Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Crabtree: Phenom, or Product-of-the-System?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Crabtree: Phenom, or Product-of-the-System?

Who's seen enough of #5 to tell me if he's a premiere talent like a Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, or if he's just a product of the pass-happy system like a ? Jerry Rice was at Mississippi Valley State.....

He redshirted a season right? So this could be his last season at TT.

Someone at Tech break down Crab for me if you can..... anyone up there in Lubbock?

This is going to be an AWESOME debate when he comes out, I can already see it now...

But Ive seen plenty of him being that he came from Dallas, but its hard to gauge because he was a high school QB at Carter and was pretty much a beast...You could tell he was a physical freak and could do it all, but I didnt expect him to have the type of season he did after a redshirt year to adjust to WR...If you watch him closely you can tell he's not just the system, his explosiveness is ridiculous, he has great hands, can seperate from anyone, pretty much an all around beast and I cant wait for him to come out.

He was pretty highly touted coming out, Texas, OU, and A&M also wanted him, and he was a great basketball player too and had a choice to take a scholarship in both sports, which all in all should speak volumes about his ability.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Thanks.
      If he's a great basketball player, that only helps. Great leaping and timing is huge in the NFL.

I live in Dallas, but never get to see many TT games for some reason. I'll try this year more.......
      All I remember of Crabtree is the game he caught a bunch, but then dropped a big one at the end in the end zone.

What NFL WR's does he somewhat play like, size-speed-style?

Comment

From what I've seen from him, he plays a lot like Keyshawn Johnson. He leans towards the possesion aspect of the game, and will be a great red zone threat.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
        The Destroyer Is Manifest!
        I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

I think he is the real deal but his system does make it difficult to evaluate him against other receivers who play in alternate systems (at least until he works out for scouts with the microscope on him). He's got nice size, is a very smooth athlete and as a freshman produced more than any other TT receiver in history. Some people like to use the argument that Tech's Offense has led to big years from mediocre draft prospects like Jarret Hicks, Joel Filani, Wes Welker and Danny Amendola and that despite his stats Crabtree is just the last in a long line of below average Tech WR prospects. However they don't take into account the fact that his natural ability made him a top prospect out of HS and that as good as the other WRs numbers were they weren't at the ridiculous level of Crabtree's.

It'll be interesting to see how high he is touted when he comes out but for the record I will say right now that in my opinion the best underclassmen WR is junior Kenny Britt of Rutgers.
          Last edited by Solomon; 04-14-2008, 12:38 AM.
          10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
            From what I've seen from him, he plays a lot like Keyshawn Johnson. He leans towards the possesion aspect of the game, and will be a great red zone threat.
            I think he's the exact opposite of possesion WR, he's 6'3 200 and Chris Henry comes to mind, but Crabtree is better is open space and has better acceleration...Granted he is in a system that makes him impossible to judge by stats because he will have games where he gets 15 receptions, 240 yds, and 3 tds, something that rarely happens in a pro style offense...

But he's a real explosive guy, I would be surprised if he didnt run a low 4.4 40, he humiliated secondary after secondary with his speed after the catch and with his lateral quickness, he looked a step faster then everyone last year which was pretty amazing in itself being that he was playing a new position at the D-1 level.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

The Wes Welker-effect has to help his stock a little bit, if his record-setting stats don't do it.
              Last edited by AtariBigby; 05-07-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

There is really no debate...Crabtree actually has the ability to separate that other TT receivers lacked. He will be a dominant #1 in the NFL.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

If I could imagine Barry Sanders as a WR -- it is Crabtree.

The separation, lateral quickness, runs like Tail Back in the open field.

Frankly, other than CJ I have not seen anyone near as dominant in a long time as a college WR and in fact I think he comes in and plays much faster than most rookie NFL WR.

He is just flat out dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                    There is really no debate...Crabtree actually has the ability to separate that other TT receivers lacked. He will be a dominant #1 in the NFL.
                    Bingo. You nailed it. Crabtree is for real.

Comment

Can I say that it's a little of both? I think his numbers are a product of the system but his talent, from what we've seen so far, is that he could be very good WR. I think that having all those passes thrown his way will just give him a lot of experience and create a lot of game film on him, which, I would think, makes him easier to evaluate.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

i love watching TT and try and find them every week if theyre on TV. (not often but i like seeing them when i can. they are fun to watch when their offense is on)

but i saw 3 games of theirs last year and while crabtree had his moments, danny amendola always seemed to be the guy making the critical catches and moving the chains when needed.

maybe he was just benefiting from crabtree's pretense...idk, but ill be interested to see what crabtree does without amendola there. if another little no name WR steps up in crabtrees shadow, then maybe its crabtree opening things up for everyone else. if not and crabtree regresses.....ill be sad but also, it might deliver a blow to how he's viewed with pro potential.

itll be interesting to see...im really hoping crabtree is the real deal

Comment

Had I not seen him multiple times, and knowing what TT tends to produce I would have said product of the system. But I saw 4 games this year, and this guy is the real deal, he is one of the most impressive athletes and has great hands, and ran surprisingly decent routes.

Comment

His numbers are definitely inflated because of the system, but he is an amazing player. Anquan Boldin-esque physicality, great hands and can run away from people. There are definitely going to be questions when he comes out, but he is an amazing talent.

That is correct comahan
                            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                            <3 dg

Comment

I'm one year too late. I'll be there next year so this time next year i will fill you guys in.

Dallas Cowboys/Denver Broncos/Tennessee Volunteer Fan

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information