Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The difference between Ohio State's 06 defense, and the 07 defense...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
    Malcolm Jenkins isn't even the best corner in the conference. Jack Ikegwuonu is better than him. Others across the country that are better than Jenkins include VT's Brandon Flowers, Arizona's Antoine Cason, possibly Aqib Talib of Kansas, and DaJuan Tribble of BC.
    Yea...I can't argue with any of those but you can't say Jenkins doesn't belong in the group with those guys. And he's still getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownsTown View Post
      Yea...I can't argue with any of those but you can't say Jenkins doesn't belong in the group with those guys. And he's still getting better.
      I know he belongs there, along with King.

Comment

Sniper, on what basis are you rating those guys such as Cason, Flowers, Talib, ahead of Jenkins.

Who have they shut down? What are their big games they've played?

Just asking. I remember seeing Flowers getting abused pretty bad vs. LSU.

I haven't watched enough of Cason to validate a legit opinion on him, but I don't know of the hype on him.

Jack Ikegwuonu got scorched by Manningham last year multiple times.

Malcolm Jenkins shut down Samardzija, Limas Sweed, Manningham (before you mention that he burned jenkins, understand that Antonio Smith was gaurding Mario. After they switched... Manningham didnt do squat, and coincidentally, Arrington had a big game), Derrick Williams, James Hardy... the list goes on.

In any case, the only case you can make against Malcolm is the florida game, but most of the yards were underneath where the linebackers were caught out of position and the defensive backs were playing zone coverage.

I will admit however, Justin King is as good as Malcolm is. Only thing is he isn't the hitter/physical guy jenkins is, but he might be slightly faster so that makes things pretty much even.
        Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

Secondly, Nittany, if you are going to base a defense's ability on recruiting rankings, then I suppose you guys might win.

However, there are a few guys on this defense that aren't house names yet, but will be by the end of the season. I'm sure there will be a few for PSU as well, but basing a defense's ability off recruiting rankings and a biased opinion is silly.

In either case, we don't know whether the Lions, Buckeyes, or even Trojans and Tigers have as dominant defenses until they face real tests. That of which none of these defenses (except arguably USC Nebraska) can say they have.
          Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

Jenkins is gonna be drafted higher than all those guys, is gonna be a better pro, and is gonna be 1st team all american this year, so think what you want, I won't try and argue opinions here, but that's what it's gonna be.

Comment

Originally posted by gstock05 View Post
              If by Jack Ikegwuonu you mean Allen Langford, then yeah, you're right. Both of Mario's TD in that game were on Allen Langford. Jack only gave up a few catches to Mario.

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLion2k7 View Post
                All you did was list names. I've looked at those names and I'm not impressed.

DAn Connor will give James L a run for his money as far as best MLB. Marcus Freeman and LArry Grant are nobodies. Sean Lee had a more productive year than pretty much the both of them combined. As for Ross Homan and Thaddeus Gibson they are young players who haven't proven anything. If you want to talk guys who were ranked high and haven't played, PSU has a boatload.

Navorro Bowman, Bani Bdayu, Chris Colasanti, Nathan Stupar, Andrew Dailey are all waiting in the wings.

As for the secondary, PSU clearly has a better one. Justin King is arguably the best cover corner in the Big Ten shutting down TEd Ginn since his true freshman year. AJ Wallace was the # 1 corner the year after that. (If you forget that Justin King was the # 1 corner in 05) Tony Davis is a 2 year starter at the very least, then there's the best safety in the Big Ten, Anthony Scirrotto. All OSU has is Malcolm Jenkins and he isn't even that good, I saw him get burned for a TD vs. Washington.

How can anyone with a straight face say OSU has a better secondary?

I will say that your D Line is better, but it's not going to make that defense a better overall one than Penn State.
                Bani Bdayu will be a beast when he gets playing time jsut watch.. i love this kid

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

Originally posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
                  Bani Bdayu will be a beast when he gets playing time jsut watch.. i love this kid
                  He went to my high school's rival high school, Quinc Orchard

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                    Jenkins is gonna be drafted higher than all those guys, is gonna be a better pro, and is gonna be 1st team all american this year, so think what you want, I won't try and argue opinions here, but that's what it's gonna be.
                    Thanks for the indepth analysis. You sure seem to have a crystal ball there. Tell me his career stats in the NFL too please, I want to hear another fearless and non-homeristic prediction.

Comment

Sniper, on what basis are you rating those guys such as Cason, Flowers, Talib, ahead of Jenkins.
                      Watching them play?

Who have they shut down? What are their big games they've played?

Just asking. I remember seeing Flowers getting abused pretty bad vs. LSU.
                      The entire VT team got abused. They got no pass rush, had nothing going on.

Like P-L said, that would be Langford.

Malcolm Jenkins shut down Samardzija, Limas Sweed, Manningham (before you mention that he burned jenkins, understand that Antonio Smith was gaurding Mario. After they switched... Manningham didnt do squat, and coincidentally, Arrington had a big game), Derrick Williams, James Hardy... the list goes on.

In any case, the only case you can make against Malcolm is the florida game, but most of the yards were underneath where the linebackers were caught out of position and the defensive backs were playing zone coverage.

I will admit however, Justin King is as good as Malcolm is. Only thing is he isn't the hitter/physical guy jenkins is, but he might be slightly faster so that makes things pretty much even.

Left some comments. I prefer Ikegwuonu, King, Flowers, Tribble, and Cason to Jenkins. I think they're better corners. It's also a lot easier as a corner to look good when you get a nice pass rush like OSU does. For God's sake people forgot how atrocious Morgan Trent for a while with the d-line Michigan had last year.

Comment

Left some comments. I prefer Ikegwuonu, King, Flowers, Tribble, and Cason to Jenkins. I think they're better corners. It's also a lot easier as a corner to look good when you get a nice pass rush like OSU does. For God's sake people forgot how atrocious Morgan Trent for a while with the d-line Michigan had last year.
                        Lol you can think all you want but I will bet anything that the nfl scouts will agree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by T.Smith View Post
                          Lol you can think all you want but I will bet anything that the nfl scouts will agree with me.
                          Yes, because your opinion isn't biased at all.

Comment

Yes, because your opinion isn't biased at all.
                            Chris Gamble was #31 overall I believe when he was drafted, and was projected in the top 25.

Malcolm Jenkins is a lot better than Chris Gamble. Why is that so hard to swallow that he'll be a top rated cornerback? Now I dont know when the other guys will be selected and if that will potentially bump Malcolm down, but he's definitely 1st round talent...
                            Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

Chris Gamble was #31 overall I believe when he was drafted, and was projected in the top 25.

Malcolm Jenkins is a lot better than Chris Gamble. Why is that so hard to swallow that he'll be a top rated cornerback? Now I dont know when the other guys will be selected and if that will potentially bump Malcolm down, but he's definitely 1st round talent...
                              I feel as though you should never take a CB in the top-15. Way too many busts or plain underachievers.

Originally posted by Halsey
                              I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

I know Malcolm is first round talent. Find where I said he isn't. There's a lot of talent at corner this year if the juniors come out. King, Ikegwuonu, Jenkins, Flowers, Macho Harris etc.... I just don't see Jenkins as the first CB off the board

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information