I don't like the idea of indies.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like the idea of indies.

I think that every team -- Notre Dame football included -- should be a member of a conference. In fact, being in West Point, NY & Annapolis, MD, respectively, I have thought for a few years that Army and Navy would be a perfect fit in the Big East. When a conference votes to boot a school out, fine, but, under my proposal, you would have 2 years to find a conference; that should be plenty of time. This would make the oft-discussed (especially on here) idea of a playoff more feasible.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.

Well I'll take the bait and make a response.

It's every school's choice to decide to be affiliated with a conference or not to be. For most schools, it is in their best interest to be affiliated because of money and scheduling/bowl purposes.

Army and Navy are special cases. I can't see either team ever becoming a contender, so being independent allows them to schedule games with traditional rivals, and gives them a chance to have a winning record to make it into a bowl game. I believe they have ties to the poinsettia bowl or something.

ND might not be in a conference, but they have enough rivalry games to lock down a consistent schedule every season. I would say most people look at Notre Dame as a Catholic school rather than a school from Indiana. It's just tradition that they play a national schedule. Honestly would you rather see ND/USC or ND/Minnesota every year?

Making these three teams join a conference would be bad for college football. Army and Navy would get destroyed in the Big East, and they shouldn't ever join the MAC for conformity's sake. Notre Dame, like it or not is really a national team because of their religious affiliation and tradition.

Comment

Is western kentucky going to the sun belt?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by NDfootball View Post

ND might not be in a conference, but they have enough rivalry games to lock down a consistent schedule every season. I would say most people look at Notre Dame as a Catholic school rather than a school from Indiana. It's just tradition that they play a national schedule. Honestly would you rather see ND/USC or ND/Minnesota every year?
        You could easily have Minnesota and USC on the schedule every year. A lot of teams have an OOC rival that they play on a yearly basis, don't use a weak excuse like that. ND plays SC and Michigan and ND is neither in the Pac-10 or Big Ten.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
          You could easily have Minnesota and USC on the schedule every year. A lot of teams have an OOC rival that they play on a yearly basis, don't use a weak excuse like that. ND plays SC and Michigan and ND is neither in the Pac-10 or Big Ten.
          Maybe everyone should learn the history of ND and conferences before they go off. ND tried to join the Big 10 many times, but was rebuffed. So they managed to get a schedule that suits their annual needs without the need for a conference, along with great recruiting benefits. Now people want them in a conference. Tough.

If ND joins the Big 10, 3 of their 4 OOC games become USC, Stanford, and Navy. Not much scheduling room. What fun.

Join the Big East or any other major conference? Then a choice has to be made to eliminate USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, or Navy from the schedule. I'm not really for the whole possibility of rotating them.

The Pac-10 is geographically insane, so I'm not gonna discuss it.

Fact is, joining a conference no longer makes sense for ND.

Comment

Originally posted by JayP View Post
            Maybe everyone should learn the history of ND and conferences before they go off. ND tried to join the Big 10 many times, but was rebuffed. So they managed to get a schedule that suits their annual needs without the need for a conference, along with great recruiting benefits. Now people want them in a conference. Tough.

If ND joins the Big 10, 3 of their 4 OOC games become USC, Stanford, and Navy. Not much scheduling room. What fun.

Join the Big East or any other major conference? Then a choice has to be made to eliminate USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, or Navy from the schedule. I'm not really for the whole possibility of rotating them.

yes that is why for years the big 10 has tried to get them in conference and they say no...and by years I'm talking atleast 20...and just because ND doesn't want to give up being able to schedule whoever they want and facing the fact that they might not be able to play Navy, Army, Coast Guard, etc. every year doesn't mean that "it no longer makes sense for ND"...I agree that being an Independent at this point is great for ND, but for everyother Independent being in a conference would be more beneficial...ND fans just need to quit with the idea that "Oh, we have tried to be a part of conferences but no one wanted us so now we've done good as an independent and everyone wants us but too bad cuz we can't change because it will be too much work to not be able to do whatever the hell we want" motto...it's really old

Comment

Yea, then how would ND pack in powerhouses Army, Air Force, UNC, and Duke to round out their schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by CC View Post
                Yea, then how would ND pack in powerhouses Army, Air Force, UNC, and Duke to round out their schedule?
                If ND was in the Big 10, then they'd have Northwestern, IU, & Illinois to beat on, along with whatever other Big 10 team was down and out that year....just like OSU and Michigan do.

Big East? Syracuse, UConn, & Pitt.

ACC? Duke, UNC, & NC State.

Big 12? Iowa St., Baylor,& Colorado.

SEC? Vandy, Ole Miss, & Mississippi State.

Face facts...the same "pansies" from BCS conferences are being whipped by someone else annually. If they can do it, why can't ND?

BTW, didn't AF give Tennessee the scare of a lifetime at Tennessee last year? Doesn't sound like a pushover team to me.

Comment

BTW, didn't AF give Tennessee the scare of a lifetime at Tennessee last year? Doesn't sound like a pushover team to me.
                  Keep trying to convince yourself of that. ND beat them by 22 and ND sucked last year. Yeah, they're not a pushover ;)

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                    Keep trying to convince yourself of that. ND beat them by 22 and ND sucked last year. Yeah, they're not a pushover ;)
                    Well lets look at Michigans 2006 Sched...
                    Vanderbilt
                    Cen Michigan

notre dame
                    wisconsin
                    minnesota
                    mich st
                    penn st
                    iowa
                    northwestern
                    Ball St
                    indiana

tOSU

not too much tougher than ND's

Comment

ND should be punished for not being in a conference. They aren't just for the money. They could still play OOC USC and play their Big 10 schedule.

Anyways I guess it is irrelevant. Notre Dame hasn't won a bowl game since like 1993. Jesus that was a long time ago for a prestigious program.

Comment

Originally posted by VY10 View Post
                        ND should be punished for not being in a conference. They aren't just for the money. They could still play OOC USC and play their Big 10 schedule.

Anyways I guess it is irrelevant. Notre Dame hasn't won a bowl game since like 1993. Jesus that was a long time ago for a prestigious program.
                        somethin tells me they'll be in a small bowl this year and win

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                          Vanderbilt
                          Cen Michigan

notre dame
                          wisconsin
                          minnesota
                          mich st
                          penn st
                          iowa
                          northwestern
                          Ball St
                          indiana

tOSU

I might go as far to say that ND was equally tough..

Michigan, GT, PSU, MSU, Purdue, Stanford, UCLA, USC, LSU..

UNC, AF, Army, Navy, seemed like their only pushovers.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Honestly, I feel that until ND joins a conference, there will never be a playoff in college football. ND will continue to be against a playoff as long as they're an indie, because once a playoff is instituted, be a 4 team or 8 team or whatever, ND will no longer be able to slide into BCS games as long as they're ranked in the top 100 in the nation(sarcasm, for those of you who take everything literally and you ND jobbers. I realize they only have to be in the top 70, come on)

That leads into the money issue. The would first lose the money that they reap from being mediocre but playing in BCS games. They would also most likely lose their exclusive TV contract that the reap the benifits of alone. Even if the contract wasn't outright gone, they'd have to share at least a portion of that with the conference. As it stands now, they keep basically everything to the themselves. No, I think it will be a long time before we see ND in a conference, and almost as long until we see a playoff.

Originally posted by Jakey
                            WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                              Vanderbilt
                              Cen Michigan

notre dame
                              wisconsin
                              minnesota
                              mich st
                              penn st
                              iowa
                              northwestern
                              Ball St
                              indiana

tOSU

I didn't compare the difficulty did I? Jay was trying to claim Air Force isn't a pushover. I've always said those games weren't any good. At least I don't try to pass off Air Force as a good team

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information