Applewhite Back to Texas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applewhite Back to Texas?

"Former Texas quarterback Major Applewhite has been contacted about joining the Longhorns' coaching staff and is expected to accept an offer this week."

Interesting that he'd be taking a demotion from OC to RBs coach. I've heard that Bama/Saban isn't guaranteeing Major anything in terms of a future at Alabama. Also wouldn't be suprised if Mack/UT is laying down the foundation for the future.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5454230.html

I hope so, he got screwed over by Mack Brown when he was playing there. The least he can do is make it up to him by grooming him to succeed him at Texas.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i was hoping he would get the Houston HC job

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
        I hope so, he got screwed over by Mack Brown when he was playing there. The least he can do is make it up to him by grooming him to succeed him at Texas.

He had to bail that loser Chris Simms out so many times, he should of never lost his job to him...still upsets me to this day

Be nice to see him come back to UT, didnt think he would be a rb coach though

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Applewhite would be making a huge career mistake if he takes a job as a runningbacks coach.

He knows as much about runningbacks as I do. He's a QB/Wide Receivers guy through-and-through

Comment

Originally posted by JT Jag View Post
            Applewhite would be making a huge career mistake if he takes a job as a runningbacks coach.

He knows as much about runningbacks as I do. He's a QB/Wide Receivers guy through-and-through
            That is completely false. His biggest advantage was that he was a student of the game. Coaches switch to coaching different positions quite often.
            I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I was hoping he was going to come to LSU when we were looking for an OC

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

This guy changes jobs like every year.

Comment

Did you know that Mike Tomlin was a WR in college, coached DBs in the pros, and then went from DC to HC of the Steelers?

Coaches regularly coach positions different from their own, it happens all the time.

Comment

its a demotion but lets face it when the Alma matter calls , you usually have to answer. huggins said it best " you can not turn away your alma matter away more than once."

Comment

Originally posted by Gchu83 View Post
                      Did you know that Mike Tomlin was a WR in college, coached DBs in the pros, and then went from DC to HC of the Steelers?

Coaches regularly coach positions different from their own, it happens all the time.
                      Well my apologies. I'm just skeptical about the depth of knowledge of a guy who got his career jump-started by running a spread offense when it comes to the running game.

Comment

He'll be the OC whenever Greg Davis gets a HC job somewhere else, so right now he will be learning as much as he can about every position in the offense...Most think Mack Brown will coach another 7-8 years, maybe more, but Major will be his successor whenever that happens...He made the move to be involved in his alma mater now so he can learn as much as possible from Mack

He's a smart guy, hopefully he learns alot about the recruiting side of the game

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          He's a smart guy, hopefully he learns alot about the recruiting side of the game
                          Applewhite helped put together the 2nd best 2008 recruiting class at Bama. He's definitely one of the most talented young coaches in the nation and you have to love his potential as a coach and a recruiter (especially in Texas).

Comment

Didnt he coach at Syracuse too? I always kinda liked Applewhite, he has huge potential as a coach

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                              Didnt he coach at Syracuse too? I always kinda liked Applewhite, he has huge potential as a coach
                              He went from a graduate assistant at UT to Quarterbacks Coach at Syracuse to Offensive Coordinator at Rice to Offensive Coordinator at Bama to Assistant Head Coach/RBs Coach back at UT.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information