X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diabsoule
    started a topic Appalachian State stuns Michigan in Michigan

Appalachian State stuns Michigan in Michigan

Appalachian State defeats Michigan 34-32 in Michigan.

On Appalachian State's final drive they drove 69 yards down the field in 1:11 with no timeouts relying on nothing but passing plays. They get down to the 5 yard line and kick a field goal with :40 seconds left.
    On the kickoff Michigan gets to the 34 yard line. 1st play was an incomplete pass. Second play gets them 40 yards down the field to the Appalachian State 20 yard line. :5 second left.
    Michigan sends in the field goal unit to kick an easy field goal with the ball being right in the middle of the field. Kicker lines up, the ball is snapped, and it is BLOCKED! An Appalachian State defensive end picks up the ball and rumbles down the field to the Michigan 5 yard line before being tackled.
    Game over. Appalachian State completes one of the biggest upsets in college football.

One of the most unbelievable games I have ever watched.
    Last edited by diabsoule; 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM.

• someone447
    replied
    Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
    Michigan's biggest problems over the past few years has been two things: Mobile QB and speedy WR. For example, Appalachian State's Dexter Jackson (3 catches, 92 yards, 1 TD against Michigan) is one of the fastest players in all of college football. Jackson runs track. In May, he competed at the NCAA East Regionals. Some of the best track stars from the SEC competed in the same meet. The only player to beat Jackson in the 100-meter or the 200-meter was Florida track star Willie Perry.

People want to ignore or down play ASU's talent level because it makes for a great story. But ASU is a D-1A caliber team playing in D1-AA.
    The biggest difference between 1aa and 1a is not talent level, it is depth. Had this game been late in the year no chance it would happen. A couple injuries DECIMATE a 1aa school because they can't give enough scholarships to attract quality depth. App St starters compare to just about any team in the country, but after those guys they get a lot weaker.

Leave a comment:

• Sniper
    replied
    Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    thanks for that, ive been asking for info on that kid for some time, he obviously was extremely fast, no matter what school he went to, you could see his explosion and top end speed was definately what you see on D1 levels

i agree they definately did have some talent out there in the skill positions, and jackson was one who really caught my eye, he gave you guys trouble, but i dont see many corners on a D1 level who could really keep up with him in man on man coverages...

which could bring up the point, someone on the michigan staff should of found this out before he blew up on you guys, and played a coverage which wouldnt expose the corners, but thats neither here nor there
    There's not a coverage in the world that wouldn't expose Johnny Sears

Leave a comment:

• LonghornsLegend
    replied
    Michigan's biggest problems over the past few years has been two things: Mobile QB and speedy WR. For example, Appalachian State's Dexter Jackson (3 catches, 92 yards, 1 TD against Michigan) is one of the fastest players in all of college football. Jackson runs track. In May, he competed at the NCAA East Regionals. Some of the best track stars from the SEC competed in the same meet. The only player to beat Jackson in the 100-meter or the 200-meter was Florida track star Willie Perry.

People want to ignore or down play ASU's talent level because it makes for a great story. But ASU is a D-1A caliber team playing in D1-AA.

thanks for that, ive been asking for info on that kid for some time, he obviously was extremely fast, no matter what school he went to, you could see his explosion and top end speed was definately what you see on D1 levels

i agree they definately did have some talent out there in the skill positions, and jackson was one who really caught my eye, he gave you guys trouble, but i dont see many corners on a D1 level who could really keep up with him in man on man coverages...

which could bring up the point, someone on the michigan staff should of found this out before he blew up on you guys, and played a coverage which wouldnt expose the corners, but thats neither here nor there

Leave a comment:

• P-L
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
    You need to realize that some mid level prospects may prefer to play on a D1-AA championship team rather than ride a bench at a big school.

Leave a comment:

• SuperKevin
    replied
    Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
    I could foresee this elevating App St. to possibly jump up into D-1 and play possibly for the Big East. It would be sweet to see them join the Big 10, but they need to border a current Big 10 state to join. Possibly App St. could join the Big East and Cincinnati would join the Big 10. All speculation. =D
    App State already said they don't forsee any jump until after 2010 at the very earliest. And don't be shocked to see a new conference in 5-10 years as schools like Massachuttes, James Madison, and Furman have all speculated about moving up soon as well

Leave a comment:

• Turtlepower
    replied
    I could foresee this elevating App St. to possibly jump up into D-1 and play possibly for the Big East. It would be sweet to see them join the Big 10, but they need to border a current Big 10 state to join. Possibly App St. could join the Big East and Cincinnati would join the Big 10. All speculation. =D

Leave a comment:

• SuperKevin
    replied
    You need to realize that some mid level prospects may prefer to play on a D1-AA championship team rather than ride a bench at a big school.

Leave a comment:

• P-L
    replied
    Originally posted by someone447 View Post
    I don't think it is blowing it out of proportion at all, except maybe for the few people who say Michigan will inevitably fall to a middle of the road big ten team.

This was quite possibly the biggest upset in sports history, and it damn sure is the biggest upset in NCAA football history. This could change the face of college football forever, of course i won't happen instantaneously but 10 years from now, when we have no 1aa and 1a and a playoff, we may look at this game as the first reason why that happened. I don't think it is possible to state how much this means to college football in general, but I do think it is possible to blow this out of proportion in regards to Michigans program. They may have a couple years of lowered recruiting, but within the next five years they will be back to recruiting the same quality they always do(that is if their recruiting even drops off, which I am not so sure of.)
    See, people are underrating the talent of Appalachian State, just because they play in D1-AA. Appalachian State is a pretty good football team. Is that an excuse for why Michigan lost? No, not at all. Michigan should've still beaten them by more than two TD. However, people act like just because they are D1-AA that means that all 120 team in D-1A are better than them. ASU has some really good players on their team, and if they were in fact in D1-A, they'd likely be equivalent to a top five MAC or Mountain West team, which isn't saying much. Michigan has no business losing to a team of a Utah or an Ohio caliber, but if they lost to either one of those teams would it be the biggest upset ever? Absolutely not. It's considered the "greatest upset ever" because of the division Appalachian State plays in, not the quality of their team. Anyone can see that over the past two plus years, ASU has been better than what people are giving them credit for. It was one of the biggest in the history of college football, but I absolutely do not buy the idea that it is one of the biggest upsets in sports history. Anyone who believes that is just falling for the media's hype.

Leave a comment:

• someone447
    replied
    Despite every blowing the Appalachian State loss way out of proportion, Michigan is still one of the top ten programs in the country. It's not like Miles would be leaving LSU for some scrub school. Les is a Michigan alum and spent 11 years as an assistant coach at Michigan (1980-82, 87-94). I'm not saying he would leave for sure, but most coaches have a dream of coaching their alma mater.
    I don't think it is blowing it out of proportion at all, except maybe for the few people who say Michigan will inevitably fall to a middle of the road big ten team.

This was quite possibly the biggest upset in sports history, and it damn sure is the biggest upset in NCAA football history. This could change the face of college football forever, of course i won't happen instantaneously but 10 years from now, when we have no 1aa and 1a and a playoff, we may look at this game as the first reason why that happened. I don't think it is possible to state how much this means to college football in general, but I do think it is possible to blow this out of proportion in regards to Michigans program. They may have a couple years of lowered recruiting, but within the next five years they will be back to recruiting the same quality they always do(that is if their recruiting even drops off, which I am not so sure of.)

Leave a comment:

• RyanLeaf#1
    replied
    Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    yes he does have a good thing at LSU, but its not like Michigan doesnt have talent for goodness sake, and im sure it would continue to pour in if he took over...he has a good thing now, but he would have a good thing at michigan, just the fact that its his alma mater, and it holds a little more weight...

probably depends on the season miles has with them this yr, if its a nat champ he would probably leave for sure, if not, i could see him sticking around to try and win big there first, he hasnt really been there that long
    I feel the complete opposite if he loses in LSU it might persuade him to leave, but if he wins a National Championship I can see him staying.

Leave a comment:

• LonghornsLegend
    replied
    yes he does have a good thing at LSU, but its not like Michigan doesnt have talent for goodness sake, and im sure it would continue to pour in if he took over...he has a good thing now, but he would have a good thing at michigan, just the fact that its his alma mater, and it holds a little more weight...

probably depends on the season miles has with them this yr, if its a nat champ he would probably leave for sure, if not, i could see him sticking around to try and win big there first, he hasnt really been there that long

Leave a comment:

• RyanLeaf#1
    replied
    Despite every blowing the Appalachian State loss way out of proportion, Michigan is still one of the top ten programs in the country. It's not like Miles would be leaving LSU for some scrub school. Les is a Michigan alum and spent 11 years as an assistant coach at Michigan (1980-82, 87-94). I'm not saying he would leave for sure, but most coaches have a dream of coaching their alma mater.
    The Alma Mater thing is huge, but then again if LSU is consistently ranked in the top 10 season after season why leave? It would definitely be a tough decision for him IF he had to make it.

Leave a comment:

• P-L
    replied
    Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
    if Les Miles left LSU for Michigan it will be a cold day in hell...there is absolutely no reason for him to do so, especially with the talent that LSU has been bringing in the last couple seasons

Leave a comment:

• RyanLeaf#1
    replied
    Originally posted by mangini for pres View Post
    he's said Michigan is the only school he'd leave LSU for
    Right now it would obviously be back tracking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information