Nicol has made tremendous strides as a receiver since last season ended.

"In seven on seven drills he's been killing guys, so hopefully he can continue to emerge going into his junior year," said offensive tackle Kirk Barton.

"Rory has just gotten a lot better," added linebacker James Laurinaitis who went head to head with Nicol during seven on seven drills this summer.

:"He's experienced and he's gotten a lot better. It's exciting to see him getting in and out of routes quicker, stuff like that."

Related Story: Buckeye Defense Looking for Help up the Middle.

Return to the-Ozone Columns and Features

Return to the-OZone Front Page

(c) 2007 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
      This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.
      Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

http://theozone.net/football/2007/Fa...equestions.htm

Football
        Buckeyes Open Fall Camp a Team Looking for Answers On Offense
        By John Porentas

The Buckeyes reported for fall camp earlier today and will open camp tomorrow in preparation for the 2007 season. When they do they will be a team looking to fill some very big shoes on the offensive side of the ball.

Graduation and early departures always take a toll on a college football team, but its hard to imagine a team losing more offensive skill than the Buckeyes did at the end of last season. Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Troy Smith is gone, game breaking receiver Ted Ginn is gone, All-Big Ten receiver Anthony Gonzalez is gone, and reliable tailback Antonio Pittman is gone, all now on NFL rosters. The mass exodus of firepower probably means that the OSU offense will be very different in 2007.

Marcus Freeman
        Photo by Jim Davidson
        "It's not going to be the Troy Smith, Teddy Ginn, Antonio Pittman show that it was last year," said linebacker Marcus Freeman.

The quarterback position has been well-publicized and will be an ongoing battle between Todd Boeckman, Robby Schoenhoft and Antonio Henton. Boeckman had an edge after spring ball with Schoenhoft in the number two spot, but according to OSU Head Coach Jim Tressel, that number one spot is still open and will likely remain that way even after the season begins. That's because all three candidates have precious little game experience.

"We won't be settled at quarterback going into the season because no one will have done anything in a game," Tressel said at the Big Ten Media Days last week.

Jim Tressel
        Photo by Jim Davidson
        "You know we're going to play more than one quarterback in the first couple of games, that's what we try to do. Things don't become settled until there's some proof (in a game)."

The quarterback spot will be critical, but the loss of Ginn at wide receiver may have as much or even more impact on the Buckeyes this season. Ginn made plays and put pressure on defenses, and that made things easier for everyone else on the field for the OSU offense.

"I know a lot of defensive coordinators around the country have to game plan for him because there's not that many people who can deal with that speed," said OSU defensive back Malcolm Jenkins of the impact Ginn had on the game.

The Buckeyes will be looking for a play-making threat at the wide receiver spot. None are as yet proven in game conditions, and that is a concern, but there are some candidates. The name that comes up the most when players on the current roster are asked who that might be is Ray Small.

Malcolm Jenkins
        "I think Ray Small, if he continues to develop as a receiver, he can bring that kind of action from people and I think Brian Robiske can change a game plan for somebody," said Jenkins.

"Last year he (Small) used to give the first defense the fits. He would be on scout team and he would get us cursed out every day. He's going to be a good one," Jenkins said.

"Hopefully after game one we're going to see that we're going to have new playmakers," said Freeman.

"I know as an offense we're going to gel together and do different things this year. Hopefully we'll get a lot out of Beanie Wells and a lot out of Mo Wells and whatever quarterback does come in will step up and help this team."

The Buckeyes will indeed probably lean more heavily on the running game this season, but if the offense is to be really effective, a new playmaker at wide receiver will have to emerge. Robiske is confident that will happen, or that even if it doesn't, the Buckeyes have enough quality at wide receiver to overwhelm secondaries with numbers.

Brian Robiske
        "That (having a game breaker like Ginn) definitely helps because that kind of draws some of the attention away from some of the other guys on the field," said Robiske.

"It helps with some of the things the guys can do to put guys in different positions. But I think when you have a number of guys who are all capable of doing some pretty good things it definitely helps just having a good group of guys.

"I think we've got four or five guys who are really capable of doing some good things. I think we've got a couple of running backs and a couple of receivers that might not have played a lot but that this year they've worked hard in the off-season and they all know what it takes to be successful, to do the things that Teddy did, that Gonzo did.

"I think that he's (a new playmaker) there. I think we'll find out in camp what guy he is and when he's going to emerge. We've got a couple of those guys."

A receiver out wide that strikes fear into the hearts of defenses would be huge for the Buckeyes. Another option would be incorporate the tight end more into the passing game to force the secondary to cover areas of the field they once could leave relatively open, and according to the players we've spoken to this fall, returning tight end Rory Nicol has made tremendous strides as a receiver since last season ended.

"In seven on seven drills he's been killing guys, so hopefully he can continue to emerge going into his junior year," said offensive tackle Kirk Barton.

"Rory has just gotten a lot better," added linebacker James Laurinaitis who went head to head with Nicol during seven on seven drills this summer.

:"He's experienced and he's gotten a lot better. It's exciting to see him getting in and out of routes quicker, stuff like that."
        Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

Chris Wells makes me want to go in hiding and not come out.

Comment

Lauranitus is my neighbor. Well he lives about 6 apartments down.

Comment

Its going to be interesting to see who gets the starting QB job... Boeckman is the for sure favorite right now. But, Antonio Henton might give him a run during camp. Henton had a terrible Spring Game though...

Comment

I would be shocked if Schoenhoft or Henton won the job. Both have been turnover machines so far in practice this year. Boeckman has had Tressel's playbook since 2003.....that's almost 5 years so far and he's only a junior. (grayshirt + redshirt).

Comment

Laurinaitis is a MONSTER. Eric Lichter has to be one of the best S & C coaches in the country.
                  Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

agreed. I'm excited for this season. I think it will be a great year. I'm glad to see Wisconsin is coming to the shoe this season, that game will most likely decide who wins the Big Ten

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeyes View Post
                      agreed. I'm excited for this season. I think it will be a great year. I'm glad to see Wisconsin is coming to the shoe this season, that game will most likely decide who wins the Big Ten
                      There's a team in Michigan that may decide that too

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Who? That state up north... It will just be another loss for Henne against The Buckeyes. 0-4 in his career against them, that will be rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeyes View Post
                          Who? That state up north... It will just be another loss for Henne against The Buckeyes. 0-4 in his career against them, that will be rough.
                          Should we even play the game? I'm pretty sure Henne is 0-3 right now. I'll guarantee a win vs. OSU this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                            Should we even play the game? I'm pretty sure Henne is 0-3 right now. I'll guarantee a win vs. OSU this year.
                            I'm more afraid of Penn State and Wisconsin this year, and that has nothing to do with Lloyd Carr and past history.

Michigan will be alike to Notre Dame of 2005 and 2006. A good offense, but a terrible back 7, and only a few good playmakers on defense.

Some teams (penn state, USC, Florida) you can see their depth will come up for them in positions they lose out on alike to Leon Hall leaving. However, Morgan Trent was BAD last year and the thought he's going to be the #1 corner is almost funny. Their safeties are decent at best, and if they resort to putting in Donovan Warren at the #2 corner position, they're going to be in dire straits.

Michigan was good in 2006 because of their defense, not because of their offense believe it or not. English is a GREAT coach and will probably take over once Carr leaves, but the impact of bad defensive back recruiting the past 2-3 years is really going to hit hard for Michigan this year.

They're going to have a tough time with Oregon or any team with a half decent offense this year.
                            Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                              wow that's pretty bold coming from a follower of 5 loss LLoyd

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information