The 2008 SEC Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2008 SEC Thread

Noticed there were threads for other conferences, but not this one. And seeing as how this is the conference my team(South Carolina Gamecocks) is in, I decided to make one.

Sig by Matthew Jones

LSU it teh Rox0rzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Here's my All-SEC Preseason:

QB:
      Tim Tebow, Florida

RB:

Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
      Arian Foster, Tennessee

WR:

Percy Harvin, Florida
      Kenny McKinley, South Carolina

TE:
      Cornelius Ingram, Florida

OL:

Michael Oher, Ole Miss
      Ciron Black, Louisiana State
      Herman Johnson, Louisiana State
      Andre Smith, Alabama
      Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas

--------------------------------------------------------------

DL:
      Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
      Sen'Derrick Marks, Auburn
      Tyson Jackson, Louisiana State
      Jeff Owens, Georgia

LB:
      Darry Beckwith, Louisiana State
      Brandon Spikes, Florida
      Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina

DB:
      Captain Munnerlyn, South Carolina
      Eric Berry, Tennessee
      Emmanuel Cook, South Carolina
      Rashad Johnson, Alabama

--------------------------------------------------------------

K:
      Ryan Succop, South Carolina

P:
      Ryan Shoemaker, Auburn

RS:
      Brandon James, Florida

Heres my standings predictions as well:

Overall:
      1. Georgia
      2. Auburn
      3. Louisiana State
      4. Florida
      5. South Carolina
      6. Alabama
      7. Tennessee
      8. Mississippi State
      9. Arkansas
      10. Kentucky
      11. Vanderbilt
      12. Ole Miss

SEC East:
      1. Georgia
      2. Florida
      3. South Carolina
      4. Tennessee
      5. Kentucky
      6. Vanderbilt

SEC West:
      1. Auburn
      2. Louisiana State
      3. Alabama
      4. Mississippi State
      5. Arkansas
      6. Ole Miss
      Last edited by Cigaro; 05-26-2008, 01:09 PM.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Hwoarang View Post
        LSU it teh Rox0rzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        If they had Perrilloux...

Seriously though, I think if they can get just Matt Flynn type play from one of their quarterbacks, they'd probably overtake Auburn in my standings.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

SECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first of many posts like that...Get used to it.

I<3 Andre Smith. I think he's a man stud who will go in the top 20 this year, assuming he keeps his weight under control.

Comment

i expect a breakout year for dj moore cb, vanderbilt

Comment

Good to see this thread up.

And good call on Georgia, they probably do look like the team to win the conference this year, thanks a great deal to consistency/quality at quarterback. Here's their schedule:

08/30/08 Georgia Southern Eagles
              09/06/08 Central Michigan Chippewas
              09/13/08 at South Carolina Gamecocks
              09/20/08 at Arizona State Sun Devils
              09/27/08 Alabama Crimson Tide
              10/11/08 Tennessee Volunteers
              10/18/08 Vanderbilt Commodores
              10/25/08 at LSU Tigers
              11/01/08 Florida Gators (Jacksonville, FL)
              11/08/08 at Kentucky Wildcats
              11/15/08 at Auburn Tigers
              11/29/08 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Good to have Alabama at home, I think they could be the second-best team in the SEC this year. Depends on how much Florida's young budding defense will have progressed through now.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                Good to see this thread up.

And good call on Georgia, they probably do look like the team to win the conference this year, thanks a great deal to consistency/quality at quarterback. Here's their schedule:

08/30/08 Georgia Southern Eagles
                09/06/08 Central Michigan Chippewas
                09/13/08 at South Carolina Gamecocks
                09/20/08 at Arizona State Sun Devils
                09/27/08 Alabama Crimson Tide
                10/11/08 Tennessee Volunteers
                10/18/08 Vanderbilt Commodores
                10/25/08 at LSU Tigers
                11/01/08 Florida Gators (Jacksonville, FL)
                11/08/08 at Kentucky Wildcats
                11/15/08 at Auburn Tigers
                11/29/08 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Good to have Alabama at home, I think they could be the second-best team in the SEC this year. Depends on how much Florida's young budding defense will have progressed through now.
                Yikes. That's a hard schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigaro View Post
                  Noticed there were threads for other conferences, but not this one.
                  Its because the SEC doesn't need one, the conference already gets enough respect nationwide. Just let the teams play do the talking.

Comment

I don't think Ole Miss will finsih last in the SEC, I think they will have a good year. We finally have a coach, a quarterback, and a lot of talent. The Rebels played very close games against good teams like LSU, Florida, Alabama, and Auburn last season with an incompetent head coach and no QB. They should at least get be .500 in my opinion.

QB Sophmore Jevan Snead, a Texas transfer and fromer top 100 recruit, will probably be the most important player on the team thise year. Poor QB play has killed us since Eli Manning left. Brent Schaeffer was a great talent who was thrown into the fire and never recovered aside from so flashes of brilliance late last season. There isn't much behind snead for depth, but coach Houston Nutt intends to use WR Dexter McCluster as an option QB in the way he used Darren McFadden at Arkansas.

RB Junior Cordera Eason will be the starter going into the season. The 6-1 240 Eason is a physical runner with speed. He was a top recruit out of high school but didn't see the field much behind BJGE. Enrique Davis, a five star recruit, should see the field in his first season in Oxford. Devin Thomas and Brandon Bolden are two other freshmen who could see the field this year. Bolden is a pwerful back and Thomas, a high school Army All-American, is a speedy well rounded back.

FB Senior Jason Cook could be the top FB in the SEC, he is a great blocker and is used as a receiver quite often. Sophmore Derrick Davis is a FB/RB tweener who will play at both spots.

TE Tight end is arguably the biggest area of concern for the Rebels after losing their top 3 TEs last year. JUCO signee Gerald Harris is a great athlete the Rebels #1 TE, but he will be thrown into the fire. David Traxler is the #2 and he is essentialy and extra offensive lineman. Reggie Hicks is a receiving option for Snead. Freshmen Ferbia Allen and EJ Epperson are big and athletic, but will probably need to bulk up and learn since they are so raw. They both are promising players.

WR One of the Rebels strongest positions. Senior Mike Wallace is a big play guy who will join talented junior Shay Hodge to form a strong starting duo. Junior Dexter McCluster will be the slot receiver, he is the Rebles big play guy whether he is at receiver, running back, returner, or quarterback. McCluster lacks size but is fast, smart, and tough. Markeith Summers and Lionel Breaux are talented sophmores who impressed Nutt a lot and will see some playing time this year. Mike Hicks is a big, physical senior who was clutch last season, especially in the red zone. Freshman Andrew Harris was a big recruit who has impressed the coaches with his size (6-4 200) and raw speed. Freshman Melvin Harris is 6-7 200 pounds and could be a factor as a freshman.

OL Senior LT Mike Oher is the leader of the OL and could be the nation's best lineman. Oher has it all and has been a dominant player while starting since a freshman for Ole Miss. Junior LG Reid Neely had a strong season last year and should be great next to Oher. The Rebels lost their top two centers this year, and guard Daverin Geralds was moved to center and will start. Senior Darryl Harris moved from tackle to start at RG, the coaches have been impressed by Harris this pre-season. Junior John Jerry moved from RG to RT after an impressive sophmore season, he could be an all-SEC player this year.

DL Probably the Rebels strongest unit. All-American junior Greg Hardy is an off the charts athlete who gets it done on the field as well, but is listed as the #2 RE behind talented 6-5 245 pound sophmore Kentrell Lockett. Hardy was listed as the #2 end last season as well but he still led the SEC in sacks despite missing 3 games. Lockett and Hardy are both gifted athletes who know how to get to the QB from the RE spot. Junior LE Marcus Tillman is extremely talented at 6-4 270 pounds. He has been a force since his freshman year. Emmanuel Stevens is a talented JUCO signee who will provide depth at end, he is primarily a pass rusher. 6-2 300 pound senior UT Peria Jerry was all-SEC last year and could be one of the nations top DTs this year. 6-2 305 pound sophmore NT Ted Laurent was a big time recruit who saw limited action last year. Sophmore Lawon Scott is coming off an impressive freshman campaign, he and redshirt freshman Justin Sanders will provide depth at DT.

LB This is an undersized but incredibly athletic unit that looks to be the best group of LBs the Rebels have seen in a while. Ashlee Palmer led the Rebels in tackles last year and looks to start at WLB. Palmer is a converted safety and is one of the teams best athletes at 6-2 225 pounds. Sophmore Allen Walker is another converted safety at SLB. Walker has blazing speed at 6-1 215 pounds and looks to impress after getting his first opportiunity to live up to his super recruit status. Junior MLB Jonathan Cornell is another great athlete at 6-1 225 and he takes over for last years starter, Tony Fein. Fein is a thumper at 6-3 250 who will see the field, but he fell out of favor with Nutt and lost the starting job. Ex-Auburn signee Patrick Trahan will be an important depth player. He is 6-2 230 with great speed and can play all 3 spots, he may end up starting by the end of the season. This group will be exciting and fun to watch, there are some great athletes at LB for the Rebels.

DB Senior SS JaMarca Sanford leads the secondary, a unit that has struggled for the Rebels for a while. This unit is improved and Sanford looks to anchor the defense as a tough, physical, and smart leader. Sophmore Jonny Brown had an exceptional freshman year and he locked up the FS job, Brown can also play corner. Junior Marshay Green was an explosive WR and returner last season, but was shifted to corner and emerged as the Rebels #1 CB. Green is an exceptional athlete at 5-11 185 and I am curious to see him at corner. Junior Cassius Vaughn will start opposite Green, he impressed coaches in the spring enough to earn a starting job. Senior Dustin Mouzon will be an important player for the Rebs, he is a solid cover guy. Sophmore UCLA transfer Jeremy McGee moved from RB to CB and is listed as the teams #4 corner now. Senior Terrell Jackson is the secondary's jack of all trades and can provide depth at every position. The Rebels have a ton of depth in the secondary, but there is a lack of proven players there.

Special Teams Junior Joshua Shene had an OK season after being a freshman All-American two years ago. He will be the starting kicker. Senior Rob Park and junor Justin Sparks are battling for the punter job. Marshay Green is the teams punt returner again after moving from WR to CB, he took one to the house against LSU last year. Green, Dexter McCluster, and Mike Wallace should all see time returning kicks and punts.

SCHEDULE

Memphis Should be a win

at Wake Forest Will be a tough game, I think we will win

Samford Should be a win

Vandy Vandy lost its top players, should be a win

at Florida The Gators are tough, but it was a one score game last year and we should play well but I say loss

South Carolina I think this will be a great game, but I will say loss

at Bama We played Bama well last year, but lost in the games final seconds due to a close call by the refs. I'll say loss.

at Arkansas Nutt's return to Arkansas will have the Hogs fired up but I think we will win.

Auburn Another game we should have one but made mistakes in the final minutes. I think we win at home.

Louisiana Monroe Should be a win.

at LSU Was a great game last year, tied at the half. Poor coaching prevented the upset. I'll say loss.

Miss. St. Last year's Egg Bowl was another close game the came down to coaching and Orgeron blew it. We will win at home this year.

The Rebels should be around 6-6 but I would not be suprised to see the team have a winning record. This team was better than the record indicated last year, and when you consider the team has a better coach and much more talent and experience, this team has a chance to be good. Anyone who saw the Rebs play last year knows they had a few games where they nearly pulled off the ridiculous upset, I think this year the Rebels show thay they can play in the SEC led by Jevan Snead and Houston Nutt. This team is talented and I say they go 7-5, but could be better.

Comment

I don't have any favorites in the SEC but it is my favorite conference to watch and i believe it is the best football in the country. Personally this year i am pulling for Miss. State, Croom is one of my favorite coaches and he is bringing in just enough talent to surprise some people. Antonio Dixon is a beat at RB and it wouldn't surprise me if he was right up there with Moreno at seasons end.

BTW I will be having a Fantasy SEC Football League, for any of you who are devote SEC fans PM me, it won't be 1st come 1st serve because I want reliable posters, but it should be fun

Comment

Originally posted by 504 to ATL View Post
                        Its because the SEC doesn't need one, the conference already gets enough respect nationwide. Just let the teams play do the talking.
                        Oh dear....

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
                          SCHEDULE

Memphis Should be a win

at Wake Forest Will be a tough game, I think we will win

Samford Should be a win

Vandy Vandy lost its top players, should be a win

at Florida The Gators are tough, but it was a one score game last year and we should play well but I say loss

South Carolina I think this will be a great game, but I will say loss

at Bama We played Bama well last year, but lost in the games final seconds due to a close call by the refs. I'll say loss.

at Arkansas Nutt's return to Arkansas will have the Hogs fired up but I think we will win.

Auburn Another game we should have one but made mistakes in the final minutes. I think we win at home.

Louisiana Monroe Should be a win.

at LSU Was a great game last year, tied at the half. Poor coaching prevented the upset. I'll say loss.

Miss. St. Last year's Egg Bowl was another close game the came down to coaching and Orgeron blew it. We will win at home this year.

The Rebels should be around 6-6 but I would not be suprised to see the team have a winning record. This team was better than the record indicated last year, and when you consider the team has a better coach and much more talent and experience, this team has a chance to be good. Anyone who saw the Rebs play last year knows they had a few games where they nearly pulled off the ridiculous upset, I think this year the Rebels show thay they can play in the SEC led by Jevan Snead and Houston Nutt. This team is talented and I say they go 7-5, but could be better.
                          I do understand you're optimism, as Ole Miss does have talent, but I think you are reaching on some of you're win or loss picks. Wake Forest is solid throughout, and has proven players at key positions. With it being only the second game of the season, both teams will still be making adjustments from the first game, but WF has much better proven experience.

Auburn is a top fifteen team according to nearly ever major ranking service, and they have one of the top coaches in the nation. While you have a chance to beat Wake Forest, I can't see you at all beating Auburn.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Cigaro View Post
                            I do understand you're optimism, as Ole Miss does have talent, but I think you are reaching on some of you're win or loss picks. Wake Forest is solid throughout, and has proven players at key positions. With it being only the second game of the season, both teams will still be making adjustments from the first game, but WF has much better proven experience.

Auburn is a top fifteen team according to nearly ever major ranking service, and they have one of the top coaches in the nation. While you have a chance to beat Wake Forest, I can't see you at all beating Auburn.
                            I don't know, we lost to them in a very close game last year without our starting QB and two of the best players we have on defense out (DE Greg Hardy and SS JaMarca Sanford). If we play the way we did IN Auburn last year, I like our chances at home with Jevan Snead at QB and Nutt at the helm. It could be just optimism but I think this team will have a few suprise wins this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
                              I don't know, we lost to them in a very close game last year without our starting QB and two of the best players we have on defense out (DE Greg Hardy and SS JaMarca Sanford). If we play the way we did IN Auburn last year, I like our chances at home with Jevan Snead at QB and Nutt at the helm. It could be just optimism but I think this team will have a few suprise wins this year.
                              Don, I was thinking of driving down for an Ole Miss game this year because I've heard nothing but good things about it. Are tickets/lodging generally expensive there?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information