Spring Practice News/Notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Practice News/Notes

Post what's going on with your team right now. Who's hot/who's not, position battles, injuries, position changes, scheme changes, etc.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

South Carolina Gamecocks

Former 5 star recruit, Chris Culliver, moved from WR to Safety.

Star DE, Eric Norwood, has moved to OLB and OLB, Cliff Matthews, has moved to DE.

Arguably, the Gamecocks two best players on each side of the ball, are both nursing injuries and havent practiced yet. WR, Kenny Mckinley and CB, Captain Munnerlyn. Starting DT, Nate Pepper is also out...he hopes to be back in time for the start of the season. Other injuries...Marvin Sapp, Gurminder Thind, Dustin Lindsey, and Nick Prochack.

Jasper Brinkley has returned from knee surgery and has already begun practicing. Just two weeks ago, it was looking like he would miss all of the spring drills.

Steve Spurrier has given no implication as to who his starting Qb will be. Chris Smelley and Stephen Garcia remain the favorites w/ Tommy Beecher having a decent shot as well. Spurrier did say, there would be an increased emphasis on the QBs ability to move with the football. This was evident during drills...and gives an edge to Garcia.

Defensive tackles, Ladi Ajiboye (6'1 305), Marques Hall (6'3 314), and Kenrick Ellis (6'5 353) have each put on atleast 10 pounds of muscle.

Starters, Mike Davis, Carlos Thomas, Dion Lecorn, and Kenrick Ellis are all facing suspensions. The most severe being a 3 game suspension for Ellis. Others receiving suspensions...Matt Clement, Jordin and Dustin Lindsey, and potentially Stephen Garcia.
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

MOTH, anyword on Gur Thind? Is he still going to be pegged in as the starting RG?

Comment

This just in: Rutgers is still awesome

couple notes I'll post from RU camp after practice
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
          This just in: Rutgers is still awesome

couple notes I'll post from RU camp after practice
          Also, anyword on Jamal Westerman's brother Jawaan Westerman? He was a redshirt WR last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
            MOTH, anyword on Gur Thind? Is he still going to be pegged in as the starting RG?
            Thanks for reminding me...he's currently injured, I just added him to my above post. He's got an ailing back. Anyway, nothing is guaranteed...we have open competitions along the entire line. He's an early favorite but, anything can happen.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

wvu: nothing major; couple starters out with injuries (will be back for fall practice); couple of position changes (de to fb, again nothing major)

throwing on 60% of the plays

rs freshmen bradley starks and charlie russell get a majority of the snaps (pat was held out with shoulder soreness from never throwing this much, jarrett brown is on the bball team)

we're currently on spring break, so practice doesnt resume until monday

as expected, defense is ahead of the offense, although pat did lead the 1st team offense to a td in a 2 min drill

nothing major, which is a good thing

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

USF:

Jake Sims looks good moving from LG to LT.

Grothe hurt his back but nothing major.

Pretty quiet besides that.

Comment

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
                  Also, anyword on Jamal Westerman's brother Jawaan Westerman? He was a redshirt WR last year.
                  no, not much at all. Helped around last year on the scout team, but damn is the kid skinny. 5'10 160? damn

Won't see much time, especially with Britt, Underwood, Brown, and Campbell. But his future seems bright, as he's got wheels. so when Underwood and Campbell graduate and if Britt goes pro, he'll get his shot. He and DC Jefferson(who's getting redshirted) seem to be the offense of the future.

RB Kordell Young is looking pretty good coming of knee surgery. Still ginger(haha dg151) on quick cuts, but gradually getting better.

Couple of young guys including soph Mason Robinson and a redshirt from last year(as a frosh) Joe Martinek are looking REALLY good. Young and Robinson looked like the primary guys to replace Raymell, but Martinek has been TEARING UP the practice squad D and will get more looks to get more carries and playing time

Schiano tends to keep VERY quiet about his defense until the week before opening week.

We're returning 7 out of 11 guys on O, and 8 out of 11 on D. but we also lost Ito too :(
                  We ALL bleed scarlet
                  BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Is there any word if he was offered a scholly this year? I know last year he walked on at Rutgers and was redshirted. Any idea?

Yea he is mad skinny. Nothing that a couple hard months in the gym could fix.

Comment

Miami - lots of buzz:

-All our backs got stronger and more athletic. JJ and Coop will improve and the backups will surprise as well.
                      -Aldarius Johnson is a beast at WR.
                      -Our offensive line will be huge, and Joel Figueroa could figure into the mix because of his physical tools. Jason Fox has bulked up a lot
                      -Allen Bailey is a stud at DE. Once he gets the mental part down he will be an improvement over Calais Campbell.
                      -Sean Spence is starting at SLB right now, but he's only about 205 so who knows how long that will last. Arthur Brown is struggling with the college game. Glenn Cook is leading the D at MLB.
                      -Our defensive backs could be the weakest unit on the team, but they played well in scrimmages.
                      -Injuries: Colin McCarthy and Dwayne Hendricks, among others. Jermaine McKenzie and Anthony Reddick are not quite 100% either.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Scotty, how'd you get into practice?

Comment

Rick Trickett is pissed off right now. The offensive linemen are being soft.

Comment

Florida (from what I've read):
                            -Top JUCO recruit Carl Moore doesn't drop a thing. His routes are a little sloppy, but he has amazing concentration and hands
                            -Nobody can cover Deonte Thompson. His speed is electric. He will likely fill Bubba Caldwell's role and excel at it.
                            -DE Carlos Dunlap is the biggest man on the field
                            -Percy Harvin is Percy Harvin

There haven't been any contact practices yet, so the advantage has been tilted towards the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
                              Scotty, how'd you get into practice?
                              I didn't. I've heard numerous reports about Martinek tearing it up. From where Young was at the end of last season and hearing a bit from the spring so far, I kinda put 2 and 2 together. Robinson looked very good last year too.

Also, my cousin goes to RU and has a class with some backup(don't remember who though)

He also took Dinosaurs class with Jabu Lovelace lol

...or I just hid out in the locker rooms to see Courtney Greene and Joe Lefeged, among others
                              We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information