No announcement yet.

Top 10 Football Factories All Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started putting the names of the Pro Bowlers and All Pros in for each school, as well as the number of times for each guy. I only have Syracuse, Alabama, and of course Michigan entered so far, but I'll get them all plus the other schools eventually.

Originally posted by Jakey
    WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by Dagagad View Post
      Depends what you mean by good pros.

Here are guys who start or play extended roles for NFL teams as of last season.

Bush
      Cassell
      Ellis
      Kalil
      Lutui
      Patterson
      Rachal
      Rivers
      Smith
      White
      Baker
      Cody

That is not counting the rookies this year obviously although you have to assume a few of those guys will start.

In short I don't think it is fair to call USC bust central. It is more a case of them sending alot of guys and an appropriate percentage busting.
      palmer? polamalu? tatupu?

can probably add lawrence Jackson and Terrell Thomas to that list as well.
      Last edited by soybean; 05-16-2009, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post

Hah, I didn't even notice he didn't have those guys on there.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post

Yea sorry, that list is by no means definitive. Add to it by all means.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
            I never said USC wasn't a football factory. But their record of having successful players or players that stick in the league and become productive pros isn't great over the last 10 years, thus I wouldn't put them at #1, or even 2 or 3 most likely if we're talking recent history. I'd still have them in the top 10 though, as I said in an earlier post.
            I thought the word 'factory' implied gross numbers. The no 1 'factory' would be the one that produced the most nfl players. I'm in favor of this system because it is simple.

You seem to be talking about something much more subjective. First you would have to make some guidelines for what makes a good pro/productive pro.

The first criteria is pretty simple, stuck in the league. This would mean they are on an NFL roster as of right now.

I'd propose that productive pro, means that they start or play an extended role.

You could also add a third category, all pro. As this could tell you which college produces elite players. This one might be a little biased though. Hypothetically if a college got a lot of players drafted 7 years ago rather than 3 years ago they would have more all pros.

Anyway, seeing as I really don't feel like studying korean/cleaning my apartment this afternoon I'll do this for Georgia and USC. I'm not a fan of either. In fact I don't tend to like teams with pro style offenses. So I'm not biased either way.

Results will be taken from last 10 drafts not counting this years. (99-08) including undrafted guys from those classes. I'll just go through the rosters/depth charts/ all pro lists. Starter means starts now/started for 5 years of the past ten.

I'll post the results in a bit.

no special teams all pros..i'm not going thru a bunch of kickers.
            Last edited by Dagagad; 05-17-2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Do they though? They've had 56 players drafted since '99 (not including this year), and only have 29 players that are still active in the NFL. Only 3 Pro Bowlers and 2 All Pros. According to the list Dagagad put up, they only have 12 players currently starting or playing extended roles. I'm sorry, that's really not a lot of good players.
              what other college have more than 12 starting in the nfl right now? can't be more than a handful, if that

Comment

Originally posted by Dagagad View Post
                They are players that are good enough to get drafted into the NFL. That is the sole requirement of the term football factory.
                true, the topic has kind of strayed to "nfl success"

not who pumps out the most prospects year in, year out

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
                  what other college have more than 12 starting in the nfl right now? can't be more than a handful, if that
                  Tom Brady
                  Steve Breaston (Cardinals basically start with 3 WRs)
                  LaMarr Woodley
                  Leon Hall
                  David Harris
                  Charles Woodson
                  Steve Hutchinson
                  Marlin Jackson
                  Jake Long
                  Braylon Edwards
                  David Baas
                  Jeff Backus
                  B.J Askew
                  Larry Foote (will he start with the Lions?)

There are 14 for Michigan, and I'm surely forgetting someone.

Suck it, haters.

Comment

Well I didn't even bother going to all pro teams.

I went to nfl.com, looked at the rosters. Ignored guys over 10 years of experience and rookies. Georgia has more active and starting in that time frame.

Georgia

40 active NFL players
                    28 starting or extended roles

USC

35 active players
                    23 staring or extended roles

This could change over the coming years as Georgia seemed to have more guys in the 5-9 years in league range than USC.

In terms of raw numbers of players drafted in that time frame.

USC- 55 (1999-2008)
                    Georgia- 57 (1999-2008)

So Georgia and USC have been pretty similar in terms of players who have stuck and players who start as well as how many players go to the draft.

Projecting into the future, you would have to think USC will outstrip Georgia as over the last 5 years(including this year) they have had more players drafted.

Georgia - 28(6 in 2009)
                    USC - 42 (11 in 2009)

In other words, USC seem to be cranking into a Miami like gear.

Speaking of Miami, I'll look at them next.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                      Tom Brady
                      LaMarr Woodley
                      Leon Hall
                      David Harris
                      Charles Woodson
                      Steve Hutchinson
                      Marlin Jackson
                      Jake Long
                      Braylon Edwards
                      David Baas
                      Jeff Backus
                      B.J Askew

Suck it, haters.
                      Michigan is definitely up there in that elite category with Miami and USC also.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                        Tom Brady
                        LaMarr Woodley
                        Leon Hall
                        David Harris
                        Charles Woodson
                        Steve Hutchinson
                        Marlin Jackson
                        Jake Long
                        Braylon Edwards
                        David Baas
                        Jeff Backus
                        B.J Askew

Suck it, haters.
                        Depending how you look at it, you could probably include guys like Gabe Watson (started 16 games in '07, had injury problems that limited him in '08), Cato June (started 14 of 16 games last year), and Dhani Jones (started 16 games last year, although probably won't start this year).

Comment

Last time I read up on this it said Miami, FSU, UGA had most players on active rosters in the NFL. Then Michigan. Then OSU.

Comment

Depending how you look at it, you could probably include guys like Gabe Watson (started 16 games in '07, had injury problems that limited him in '08), Cato June (started 14 of 16 games last year), and Dhani Jones (started 16 games last year, although probably won't start this year).
                            Don't forget Jay Feely and Jonathan Goodwin (13 starts). Jon Jansen (11) and Amani Toomer (12) were starters last year too but are now free agents, Ty Law will end up somewhere, and Pierre Woods will probably start for New England.
                            I'm a state.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                              Don't forget Jay Feely and Jonathan Goodwin (13 starts). Jon Jansen (11) and Amani Toomer (12) were starters last year too but are now free agents, Ty Law will end up somewhere, and Pierre Woods will probably start for New England.
                              Jon Runyan started at RT for the Eagles last year, too. I said I knew I was forgetting someone, ha.

Comment

We got shafted :P
                                Temple University Owls

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information