Bowl Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl Games

I have a question that intrigues me. Why do people get so hung up on bowl games? (Yes, Michigan is 0-4 in their last 4 bowl games, I'm aware. Just go with it) Everyone makes a big deal of this bowl, that bowl. In reality, other than the NC game, isn't it just another OOC game? Maybe I'm wrong, but the whole "Yay we won our bowl game" and buy "GMAC INTERNATIONAL BOWL CHAMPS" t-shirts is just kind of weird. Maybe it's just me.

With vandy last bowl game being in 1982, it would be huge if we made one this year, most people fell like it's "there Teams" championship game, so i can see why it is a big deal to people.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
    XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
    Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
    http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

They get money for winning right?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
        They get money for winning right?
        yessir thats why its such a big deal to the schools... plus it gives schools an opportunity to win their last "important" game
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

don't go dissing the International Bowl now ya hear :p

and smitty, we are going to a bowl this year (NCAA 08 has made me a fan of Vanderbilt), so it will be mucho importante
          Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
          Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
          Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
          A fan of the USF Bulls

Comment

As a fan it's nice to see a team finish the season well. Losing 40-3 to LSU and their backup QB sucked big time, but it doesn't really matter much more than a big rivalry game.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
              As a fan it's nice to see a team finish the season well. Losing 40-3 to LSU and their backup QB sucked big time, but it doesn't really matter much more than a big rivalry game.
              Or a conference game to a kinda rival, which is why I didn't understand a PSU fan's argument that winning two bowl games was better than not beating Michigan in 10 years.

Comment

Unless the bowl is very low level, it definitely has the most relevance of any game during season.

1. For the seniors, it will be the last game of their career, and for some juniors as well. At the very least, it's the end of a player's season. Therefore, just about every player on the field is going to play with intensity.

2. It's on a neutral field, so there's no built in advantages.

3. If you are selected to a bowl, generally you're going to meet a pretty good team.

4. It's a relative indicator of the strength of conferences. As a result it's an opportunity to learn who is better than their record and who is worse, as a result of their conference.

5. Both teams have an ample amount of time to prepare.

6. I think most importantly, the game shows a team's ability to improve throughout the season with game reps. Especially in college football, early season tilts aren't fully indicative of a team's ability because you're dealing with a lot of turnover, and inexperienced 18 and 19 year olds.

Comment

If the bowls don't matter, why do any of the games?

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                    If the bowls don't matter, why do any of the games?
                    For conference purposes. Basically this is me beating around the bush in favor of a playoff. I don't give a **** who wins between the #22 team and #25 team in the Bumble **** Bowl. I want to see a bad ass 16 team tournament.

Comment

Unless it's the Grand Daddy of them all, the Rose Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                        Our backup QB sucked? He's a hell of alot better than anyone UM had or has at the moment. Sorry dude, just cause UM sucks balls doesn't mean LSUs QB sucked.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                          For conference purposes. Basically this is me beating around the bush in favor of a playoff. I don't give a **** who wins between the #22 team and #25 team in the Bumble **** Bowl. I want to see a bad ass 16 team tournament.
                          Why can't you do both. The lower level bowls will be just as meaningful/meaningless.

16 team playoff may be stretching things....that's 4 weeks. I think 8 teams is plenty, and shave off an OOC game. Every major team with 1 loss is included, and maybe even a couple with 2. If you haven't taken care of business outside of one aberration game, I don't feel sorry if you're excluded. And you probably don't have a legit claim to best team in the land.

Like I've said before, the only fans who believe the current system is more beneficial than a playoff are brainwashed by the powers that be.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan912 View Post
                            Our backup QB sucked? He's a hell of alot better than anyone UM had or has at the moment. Sorry dude, just cause UM sucks balls doesn't mean LSUs QB sucked.
                            Calm down, thats not what he meant at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BerninWI View Post
                              Why can't you do both. The lower level bowls will be just as meaningful/meaningless.

16 team playoff may be stretching things....that's 4 weeks. I think 8 teams is plenty, and shave off an OOC game. Every major team with 1 loss is included, and maybe even a couple with 2. If you haven't taken care of business outside of one aberration game, I don't feel sorry if you're excluded. And you probably don't have a legit claim to best team in the land.

Like I've said before, the only fans who believe the current system is more beneficial than a playoff are brainwashed by the powers that be.
                              Every other level is able to do a tournament. We can do it for 1-A too. But 8 could work too. 16 would be godly though. But I agree with your points.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information