Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the best runner to play QB in college?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TigerBait45 View Post
    He wasn't the best, but I used to love watching Reggie McNeal.
    as did I. He was phenomenal.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Randall Cuningham's UNLV rushing stats: 775 att, 4928 yds, 35 TD, 6.4 YPC

Also, I'm going to through Robert Griffin's name out there, he has a year or two left to really cement his status as one of the top athletes to play quarterback in major college football.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Brad Smith. He was soooo good, He just glided through the Defenses. It's a shame he doesn't get recognized more for what he did at Missouri, he was insane. Pretty much the main reason the Missouri Program is at where it's at today.

Comment

Brad Smith scared the **** out of me every play when we had to play against him.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

I'm just glad I wasnt the only one who recognized how awesome B-Smith was,

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

How has nobody mentioned Matt Jones. He was a ridiculous runner in college.

Comment

Antwaan Randle El should be in the discussion. 3,895 rushing yards, not sure how many rush TDs. One of the best college players ever.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
                  I would say Vick. He was an incredible weapon and leader at Virginia.
                  Tech. And yes, there is a difference.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

Originally posted by TigerBait45 View Post
                    He wasn't the best, but I used to love watching Reggie McNeal.
                    He may have been a complete douchebag but I loved watching "Real Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                      Don't try to say Harvin gets all the credit for Tebow's running. Tebow ran all over Florida State and Alabama last year when Harvin was injured. Weak argument. It's only easy to run up the middle on SEC defenses from a messageboard. It's not so easy on the actual field.
                      Tebow doesn't deserve a mention if we are talking about the best.

He is a very good runner. He's one of the best college football players ever, and a huge factor there is his ability to keep defenses off balance with his ability to run. He's a tackle breaker, a QB with a linebacker's mentality. He'll fight for an extra inch on the football field. On 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches, there may never have been a player so dominant.

Still, does that make him a better runner than some of those that came before him? No, not at all. Is he more dangerous a runner than Michael Vick? Not a chance and you know it. How about Pat White or Brad Smith, more dangerous than either of those players? Nope. These guys may not have had the Td total that Tebow has accumulated thus far, and it's not because they weren't as good or better runners. It comes down to: A) opportunity, Tebow is given the green light in the red-zone and is Florida's premier threat inside the ten; B) a gimmicky, deceptive spread offense, with four receivers spread wide and a tailback next to him for deceiving the defense. It is very hard to stack the box, to key in on a QB, when you have three athletic receivers spread wide, an athletic tight end in the slot, and a dynamic outside threat in the backfield. Teams know they must stop Tebow, and they can't. Who gets the credit? Tebow or Urban Meyer.

What I am trying to say.... Tebow has tremendous rushing statistics, and he is a very good runner. Still to call him as natural and fear-inducing as, say, Vince Young, Pat White, Michael Vick, or Brad Smith? It'd be ridiculous. He's not a threat to go the distance. He has never had a run exceeding 30 yards. His stats are as gaudy as they are because of opportunities he has been given (and seized) and an offense that could make Reggie Ball look like an All-Conference type player. He's not fast, he's not sudden, he's not elusive. He has size, power, and most importantly (and most characteristically) the will. He puts defenses off balance and draws mismatches, but ultimately I'm not overly concerned about Tim Tebow's rushing ability when I have him pinned inside his own 25-30 yard line and that's because he's not, nor will he ever be, a home run threat.

In recent memory...Vince Young took a broken play, ran it 80 yards and made it look easy. Michael Vick was a 4.3 athlete and as elusive as anyone, he'd take a broken play and turn it into a 25 yard run, he had 11 runs over 30 yards in two years. Pat White was fast, he was smooth, he was elusive and he had a run over 50 yards... 9 times. I could not count how many runs he had over 30 yards because so often he broke two, three, or even four runs over that in a given game.. and he did it over four years.

Tim Tebow is going to go down as one of the best college players ever. Who knows, maybe he wins another Heisman and National Championship and he's the best college player ever. I can give him that, but regardless if his TD total running the ball ends up at 70-75, he's not the best running QB.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

G.O.A.T.

Comment

Tommie Frazier

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                            G.O.A.T.
                            he isnt even the best QB in his school's history

Comment

Originally posted by MarylandScout24 View Post
                              Tommie Frazier

/thread
                              Easily Easily Easily agree.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

are we talking about the best runner(regardless of how he throws) or about the best dual threat qb?

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                                - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                                - Corner or Wideout in the first
                                - No reaching
                                - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information