Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should all BCS conferences have 12 teams and a conferance championship game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should all BCS conferences have 12 teams and a conferance championship game?

    In light of this article with Joe Pa, I thought this would make a good discussion in a rather boring time...

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...v=ap&type=lgns

    I think it is silly not to have the BCS conferences with 12 teams and a championship game. They are playing for an automatic bid into one of the top 4 bowl games, so shouldn't they have to really earn it? Also, with non BCS conferences expanding at a good rate, it might be wise to move some of the best teams out into BCS conferences.

    Lets start off with the big 10. The most logical choice would be Notre Dame. They are in the midwest, provide a large tv market, and have a long time rivalry with a Big 10 team. Lets look at how that will break down.

    WEST Division: (permanent rivals from opposing division)
    Illinois (Indiana)
    Northwestern (Purdue)
    Iowa (Ohio St.)
    Minnesota (Penn St.)
    Wisconsin (Michigan St.)
    *Notre Dame* (Michigan)

    EAST Division:
    Indiana (Illinois)
    Purdue (Northwestern)
    Ohio St. (Iowa)
    Penn St. (Minnesota)
    Michigan St. (Wisconsin)
    Michigan (Notre Dame)

    So, you got your 4 out of conference games (some of which are the same every year, a la Notre Dam and USC, Notre Dame and Navy, Iowa and Iowa St., etc), your 5 games within your division, your 1 permanent opponent from the other division, and the other 2 games rotate between 2 of the 5 remaining opponents in the other division every 2 years. Then you got the conference championship game.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

    Now it's time for the Pac 10. They need two more teams. I really wanted to go with Boise St. and Utah here, but I think the PAC 10 would rather preserve that inter-state rivalry thing they got going. So, instead, I went with Utah and BYU. Both BYU and Utah are top non-BCS schools, and both are in Utah. The breakdown would be:

    NORTH Division:
    Washington
    Washington St.
    Oregon
    Oregon St.
    *Utah*
    *Brigham Young*

    SOUTH Division:
    UCLA
    USC
    CAL
    Stanford
    Arizona
    Arizona St.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

    Last, but not least, time for the Big East. They now need 4 teams added. I think I'm gonna dig into the MAC. First, Northern Illinois. They keep improving every year and are one of the most televised teams.

    Next, lets go with Central Florida. Nice new stadium, building some good teams, and are in a great area for recruiting. Plus, they are rivals with South Florida.

    Lets expand out and add TCU. Not really in the east, but then again, the Cowboys play in the east. TCU has been one of the better non BCA teams and should be competitive in the Big East.

    Lastly, I'll say Rice. This was the toughest one to pick, but I'll add another Texas team that has only been improving and bringing in some serious talent. The breakdown would look like:

    EAST Division:
    *Central Florida*
    South Florida
    Rutgers
    Syracuse
    Connectict
    Pitt

    WEST Division:
    *Rice*
    *TCU*
    *NIU*
    WVU
    Louisville
    Cincinnati

    Well, that is my dream scenario.

    ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!


  • #2
    If you wanted conference champions to REALLY earn it, conferences should follow the Pac 10's model and play a complete round robin.
    I'm a state.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would rather see BYU and Utah in the Big XII but they already have 12 teams so bleh!


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michigan View Post
        If you wanted conference champions to REALLY earn it, conferences should follow the Pac 10's model and play a complete round robin.
        Agreed.

        But the Pac10 gets downgraded as a conference because they end up beating each other up...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by benchod View Post
          But the Pac10 gets downgraded as a conference because they end up beating each other up...
          I've been saying that for so long, but no one here agrees.

          Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

          Comment


          • #6
            It's the next logical step in giving any legitimacy to the BCS, the best conferences and teams shouldn't be punished. But Notre Dame will never join the Big Ten until NBC doesn't give them a huge TV contract, which is never.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree with you about the BCS conferences all needing 12, however, I see and understand the Pac 10's logic in keeping 10 teams. Despite how I may disagree with Pac 10 apologists, they do make a very valid and sound point how a 10 round robin is best.

              Back to your point, though. I disagree with your choices for the Big East. While the Dallas Cowboys may play in the NFC East, college conferences take into account travel cost, length of time to and from cities, etc... Going from Fort Worth, TX to Syracuse, NY or New Brunswick, NJ would cost quite a bit, not to mention the length of time it would take to get to those two cities. I also like the idea of the MWC being strong but that would be tossed out the window if Utah & BYU bolt for the Pac-10. I guess then the MWC would bring in Fresno, Hawaii, and Boise St. but that's just me thinking out loud.

              So, back to your point...

              Big 10

              Ideally, yes, Notre Dame would join the Big 10. In today's climate it would benefit them more to join a BCS conference than stay independent. However, Notre Dame is a tradition rich school and I do not see them leaving their television deal or the perks of being independent.

              Most ideal candidates in order:
              Notre Dame
              West Virginia
              Syracuse
              Rutgers
              Louisville
              Iowa St.

              Big East - This conference is going to be shaken up sooner than later. The basketball only teams are discussing the feasibility of forming their own conference which would put the primary focus on football. Grabbing four note-worthy teams from any conference close to the Big East's region is going to be a hard feat to do. Most likely they will have to go after C-USA teams mostly, if not the service acadamies of Army & Navy. Temple is another school that could garner some consideration given they were in the Big East a few years back. I wouldn't rule out Notre Dame either as they affiliated with the conference in every sport but football and could easily be one of the top ranked football programs in the Big East (depending if they return to form).

              Most ideal candidates in order:
              Notre Dame
              Memphis
              East Carolina
              UCF
              Southern Miss
              Northern Illinois
              Navy
              Army

              Just like what happened when the ACC expanding several years ago there will be an aftershock felt across most conferences. I have several scenario's (eight altogether I believe) about potential conference re-alignments on my personal computer.

              Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

              Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd be thrilled to see Notre Dame join the Big Ten, but they make money hand over fist staying Independent, so they will continue playing soft schedules year in and year out and getting into bowls they usually do not deserve to play in and lose since do not have to split the money they receive with the rest of a conference in addition to their bloated TV contract.

                Notre Dame might want to consider putting the Almighty Dollar opposite Touchdown Jesus.

                If the Big Ten were to get another team, my money would be on Pittsburgh at this point.

                Comment


                • #9
                  if anything I'd like 8 team conferences better. It gives every team up to five slots to plan traditional rivals.
                  If ND is ever gonna join in any conference its gonna wanna be sure that they can play USC, Michigan, Army, Navy, Stanford and Purdue every year. So ever when they join a big10esque conference they'd still have 3 must haves outside conference scedule.
                  This is not even considering the fact that they have to play 3 big east teams due to hoops and stuff.

                  I actually think the bcs would be more fun with more independent teams.
                  I still also want a 16 team playoff in the end but thats never gonna happen.

                  So I'd settle for the bowl games we have right now 10 teams of which 6 conference champions. The best 2 minor conference/ independents (given more independents) and two spots as wild cards.

                  This would hopefully result in better appreciation for scedule strength and more tough scedules. Right now winning a conference is almost the easy way in for some conferences.

                  In that regard I'd love for ND to rescedule Miami. Playing Oklahoma(we are gonna play them a few times, early next decade), Miami, Michigan, USC amongst others as headliners and rounding that off with 3 big east teams (presumably almost always pitt, bc and uconn), the service acadamies, Purdue, Michigan State and a few rotating teams like Wake Forest, AriSt amongst others makes for nice scedules.
                  I realise that ND wont scedule themselves out of national title contention anymore like they did in the early nineties but a ND scedule off:
                  USC, Miami, UM, MichST, some big team (Oklahoma in early next decade, but can be Texas, some SEC school or even pOSU as well), Purdue, Army, Navy, Pitt, BC, Uconn and some slightly smaller school with similar academic values like Stanford, Wake Forest or Vanderbilt would make a mighty nice scedule without being unplayable.

                  exits :soapbox:


                  Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                  - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                  - Corner or Wideout in the first
                  - No reaching
                  - No Kelvin Benjamin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post

                    WEST Division: (permanent rivals from opposing division)
                    Illinois (Indiana)
                    Northwestern (Purdue)
                    Iowa (Ohio St.)
                    Minnesota (Penn St.)
                    Wisconsin (Michigan St.)
                    *Notre Dame* (Michigan)

                    EAST Division:
                    Indiana (Illinois)
                    Purdue (Northwestern)
                    Ohio St. (Iowa)
                    Penn St. (Minnesota)
                    Michigan St. (Wisconsin)
                    Michigan (Notre Dame)
                    I think in that scenario Illinois and Ohio State would be the "permanent rivals" instead of Iowa or Indiana. Illibuck.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                      I think in that scenario Illinois and Ohio State would be the "permanent rivals" instead of Iowa or Indiana. Illibuck.
                      Illinois-Indiana is a pretty big rivalry.

                      Also, I have a feeling if the Big XI does split into divisions, they would separate OSU and Michigan in hopes to have them face eachother in the championship.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OSU/Illinois play for the Illibuck trophy, and they were a really big rivalry back a long time ago before the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry exploded in intensity.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wicket View Post
                          if anything I'd like 8 team conferences better. It gives every team up to five slots to plan traditional rivals.
                          If ND is ever gonna join in any conference its gonna wanna be sure that they can play USC, Michigan, Army, Navy, Stanford and Purdue every year. So ever when they join a big10esque conference they'd still have 3 must haves outside conference scedule.
                          This is not even considering the fact that they have to play 3 big east teams due to hoops and stuff.

                          I actually think the bcs would be more fun with more independent teams.
                          I still also want a 16 team playoff in the end but thats never gonna happen.

                          So I'd settle for the bowl games we have right now 10 teams of which 6 conference champions. The best 2 minor conference/ independents (given more independents) and two spots as wild cards.

                          This would hopefully result in better appreciation for scedule strength and more tough scedules. Right now winning a conference is almost the easy way in for some conferences.

                          In that regard I'd love for ND to rescedule Miami. Playing Oklahoma(we are gonna play them a few times, early next decade), Miami, Michigan, USC amongst others as headliners and rounding that off with 3 big east teams (presumably almost always pitt, bc and uconn), the service acadamies, Purdue, Michigan State and a few rotating teams like Wake Forest, AriSt amongst others makes for nice scedules.
                          I realise that ND wont scedule themselves out of national title contention anymore like they did in the early nineties but a ND scedule off:
                          USC, Miami, UM, MichST, some big team (Oklahoma in early next decade, but can be Texas, some SEC school or even pOSU as well), Purdue, Army, Navy, Pitt, BC, Uconn and some slightly smaller school with similar academic values like Stanford, Wake Forest or Vanderbilt would make a mighty nice scedule without being unplayable.

                          exits :soapbox:
                          Weis threw out most, if not all of ND's academic standards when he came in to make the team more competitive... so they are no longer in the conversation with Stanford, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, and Virginia. Their football academic standards would be more in line with schools like UCLA, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia Tech thanks to Weis.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                            Weis threw out most, if not all of ND's academic standards when he came in to make the team more competitive... so they are no longer in the conversation with Stanford, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, and Virginia. Their football academic standards would be more in line with schools like UCLA, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia Tech thanks to Weis.
                            please look at the percentage of players graduating and on what majors, at the moment stanford has lower standards when offering kids than ND does.
                            Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                            I'd be thrilled to see Notre Dame join the Big Ten, but they make money hand over fist staying Independent, so they will continue playing soft schedules year in and year out and getting into bowls they usually do not deserve to play in and lose since do not have to split the money they receive with the rest of a conference in addition to their bloated TV contract.

                            Notre Dame might want to consider putting the Almighty Dollar opposite Touchdown Jesus.

                            If the Big Ten were to get another team, my money would be on Pittsburgh at this point.
                            Last two years (with the easiest scedules in ND history) they still played a SoS similar to a Big10 team (outside pOSU). So yeah the scedule was easy for ND standards but to call it a walktrough is just wrong.



                            So to be honest, your arguments are 100% BS.
                            But please do talk more.
                            Last edited by wicket; 05-28-2009, 02:18 PM.


                            Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                            - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                            - Corner or Wideout in the first
                            - No reaching
                            - No Kelvin Benjamin

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Has a single Weis recruit graduated yet?

                              No?

                              So you think I should look at Willingham's graduation rates with academic standards intact to gauge how well Weis is doing?

                              Makes perfect sense to me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information