Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA today coaches poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I really thought LSU would vault USC in most of these polls but, even though LSU gained some votes, USC still has a pretty comfortable lead.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
      Uhh... who exactly has Oklahoma beaten to justify them leaping West Virginia and Florida? You are aware that Miami stinks as of late, no?
      Who have Florida and West Virginia played to justify them being higher? I put more stock in beating an ACC team 51-13 than I do beating a Sun Belt or C-USA team, plus Oklahoma looks better than both teams to me.

      Just because they're both ranked higher and haven't lost doesn't mean that they shouldn't drop. Oklahoma looks like one of the three best teams in the country right now. They put up 51 points on a pretty good defense.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by TigerBait45 View Post
        Who have Florida and West Virginia played to justify them being higher? I put more stock in beating an ACC team 51-13 than I do beating a Sun Belt or C-USA team, plus Oklahoma looks better than both teams to me.

        Just because they're both ranked higher and haven't lost doesn't mean that they shouldn't drop. Oklahoma looks like one of the three best teams in the country right now. They put up 51 points on a pretty good defense.
        Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
        Oklahoma hasn't done anything to this point in the season to warrant moving them up in the rankings over two teams who haven't done anything to warrant moving down in the rankings.
        I'm sticking by this, and I really don't see how anybody can truly argue otherwise. West Virginia's won its 2 games by an average of 31.5 points. Florida's won by an average of 37 points. It's not like Oklahoma just drubbed some ranked team. All 3 teams have played unranked teams and all 3 have won their games comfortably. I do think that Oklahoma probably is a better team, but they haven't done anything to justify moving them above the two above them, regardless of if I think they "deserve" it or not. Think of it this way: as much as you think Oklahoma deserves to be ranked above WV and Florida, can you really say that WV or Florida has done anything to deserve dropping in the rankings? I don't think so...
        The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

        Sig by jkpigskin

        Comment


        • #19
          I don't really think they have to. If LSU had moved up to the top of the poll it wouldn't have been because USC deserved to drop, it would've been because LSU deserved to move up.

          Either way, like I said, I put a little more stock into beating up on a team from a major conference with a solid defense than beating up on Marshall or Troy.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TigerBait45 View Post
            I don't really think they have to. If LSU had moved up to the top of the poll it wouldn't have been because USC deserved to drop, it would've been because LSU deserved to move up.

            Either way, like I said, I put a little more stock into beating up on a team from a major conference with a solid defense than beating up on Marshall or Troy.
            Like I said, Troy is a pretty good team. They went into haltime last week against Arkansas down by just 6. They won 8 games last season and absolutely demolished Rice in the N.O. Bowl. They had close games at Florida State and at Georgia Tech (you know, those ACC teams). A couple of years ago they lost to LSU by 4 points in Death Valley, you should remember that. Troy's got a solid program, and I knew they would have a decent showing against Florida. I'd bet that they could go toe-to-toe with this Miami team.
            The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

            Sig by jkpigskin

            Comment


            • #21
              Oh, I know they've been building a solid program, but theres no real reason for Florida to give up 31 points to them in my opinion. They're a solid team and have been since they came up to D-1, but UF is a top 5 team.

              I definitely understand what you're saying though.

              Its not about penalizing WVU or Florida though. Its about rewarding OU for playing like one of the best teams in the country.
              Last edited by TigerBait45; 09-09-2007, 03:39 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TigerBait45 View Post
                Oh, I know they've been building a solid program, but theres no real reason for Florida to give up 31 points to them in my opinion.

                I definitely understand what you're saying though.

                Its not about penalizing WVU or Florida though. Its about rewarding OU for playing like one of the best teams in the country.
                Playing like one of the best teams in the country against a couple of mediocre teams? That's why I'm not buying it.
                The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

                Sig by jkpigskin

                Comment


                • #23
                  I just don't understand what Florida and West Virginia have done to show that they are better than Oklahoma. The rankings should be based off which team is the best, second best, third best, and so on. It should NOT be based off of if a team deserves to be moved down or not. I've seen one game of each team and Oklahoma has looked better than Florida and West Virginia. Therefore, they should be ranked higher. Oklahoma beat the #28 ranked team by 38 points. That is more impressive than West Virginia and Florida beating a teams not ranked in the top 40 by a lesser margin. Whether WVU and UF did anything to drop in the rankings, Oklahoma DID do something to jump ahead of them. Miami isn't a garbage team like you make them out to be. There were ranked three spots outside the top 25.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                    Playing like one of the best teams in the country against a couple of mediocre teams? That's why I'm not buying it.
                    One second you're calling Troy a "pretty good team" and the next second you're calling Miami a "mediocre" team. That sounds to me like you're conforming your opinions to fit your beliefs. You geniunely believe that the Men of Troy would comfortably beat Miami on a neutral field? Because that's what those statements connote.

                    What about Marshall? Are they a pretty good team who would beat Miami too. What you're conveniently overlooking is that West Virginia scored 3 TD's in the 4th quarter to make the score look more lopsided than the game actually was, including one complete garbage TD by Devine. That was a 4 point game in the 4th quarter and should have ended with an 18 point margin. I don't believe teams should get credit for being good at running up the score against backups. Nor should they be discredited for not doing so. It does not project to future success either way.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      In my opinion, early in the season teams should be judged based upon a thorough talent assessment that was done before the season, as well as an assessment of their performances to date. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Coaches/media shouldn't be over-reactive to a performance in one week nor should they be inflexible.

                      In other words if you thought that West Virginia was the 3rd best team in the nation prior to the season, and then 11th best team in the nation the first two weeks, rank them about 7th as a general rule. Or if a team like Oklahoma completely blows you away they should make a meteoric rise.
                      Last edited by BerninWI; 09-09-2007, 04:03 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BerninWI
                        It must be those SEC homer coaches and writers who have a difficult time adjusting from the prejudice that everything is better in the SEC. LSU fans were chanting "SEC" after their win yesterday. On what basis? It's not as if the SEC had an overly impressive week overall to compel that chant. Old traditions die hard. The Pac 10 is the best conference in the land this year IMO.
                        On what basis?... Are you serious? Well, its not like they're LSU fans or anything. Its not that LSU was absolutely dominating VTech on primetime television either. Or maybe they're proud of the conference that their team is representing so well? You're absolutely correct! What right did they have to chant in their own stadium? Well, I guess they had the same right as California did during their chant of "Pac-10 Football!" when they were beating Tennessee by a TD.

                        And the SEC went 7-4 the past weekend. Not very impressive, you're right. But, two of those losses were from SEC teams beating other SEC teams. Not to mention, the SEC is the only conference that doesn't contain a team with a losing record. Yeah, having tradition is such a bummer. You're as much biased as the "SEC homer coaches and writers."
                        Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

                        [@TDWinstead]
                        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                        Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
                          I just don't understand what Florida and West Virginia have done to show that they are better than Oklahoma. The rankings should be based off which team is the best, second best, third best, and so on. It should NOT be based off of if a team deserves to be moved down or not. I've seen one game of each team and Oklahoma has looked better than Florida and West Virginia. Therefore, they should be ranked higher. Oklahoma beat the #28 ranked team by 38 points. That is more impressive than West Virginia and Florida beating a teams not ranked in the top 40 by a lesser margin. Whether WVU and UF did anything to drop in the rankings, Oklahoma DID do something to jump ahead of them. Miami isn't a garbage team like you make them out to be. There were ranked three spots outside the top 25.
                          well most teams had more impressive victories than usc, does that mean usc should be moved to the 10-20 range?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by BerninWI View Post
                            One second you're calling Troy a "pretty good team" and the next second you're calling Miami a "mediocre" team. That sounds to me like you're conforming your opinions to fit your beliefs. You geniunely believe that the Men of Troy would comfortably beat Miami on a neutral field? Because that's what those statements connote.
                            Yes, I do think that Troy could and would beat Miami. And as for the bolded part, well... they ARE *my* opinions!

                            What about Marshall? Are they a pretty good team who would beat Miami too.
                            ???

                            Marshall is subpar. Quit putting words in my mouth.
                            The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

                            Sig by jkpigskin

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by soybean View Post
                              Except teams 23, 24, and 25 are a part of the SEC. So if you were to go from teams 22 and down it would be PAC-10 4 vs. SEC 3 (Even though I am surprised at how high Arkansas is, but they are a top-25 team as of now).


                              Originally posted by Halsey
                              I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information