No announcement yet.

Appalachian State stuns Michigan in Michigan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I caught the last of the fourth quarter and I saw Henne looked like ****. Idk he play'd in the first half but in the 4th he blew.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

• I can't say this is undeserved after all the whining Carr did last December and into the off-season.

Comment

• Jerry Moore for HC at Michigan!!!!

Originally posted by Morgan Freeman
        Titty sprinkles

Comment

• Originally posted by ncst8fan83 View Post
          Jerry Moore for HC at Michigan!!!!
          Here is my write-up on possible coaching candidates for Michigan should Lloyd Carr step down at the end of the season:

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
          Les Miles - This is the most widely speculated replacement of them all. Miles got into trouble not too long ago for publicly stating that Michigan is his dream job. Michigan is Miles' alma mater and he had two stints there as an assistant coach. Miles was a Michigan assistant from 1980-1982 and again from 1987-1995. Miles has recruited real well since becoming the Head Coach of LSU. In 2006 he had the 7th best recruiting class and in 2007 he pulled in the 4th best class. He's 23-4 in two plus years at LSU and 28-21 in four years at Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State was 13-20 in the three years before Miles became the Head Coach.

Ron English - This is probably the favorite among Michigan fans. In 2006 gone were the boring vanilla defenses of Jim Hermann and Ron English took over as Defensive Coordinator after spending three seasons as the Secondary Coach. In just his first season as the Defensive Coordinator of Michigan English put out one of the best defenses in the nation. In 2006 Michigan was ranked 1st against the run, 10th in total defense, 15th in scoring defense and the unit also finished 4th in sacks and 7th in first down percentage. Previously before coming to Michigan English spent five seasons coaching the secondary at Arizona State.

Mike Trgovac - Here is a legit possibility in my opinion that no one seems to talk about. Trgovac, the Defensive Coordinator of the Carolina Panthers, has been discussed in NFL circles a possible candidate for a job as a NFL Head Coach. Trgovac is a Michigan alum and was an All-American lineman at U-M. Trogovac has been the Defensive Coordinator for the Panther for 5 years now. In the span, the Panthers have had one of the best defenses in the NFL. Over the five seasons they rank 5th in total yards allowed and 9th in rushing yards allowed. His coaching resume is not too shabby either. He was a graduate assistant at Michigan from 1984-1985. He also coached at Ball State, Navy, Colorado State, and was Lou Holtz's assistant coach at Notre Dame from 1992-1994. He has been in the NFL for the past 12 years.

Jim Harbaugh - Most Michigan fans know him as one of the top five quarterbacks to play at Michigan. Harbaugh played in the NFL for 14 seasons before retiring. He spent time with the Bears, Colts, Ravens, Chargers, and Panthers. After retiring, Harbaugh was an assistant coach with the Oakland Raiders for two years were he served as the offensive assistant coach and the quarterbacks coach. In 2004 Harbaugh took over as the Head Coach at San Diego State. In three seasons he went 7-4, 11-1, and 11-1 for a combined record of 29-6. After starting the 2004 season off 2-4, Harbaugh won 27 of the next 29 games he coached. Harbaugh is currently the Head Coach for Stanford University.

Cam Cameron - While it is very, very unlikely that Cameron would leave the Miami Dolphins after one year, he would be an intriguing option for Michigan. Cameron spent the first ten years of his career as an assistant coach at Michigan. As the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach at Michigan Cameron produced many NFL talents such as Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Amani Toomer, and Desmond Howard. Cameron spent two years as the quarterbacks coach of the Washington Redskins before being named Head Coach of Indiana University in 1997. He spent five years at Indiana where he compiled a record of only 18-37. From 2002-2006 Cameron was one of the NFL's best Offensive Coordinators with the San Diego Chargers. Cameron helped develop Drew Brees, Philp Rivers, and Antonio Gates. As previously stated, he took over as the Miami Dolphins Head Coach this year.

Brady Hoke - This former Michigan assistant coach is in his fifth season as Head Coach of Ball State. Hoke started his college coaching career in 1983 when he was the defensive line coach at Grand Valley State. After the 1983 season he spent the next five seasons at Western Michigan and Toledo. In 1989 he took over as the defensive line coach at Oregon State where he stayed for six seasons. In 1996 he came to U-M to coach the defensive ends. His tenure at Michigan lasted eight years before taking the Ball State job.

Scot Loeffler - None other than the quarterbacks coach of Michigan. Loeffler is currently in his sixth year at Michigan. Loeffler also played QB at U-M, although he never started a game. In his first five seasons, Michigan quarterbacks have a 4:1 TD:INT ratio and have thrown at least 20 TD in each season. Chad Henne became the first Michigan QB to throw for 20 TD in three seasons. As a graduate assistant coach at Michigan he helped coach Brian Griese, Drew Henson, and Tom Brady.

Brian Kelly - Another guy who is very unlikely to leave his current job after just one season. This season is Kelly's first as the Head Coach for the University of Cincinnati. While Kelly doesn't have any ties to the University of Michigan, he has strong ties to the state. He took over as the Head Coach for Grand Valley State after being promoted from Defensive Coordinator. In 13 seasons as Grand Valley's Head Coach Kelly went 118-35-2. In his final three seasons at Grand Valley he finished 41-2 which included a 20 game win streak and two Division II Championships. In 2004 Kelly made the jump to Division 1-A when he took over as the Head Coach for Central Michigan. In three years he went 19-16 and won the MAC Championship in 2006. Before Kelly got to CMU, the Chips were 12-34 the previous four season and had only one season with more than three wins.

Comment

• Les Miles - This is the most widely speculated replacement of them all. Miles got into trouble not too long ago for publicly stating that Michigan is his dream job. Michigan is Miles' alma mater and he had two stints there as an assistant coach. Miles was a Michigan assistant from 1980-1982 and again from 1987-1995. Miles has recruited real well since becoming the Head Coach of LSU. In 2006 he had the 7th best recruiting class and in 2007 he pulled in the 4th best class. He's 23-4 in two plus years at LSU and 28-21 in four years at Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State was 13-20 in the three years before Miles became the Head Coach.

i hope sooooooooooooooooo
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• if Les Miles left LSU for Michigan it will be a cold day in hell...there is absolutely no reason for him to do so, especially with the talent that LSU has been bringing in the last couple seasons

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                if Les Miles left LSU for Michigan it will be a cold day in hell...there is absolutely no reason for him to do so, especially with the talent that LSU has been bringing in the last couple seasons
                Agreed. I wouldnt leave LSU, but then again I didnt graduate from Michigan. That definitely plays a part.
                Originally posted by nvot9
                I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

if Les Miles left LSU for Michigan it will be a cold day in hell...there is absolutely no reason for him to do so, especially with the talent that LSU has been bringing in the last couple seasons
                  he's said Michigan is the only school he'd leave LSU for
                  Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by mangini for pres View Post
                    he's said Michigan is the only school he'd leave LSU for
                    Right now it would obviously be back tracking.
                    I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                    Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                    Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Despite every blowing the Appalachian State loss way out of proportion, Michigan is still one of the top ten programs in the country. It's not like Miles would be leaving LSU for some scrub school. Les is a Michigan alum and spent 11 years as an assistant coach at Michigan (1980-82, 87-94). I'm not saying he would leave for sure, but most coaches have a dream of coaching their alma mater.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
                        Despite every blowing the Appalachian State loss way out of proportion, Michigan is still one of the top ten programs in the country. It's not like Miles would be leaving LSU for some scrub school. Les is a Michigan alum and spent 11 years as an assistant coach at Michigan (1980-82, 87-94). I'm not saying he would leave for sure, but most coaches have a dream of coaching their alma mater.
                        The Alma Mater thing is huge, but then again if LSU is consistently ranked in the top 10 season after season why leave? It would definitely be a tough decision for him IF he had to make it.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                        Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                        Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

• yes he does have a good thing at LSU, but its not like Michigan doesnt have talent for goodness sake, and im sure it would continue to pour in if he took over...he has a good thing now, but he would have a good thing at michigan, just the fact that its his alma mater, and it holds a little more weight...

probably depends on the season miles has with them this yr, if its a nat champ he would probably leave for sure, if not, i could see him sticking around to try and win big there first, he hasnt really been there that long

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            yes he does have a good thing at LSU, but its not like Michigan doesnt have talent for goodness sake, and im sure it would continue to pour in if he took over...he has a good thing now, but he would have a good thing at michigan, just the fact that its his alma mater, and it holds a little more weight...

probably depends on the season miles has with them this yr, if its a nat champ he would probably leave for sure, if not, i could see him sticking around to try and win big there first, he hasnt really been there that long
                            I feel the complete opposite if he loses in LSU it might persuade him to leave, but if he wins a National Championship I can see him staying.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                            Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                            Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

• Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
                              I don't think it is blowing it out of proportion at all, except maybe for the few people who say Michigan will inevitably fall to a middle of the road big ten team.

This was quite possibly the biggest upset in sports history, and it damn sure is the biggest upset in NCAA football history. This could change the face of college football forever, of course i won't happen instantaneously but 10 years from now, when we have no 1aa and 1a and a playoff, we may look at this game as the first reason why that happened. I don't think it is possible to state how much this means to college football in general, but I do think it is possible to blow this out of proportion in regards to Michigans program. They may have a couple years of lowered recruiting, but within the next five years they will be back to recruiting the same quality they always do(that is if their recruiting even drops off, which I am not so sure of.)
                              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                                I don't think it is blowing it out of proportion at all, except maybe for the few people who say Michigan will inevitably fall to a middle of the road big ten team.

This was quite possibly the biggest upset in sports history, and it damn sure is the biggest upset in NCAA football history. This could change the face of college football forever, of course i won't happen instantaneously but 10 years from now, when we have no 1aa and 1a and a playoff, we may look at this game as the first reason why that happened. I don't think it is possible to state how much this means to college football in general, but I do think it is possible to blow this out of proportion in regards to Michigans program. They may have a couple years of lowered recruiting, but within the next five years they will be back to recruiting the same quality they always do(that is if their recruiting even drops off, which I am not so sure of.)
                                See, people are underrating the talent of Appalachian State, just because they play in D1-AA. Appalachian State is a pretty good football team. Is that an excuse for why Michigan lost? No, not at all. Michigan should've still beaten them by more than two TD. However, people act like just because they are D1-AA that means that all 120 team in D-1A are better than them. ASU has some really good players on their team, and if they were in fact in D1-A, they'd likely be equivalent to a top five MAC or Mountain West team, which isn't saying much. Michigan has no business losing to a team of a Utah or an Ohio caliber, but if they lost to either one of those teams would it be the biggest upset ever? Absolutely not. It's considered the "greatest upset ever" because of the division Appalachian State plays in, not the quality of their team. Anyone can see that over the past two plus years, ASU has been better than what people are giving them credit for. It was one of the biggest in the history of college football, but I absolutely do not buy the idea that it is one of the biggest upsets in sports history. Anyone who believes that is just falling for the media's hype.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information