Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article On How Stupid BCS Is

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...yhoo&type=lgns

some good points that have been discussed on here (usf sched vs osu sched, etc)

cred 2 BoneKrusher

The BCS is officially broken.

I am praying for Hawaii and South Florida to be the only two undefeated teams.
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
      The BCS is officially broken.

I am praying for Hawaii and South Florida to be the only two undefeated teams.
      If they are the only 2 undefeated teams what are you expecting?
      Originally posted by nvot9
      I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
      Indianapolis Colts 13-3
      Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
      Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
      Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

well i think this shows the flaws in the system for sure.. a 8 team playoff or so would be cool

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

How about people realize bowl games are worthless??? Where else is a championship decided 50 days after the end of a teams season?? Bowl games are a reward for the players, and the schools get money, thats it.

Comment

i like the idea of 1vs4 and 2vs3, then a (1or4)vs(2or3)

Comment

Originally posted by Green Bay Scat View Post
              i like the idea of 1vs4 and 2vs3, then a (1or4)vs(2or3)
              there will be problems of how to rank the teams... there will always be problems, but yes the bcs does suck
              Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

It sucks no matter how you slice it, playoff or not.

In a plus one, there will be a lot of debate as to who deserves the 3 and 4 spots, etc. In an 8 team playoff, there will be debate as to who gets in.

I like the way it is now, because a playoff only takes away from the grandeur in the regular season of NCAA Football.

Comment

Originally posted by BucSappy View Post
                  It sucks no matter how you slice it, playoff or not.

In a plus one, there will be a lot of debate as to who deserves the 3 and 4 spots, etc. In an 8 team playoff, there will be debate as to who gets in.

I like the way it is now, because a playoff only takes away from the grandeur in the regular season of NCAA Football.
                  In the NCAA Basketball Tournament there is debate as to who gets in. That doesn't change the fact that it's a good format. I'd much rather there be debate between the #4/#5 team or the #8/#9 team than I would between the #2/#3 team.

Comment

I love the BCS. There, I said it.

I don't care if the best team wins the championship quite frankly. It's college. These kids aren't being paid anyway. They don't get a bonus if they win the NC, and I could care less about the coaches who make way too much money anyway.

It makes the regular season so exciting and fun to watch. It makes every game count. It makes Stanford beating USC a HUGE game.

The only thing I could do without is the first 20 bowl games. I don't care about the 7th team from the Big Ten versus the 6th team from the ACC. Give me the bowl games that have smaller conference winners (ie: MAC, C-USA, etc) and the New Years bowl games.

Other than that, the ratings speak, don't change it.
                    Last edited by bearsfan_51; 10-16-2007, 11:49 PM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I think the BCS was an ok concept that has been poorly executed. There's got to be a way to come up with more consistently accurate rankings. I think we should do away with human polls that aren't done by objective minds who know football in and out and watch every meaningful game of every week. Good luck with that. A coaches poll has no place in a legitimate ranking system. We may as well just let fans vote. The computers need to be consolidated into one that has a very precise formula. Perhaps the NCAA could enlist a brain trust headed by Dr. Bob to come up with as accurate a formula as possible. Really though, I just don't think accurate rankings in college football are achievable. I love this game how it is, but the only way to determine a true national champion is to have a playoff whose participants are determined by the most accurate method possible.

My ideal scenario would involve a tournament of conference champions. Each conference can determine their champ however they like, but they only get to send one member to the tournament. If you can't win your own conference, you shouldn't be eligible to win the national title. Nebraska's fraudulent ass is evidence of that. I think this would help preserve the whole 'every game is huge' factor that we all love so much about college football. This would also help in furthering the parity shift that we've seen in recent years. The seeding could be determined by a bcs type ranking system, or perhaps solely based on your strength of wins vs out of conference opponents. I would love to see more incentive for programs to schedule tough out of conference opponents. I'm sick of seeing certain teams beat up on patsies throughout the year while other top programs are penalized for failing to impress with fraudulent 70s dotting their results list while preserving their players in the process. Nowhere are stats more misleading than in college football. Solid teams who play a weak schedule have numerous advantages over teams who face legitimate tests on a regular basis. These are just a few of the reasons why a playoff is needed in order to inject a bit of legitimacy into the college football supremacy. As it is, we've got individual groups of teams who play each other year in and year out while rarely proving themselves against the majority. Going into the championship game, we have no way of knowing whether or not the two teams on the field would have survived had they been in another group. So let the best from each group go at it. Use the season to determine who the best from each group is, and then use a 3 week playoff to determine a truly deserving #1.

Comment

24 Team playoff

ACC Champions
                        Big East Champion
                        Conference USA Champion
                        MAC Champion
                        Pac-10 Champion
                        Sun Belt Champion
                        Big 10 Champion
                        Big 12 Champion
                        Mountain West Champion
                        SEC Champion
                        WAC Champion

and then the best 13 teams after that decided on by a committee.

8 team would get a bye

1st Week- 8 games, played on Thursday night and Saturday

2nd Week- 8 games, played on Thursday night and Saturday

3rd Week- 4 games, played on Saturday

4th Week- 2 games, played on Saturday

5th Week- National Championship, played on Monday Night

It would last until mid-January at most. Keep the Bowl Games for teams who didn't make it.

Paul

New York Giants
                        New York Yankees
                        New York Knicks (unfortunately)
                        UConn Basketball
                        Virginia Tech Football
                        UConn Football

Comment

If there were a playoff, I think this would be the best/least drastic way:

1. Expand all 6 power conferenes to 12 teams
                          2. Conference championships for Big East, Big 10, Pac 10
                          3. 8 team playoff, 2 spots for Mid-major conferences. Could even make a play-in for those 2 spots between all 5 of the mid majors (one mid major could probably be dissolved if the 6 power conferences all had 12 teams). Could even use human polls for seeding. Throw in consolation bowl games for every else.

Could always try something very different, but I think this would be an easier transition.

Comment

I'm with Bearsfan_51. The BCS needs to stay. Some of these playoff systems that are being suggested would have the teams playing way too many games. This isn't the NFL. Also, everybody loves to rip the BCS and how terrible it is. This is exactly why it needs to stay. It gives everyone something to talk and complain about even though it is a much better system than everyone gives it credit for.

The best part about the college football season is that every game matters. If some kind of playoff system was created and all you had to do was win your conference, the regular season wouldn't mean as much as it does now. I say the BCS needs to stay for good.

Comment

I totally agree with what you are saying but with that comes the fact people then have to realize that bowl games mean nothing, and are only about money for the schools, and truely shouldn't decide any championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information