Michigan Hires Rich Rodriguez

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Hires Rich Rodriguez

I had heard for the last few days from some other people that Miles was nowhere near the slam dunk people thought he was, but I thought they were full of crap.

Wow ... just wow.

Even more strange that he will turn it down, supposedly. But in a later update, it is said he has accepted and will announce within the next 24-48 hours.

Edit: I guess I should also include the update where he quotes others who have said Ferentz will accept.

http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/

I've sat on this a couple days waiting for some third-party corroboration and now I have it: Kirk Ferentz has been offered the Michigan job. The general feeling is he will turn it down out of fidelity to Iowa, in case you were thinking of making a late-night run to Ann Arbor (or Iowa City) Torch & Pitchfork. I do realize that this -- unlike the Lloyd thing -- is unlikely to ever be publicly acknowledged if Ferentz turns it down, but this comes from someone in a position to know, and how. The third-party corroboration comes from a couple Iowa insiders reporting things afoot that, unfortunately, I am not at liberty to disclose.

Suffice it to say that Wednesday's post on Ferentz not making sense and this being a weird rumor is withdrawn: there's a real chance he's the next coach. It's not probable given Ferentz's deep ties to Iowa, but it's not Kevin Stallings as I suggested earlier.

BONUS item that I don't have multiple sources on, so consider this not 100% reliable, but logical: Grand Valley's athletic director has been contacted by a Michigan representative doing due diligence on Brian Kelly. That representative? Lloyd Carr. That might explain the prominence in Ferentz in the search. The Horror, evidently, was not enough to shake Carr's influence despite the claims made in his outgoing press conference.

BONUS BONUS item: Grand Valley's AD has been contacted by another athletic director doing background checks on Kelly. His name? Kevin White. His school? Notre Dame.
    I have no idea how to judge the truthiness of this post from HawkeyeLounge.com helpfully linked in the comments of the last post, but it looks like we might get resolution on this Ferentz thing soon:

I have a decent source connected to the Michigan athletic department. He stated to me in an in e-mail this evening that Ferentz had been offered the job and this evening he accepted. The final details and announcement will come in 24-48 hours.

Disclaimers follow...

MH check your PM and I'll explain this one to you. I'm not convinced on this, but this source has credibility. I hope he's not playing me. I'll take the heat if this is wrong.

...but after the standard "this means nothing... nothing!" response, a couple posters vouch for this guy; the forthright admission of doubt makes me place a bit more faith in the information, ironically. (Obviously, this is nothing close to solid.)

Another point of confirmation (about the offer, not a potential acceptance) comes from the RCMB. One of the posters there is an editor at an Iowa newspaper; he claims that two separate media sources are telling him Ferentz has an offer.
    Last edited by bwillie26; 11-26-2007, 12:55 AM.

Kirk is bad, justt awful and is getting overpaid by Iowa as it is. If this is true Michigan should just pencil in more average seasons.

Kelly on the other hand would be interesting. I think Michigan could be huge threat with that style of offense. Needless to say, Illinois/Michgan games would be fun to watch.
    Rock Jock

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox

Comment

Kirk is recognized for being overrated so much that he's actually become underrated (at least in these corners, he's still overrated by the media).

Give him this. He recruited very well at Iowa. Would you want to go and live in Iowa? Thank you.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
        Kirk is recognized for being overrated so much that he's actually become underrated (at least in these corners, he's still overrated by the media).

Give him this. He recruited very well at Iowa. Would you want to go and live in Iowa? Thank you.
        9 months out of the year I do live in Iowa and in these parts many people don't like him. I'm not an Iowa fan and I still think he's bad. Hell, whoever coach's UNI is better.

I do agree with you on the recuiting aspect. He has been able to take alot of kids from the Chicagoland area and has made some very solid defenses but his recuits haven't really turned into great teams. Kirk had made 4 or 5 january bowl games before last season, but his teams never took the next step. I think he has only made 1 BCS game, Orange bowl with brad banks vs. USC and they got spanked.

Bad game coach would we be nothing else if he got the UM job.
        Rock Jock

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox

Comment

Originally posted by RockJock07 View Post
          9 months out of the year I do live in Iowa and in these parts many people don't like him. I'm not an Iowa fan and I still think he's bad. Hell, whoever coach's UNI is better.

I do agree with you on the recuiting aspect. He has been able to take alot of kids from the Chicagoland area and has made some very solid defenses but his recuits haven't really turned into great teams. Kirk had made 4 or 5 january bowl games before last season, but his teams never took the next step. I think he has only made 1 BCS game, Orange bowl with brad banks vs. USC and they got spanked.

Bad game coach would we be nothing else if he got the UM job.
          Ferentz won two Big Ten titles at Iowa in 9 years.

Hayden Fry, who is considered a legend, won three in 19 years.

Ferentz's Iowa teams have finished in the top 10 of the final AP three times in 9 years.

Fry's teams never finished higher than 10th in nineteen years.

Ferentz gets some heat because of his salary, and understandably so, but the fact is that Iowa fans have a MUUUUUUUUCH higher opinion of their program than what reality is. If Ferentz leaves honestly I expect Iowa to go back to the cellar of the Big Ten like they were pre-Fry days.

The only Big Ten teams historically worse in football than Iowa are Indiana, Purdue, and Northwestern. That's not good company.
          Last edited by bearsfan_51; 11-26-2007, 01:47 AM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
            but the fact is that Iowa fans have a MUUUUUUUUCH higher opinion of their program than what reality is.
            Really? Like who? ;)

Comment

I fully expect Les Miles to be the next UM coach...and they thought Lloyd Carr was bad...

Comment

I really don't know who I want. Certainly not Ferentz though, and especially not DeBord. I wouldn't mind giving English a shot, and Brian Kelly has done a wonderful job in the state of Michigan, so maybe he could work something for us. I'm very, very lukewarm on Les Miles however. I don't mind gambles, but sometimes he does it just for fun, or so it seems.

Comment

Interesting if true. I thought as soon as Kathy Miles bought a house in the AA area, Les was all but a done deal. I really, really don't want Ferentz. Gotta give the man credit for his 2002-04 season, but the 11-24 record before 2002 and the 19-18 record after 2004 worries me. He really isn't a good recruiter at all, and relies too much on developing talent. Sure, Michigan is going to attract recruits regardless of who the head coach is, but I don't know.

Comment

I doubt Ferentz will leave, Iowa. He can barly win any games with a healthy team. Miles should be smart and just take the job.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

As an OSU fan, I'm rooting for Les. I don't think he is a good coach. Brian Kelly is great, and honestly, I think he is the best man for the job.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

It all appears to rumors, and there is no legit source backing them up. Iowa is claiming that no one has contacted Ferentz. The only thing that seems true right now is that Michigan has interest in Kirk. We'll see how this plays out.

Comment

In my opinion if Kirk goes to Michigan things will only get worse. What exactly has he done at Iowa that people have so much respect for him? His combined record is 73-70. I just dont buy the hype on Kirk Ferentz.
                          Originally posted by nvot9
                          I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                          Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                          Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                          Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                          Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Originally posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
                            In my opinion if Kirk goes to Michigan things will only get worse. What exactly has he done at Iowa that people have so much respect for him? His combined record is 73-70. I just dont buy the hype on Kirk Ferentz.
                            Hey don't sell the Domers short in your sig! Wasn't it 3-9?

Comment

If we hire Ferentz, I'll cry. I'm not a fan at all. I'm lukewarm on Miles, but I'd prefer him over Ferentz any day of the week,

Originally posted by Jakey
                              WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information