Buy or Sell? 2009 NCAA Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by etk View Post
    I don't see how Armstrong is in a better situation. Spence came in early and learned the defense. His competition at OLB was McCarthy and Sharpton. I'm pretty sure he would've started even if McCarthy was healthy all year.

Phillips opened the season as a starter for us the past 2 years. He doesn't just have the job because he's a Senior...he leads the DBs in weight room numbers, he knows the defense and the coaches always praise him as someone who's a leader. Armstrong will be able to contribute but I don't think he'll get to start barring injury. I expect solid play from Phillips and Maque and neither will get pulled unless otherwise.

Spence was 1st team at this time last year. Everyone was talking about how advanced he was for a Fr. I knew he was gonna start.

Sniper: A TD-INT ratio like that usually means good QB play. That has nothing to do with the irrelevant, illogical and tiresome argument of a QB's W-L record and how far they "lead" their team. Like Matt Leinart and Vince Young led USC and Texas to the NC while Jay Cutler didn't even make a bowl (I think). Or how about Drew Brees nearly breaking the yardage record this year for the NFC South bottom dwelling Saints.
    Spence's competition last year was McCarthy. Spence wasn't gonna get moved to the other side to battle Sharpton and he wasn't passing McCarthy if not for the injury. Plus remember, Arthur got rave review in the spring as well.

Phillips does have the job because he's a SR.

Phillips would not have started for us last year. 1st of all, he was suspended the 1st game and then came back againt UF still didn't start. He played 2nd team against UF. JoJo and Reddick where the starters. After that he got hurt. He probably would have started couple games just because JoJo was so bad but he was not the clear cut starter you are making him out to be. He was severly outplayed in fall practice by JoJo. Have you forgotten how much hype was around JoJo coming into last year?

So what is in Ray Ray's way is a 6th year SR who is coming off a year long injury, struggles with coverages as evidenced by his move from CB and has yet to really play any meaningful time at S for us. And then Vaughn Telemaque who we all expect to be a stud, but he has yet to take a college snap. JoJo had the same hype of Maque going into last year.

Your telling me you don't see meaningful time in that rotation for a physical freak like Ray Ray with the potential to overtake one of those guys if things do go as planned?

And considering Randy Phillips history with the team, sucking at CB, being suspended, injuries. You don't think something will happen to give Ray Ray a shot?

Randy Phillips is the defense version of JJ. He's just not reliable. (and less talented)

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
      Spence's competition last year was McCarthy. Spence wasn't gonna get moved to the other side to battle Sharpton and he wasn't passing McCarthy if not for the injury. Plus remember, Arthur got rave review in the spring as well.

Phillips does have the job because he's a SR.

Phillips would not have started for us last year. 1st of all, he was suspended the 1st game and then came back againt UF still didn't start. He played 2nd team against UF. JoJo and Reddick where the starters. After that he got hurt. He probably would have started couple games just because JoJo was so bad but he was not the clear cut starter you are making him out to be. He was severly outplayed in fall practice by JoJo. Have you forgotten how much hype was around JoJo coming into last year?

So what is in Ray Ray's way is a 6th year SR who is coming off a year long injury, struggles with coverages as evidenced by his move from CB and has yet to really play any meaningful time at S for us. And then Vaughn Telemaque who we all expect to be a stud, but he has yet to take a college snap. JoJo had the same hype of Maque going into last year.

Your telling me you don't see meaningful time in that rotation for a physical freak like Ray Ray with the potential to overtake one of those guys if things do go as planned?

And considering Randy Phillips history with the team, sucking at CB, being suspended, injuries. You don't think something will happen to give Ray Ray a shot?

Randy Phillips is the defense version of JJ. He's just not reliable. (and less talented)
      Spence wouldn't have been moved to the other side. McCarthy would and Sharpton would find his *** on the bench. I don't remember Arthur getting rave reviews at all. All I remember was the talk of how he wasn't ready for the next step and lacked the fundamentals from playing weaker competition. You even said it yourself multiple times.

Who else is supposed to be starting over Phillips now? Plus if we didn't want him we would've told him not to come back like Reddick.

My bad on this. I forgot JoJo starting, and the hype train.

What is in Ray Ray's way is safety who has a good chance of being a reliable player that does well in coverage. The staff is counting on Phillips this year to be a leader and a veteran presence and I think he'll step up to the plate. His coverage struggles stemmed from his inability to play press man from the CB position....something he's never gonna have to do again.

I see potential for Ray Ray to get playing time, but I don't think he will overtake anyone for a starting job unless an injury happens or he really shows top instincts and intangibles. The physical ability isn't what matters...Spence was able to start and play well because he's a smart player. Marcus Robinson and Forston were both inconsistent and out of position at times. That's the difference between starter and contributor as a true freshman.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information