08-09 Scarlet Knights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08-09 Scarlet Knights

Seriously, I infest so many other threads with my Rutgers homerism, I figured why not just funnel it into one thread? Miami had an 08 season thread, so why can't Ru? :D feel free to talk about the awesomeness that is the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

We lost 3 OL starters and Raymell Rice, but I feel our offense should be ok.

Teel was hurt for the majority of the year last year and his thumb should be healthy by now and for the season. And he is the 2nd coming of John Elway you know.

Robinson, Young and Martinek are all young speedsters in line to replace Rice. Young is an explosive back, but he's coming off knee surgery. He's the front runner to replace Rice for now. Robinson was the #2 guy last year(obviously he didn't get many carries) but is a former DB who has obvious speed and quickness. Showed alot more toughness as the year progressed and should be an asset to our offense.
    Martinek tore up the practices and PS D, and has looked extremly impressive. He'll see some time. He's a soph, Robinson a true soph and Young a redshirt junior. THey all are explosive and fast, but the biggest question mark is can one handle the full duties? or will we go RB by committee? Our power back/short yardage right now is FB Morales, so lets see what happens there.

THe WR's are still set with Britt and Underwood being an excellent tandem(top 5 IMO) and Brown being the speedster on the outside. We're gonna have a Rex Grossman mentality at times with a **** it, I'm going deep.
    Hopefully Teel settles down and makes nice short slant throws to Britt and Underwood, don't be just a bomb or run team like last year.

OL seems to be a big question mark after losing 3 NFL calibur players right? This may be true, but we seem to have a line set in our minds. Right now, it looks like:
    LT: Anthony Davis(set)- true soph
    LG: Caleb Ruch(set a an OG spot)- true soph, former backup C
    C: Ryan Blaz(too lazy to spell whole last name)- junior, started last year, played VERY well
    RG: Haslam or ?(Haslam is a redshirt JR)
    RT: Haslam or ?

Haslam could easily play either OG or RT for us, which is nice. Lets us have more freedom to look for an OG or OT that stands out in practice. Incoming freshman Art Forst may have a shot at that open RT spot, but it's up for grabs.

That OL is young, but proven talent. R-Blaz, Davis and Haslam all started for us at one point last season(Haslam switched with Davis) and Ruch has tremendous raw strength, but will be an excelllent road grater for us. Needs to work on footwork, but still only a soph. We'll see on that other OL spot, but 4/5 after losing 3 starters is pretty damn good

I'll do some D break down in a bit
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Scotty because of your everlasting homerism towards Rutgers I actually find my self cheering for them in most games they play

Comment

ok, now for Defense:

our DL is a big rotation, especially at DE. Our main man is Jamaal Westerman, one of the few good things to ever come out of Canada. Our best guy, but he's inconsistant and needs to rack up some big sack numbers with Foster gone. Gary Watts mans down the other DE spot and is an excellent athlete for a DE. Had four starts, but played in every game and notched 4 sacks and over 6 TFL. He rotated time with now true soph. Alex Silvestro who started 4 games, playing in 11(i think) think he only had one sack, but is a very young talent, and nice run stuffer at the DE position. The main guy who split starts with Watts was our superb athlete on the line, George Johnson. He had 4 sacks and an INT and is a freakishly good athlete. Jamaal and Gary are entering their final years, but Johnson is now a junior and Alex a soph, so the future is bright, along with the present. We also have soph Jonathan Freeny who had an INT against cuse.(soph)

At DT we really have 2 guys now that Foster left, and will hope they stay healthy this year. Pete Tverdov was hurt last year, but is still a very solid DT. had over 30 tackles and was most improved on the D(given the actual award).
      Alongside him is Vantrise Studivant. Got time when Tverdov was hurt and became a mainstay on the line. These two are very solid and reliable guys in the middle, but we have little depth at DT

LB: We lost Renkart, which hurts us in coverage, but helps alot in pursuit. Malast, our leading tackler, stays as our run thumper and wrap-up tackler. Hopefully the faster Ryan D'Imperio stays healthy and is able to start. I'm not sure who the other OLB spot goes to(Malast the 1st OLB spot) but I'm hoping it goes to Abreu. It could very well be Bines though, which I'd be fine with. Schiano likes to keep his D plans a secret.

DB: The McCourty twins are still here, which is excellent. Greene stayed, and will be a 1st rounder next year, so that obviously is good he stayed. Girault graduated, which sucks, but now Joe Lefeged can murder people over the middle, i can't wait for that. Our secondary, although lacking a playmaker, is solid and an unsung strenght of this team.

special teams: hopefully Tim Brown catches punts this year...*sigh*
      San San Te is tearing it up right now and looking like it'll be a smooth kicker transition(although I'll dearly miss Ito) and punting duties look to be going to Teddy Dellaganna, who is a sophomore, and honestly, was our backup punter last year, that's it
      We ALL bleed scarlet
      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
        Scotty because of your everlasting homerism towards Rutgers I actually find my self cheering for them in most games they play
        mission accomplished!
        We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

its about time scotty...

Comment

Woooooo go Rutgers!

Gamertag: KRAAAWG

Comment

I think Forst is going to win that RT spot.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                I think Forst is going to win that RT spot.
                As do I. he enrolled early to get some more reps in with the team. That moves Haslam inside, where i think he's better. I don't see any other real competiton for him at that spot(talking of Forst)

Now who plays OLB is always a fun little guessing game. We both want Abreu, but who knows what Schinao has up his sleeve
                We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                  As do I. he enrolled early to get some more reps in with the team. That moves Haslam inside, where i think he's better. I don't see any other real competiton for him at that spot(talking of Forst)

Now who plays OLB is always a fun little guessing game. We both want Abreu, but who knows what Schinao has up his sleeve
                  I think it's def. Abreu. I think he would have been out there last year but since he got hurt he wasn't able too. Do you know if he was able to get a redshirt?
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    I think it's def. Abreu. I think he would have been out there last year but since he got hurt he wasn't able too. Do you know if he was able to get a redshirt?
                    I can hope it's him. He's got killer speed and playmaking ability.

And I believe he did, scarletknights.com roster has him as a sophomore with freshman eligibility.
                    We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                      I can hope it's him. He's got killer speed and playmaking ability.

And I believe he did, scarletknights.com roster has him as a sophomore with freshman eligibility.
                      That's really good news then. I was afraid he might get screwed out of a year. My favorite Kenny Britt is going to have a monster year throwing him onto everyone's radar this year. By the time the year is over he's going to have made himself a 1st round pick. Our passing game should open up the running game so much even though our O-Line is going to be missing a lot. I also think our D will be better than last years with some faster guys out there. The cut back ability of opposing Rb's was the major problem against our D and I think we'll do much better against that this year. Losing Foster is going to hurt a lot but I think our back 7 should be much better.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I don't think Forst necessarily will. Gilmartin is listed as the starter for now. Newell, Stapleton, and Muldrow were all big recruits, among the best of the Schiano era.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
                          I don't think Forst necessarily will. Gilmartin is listed as the starter for now. Newell, Stapleton, and Muldrow were all big recruits, among the best of the Schiano era.
                          He did get a lot of O-Line recruits the year he got Davis. I think Forst has a very good chance to win that spot but would not be suprised at all to see one of the above listed guys take it as well.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Hey guys, long time reader, first time contributer...

scottyboy, goo analysists but first thing I caught right away was your RB breakdown. I really like Young (big fan of his since we signed him a few years ago), Robinson (great kid, great talent, a few people I know knew for years and rave about him), Martinek (from the otherside of the lake I grew up on) but I think your failure to mention Jourdan Brooks needs to be mentioned. This guy is a bruiser, who was red-shirted last year. There were reports that NOBODY wanted to tackle this guy in practices. I feel like he will be the Rutgers' Brandon Jacobs while the speedsters will battle for time and be the Ahmed Bradshaws.

All in all, happy to join you guys in discussing the Giants, Rutgers, and incoming rookies and prospects.

By the way, it is beautiful this time of night in southern Cal.

Comment

Originally posted by RUGMEN View Post
                              Hey guys, long time reader, first time contributer...

scottyboy, goo analysists but first thing I caught right away was your RB breakdown. I really like Young (big fan of his since we signed him a few years ago), Robinson (great kid, great talent, a few people I know knew for years and rave about him), Martinek (from the otherside of the lake I grew up on) but I think your failure to mention Jourdan Brooks needs to be mentioned. This guy is a bruiser, who was red-shirted last year. There were reports that NOBODY wanted to tackle this guy in practices. I feel like he will be the Rutgers' Brandon Jacobs while the speedsters will battle for time and be the Ahmed Bradshaws.

All in all, happy to join you guys in discussing the Giants, Rutgers, and incoming rookies and prospects.

By the way, it is beautiful this time of night in southern Cal.
                              welcome to the board, good stuff. I forgot about Brooks. Wasn't e that converted LB? I think he was too small to play LB in college, but could be a very effective weapon for us.

My favorite of the 3 RB's i mentioned is Young, but I'm not sure how his knee will hold up. Of course I hope he's 100%, but when your style of running is based off quickness and cuts...
                              We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information