Who is the best player in the country?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
    How else can you judge a player than by what they, ya know, do?
    How can you reserve the term "best" for QB's only?

What you're essentially saying, is that Kerry Collins is a better football player than Troy Polamalu.

The importance of your role on a team has nothing to do with how good a football player you are. Brian Westbrook's role didn't exist until his greatness created it. It's not the fact that he plays a larger role that makes him a better player than Jason Avant. Rather, it's the fact that he's a far superior player that makes his role so much bigger. And it doesn't always add up that way. Often times the role is just bigger regardless of who occupies it. Realizing this, it becomes obvious that the position you play has nothing to do with how good a player you actually are.

If you think Tim Tebow is the best player in the nation, it ought to be just that simple. That he's simply the best in your eyes. When you explain your reasoning by pointing out the obvious fact that QB's are more valuable than safeties, you make the game all about the QB's. It's not just Tebow > Berry, but Canfield > Mays, too.

Aside from all that, the original poster went out of his way to clarify this for us ahead of time by including this within his question-

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
    ...if position/team success/conference affiliation didn't matter?

Comment

Well, Nick Sheridan IS a better player than Eric Berry, so maybe he's not far off.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
        How else can you judge a player than by what they, ya know, do?
        I say judge them by what they do and you are saying that how much they do is a very important factor as well, whilst imo if a player plays a position where he doesnt have to do AS much a player can still be a better player

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
        - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
        - Corner or Wideout in the first
        - No reaching
        - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by duckseason View Post
          What you're essentially saying, is that Kerry Collins is a better football player than Troy Polamalu.
          That isn't even remotely close to what I'm saying.

The importance of your role on a team has nothing to do with how good a football player you are.
          Ummm....what? So, the better a player is does not at all effect how important he is to his team? Interesting.

Brian Westbrook's role didn't exist until his greatness created it. It's not the fact that he plays a larger role that makes him a better player than Jason Avant. Rather, it's the fact that he's a far superior player that makes his role so much bigger.
          And the fact that he is a really good football player...gasp....increased his role!!

And it doesn't always add up that way.
          Oh....

Often times the role is just bigger regardless of who occupies it.
          Which is why quarterbacks generally tend to have the most value placed upon them. Ya know, assuming they don't suck that is.

Realizing this, it becomes obvious that the position you play has nothing to do with how good a player you actually are.
          Realizing what? I think I need a diagram.

If you think Tim Tebow is the best player in the nation, it ought to be just that simple. That he's simply the best in your eyes. When you explain your reasoning by pointing out the obvious fact that QB's are more valuable than safeties, you make the game all about the QB's. It's not just Tebow > Berry, but Canfield > Mays, too.
          Only if you have a completely limited understanding of nuance.

Aside from all that, the original poster went out of his way to clarify this for us ahead of time by including this within his question-
          Which admittedly I missed the first time, but which I still think is an illogical way of asking the question. It does matter.
          Last edited by bearsfan_51; 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
            I say judge them by what they do and you are saying that how much they do is a very important factor as well, whilst imo if a player plays a position where he doesnt have to do AS much a player can still be a better player
            How could you possibly ever know? What would you even base that on?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I'll take Gerald McCoy over Eric Berry by a slight margin.

Both are dominant players, but I will always take a dominant trench guy over a skill position player. It just makes good football sense.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                I'll take Gerald McCoy over Eric Berry by a slight margin.

Both are dominant players, but I will always take a dominant trench guy over a skill position player. It just makes good football sense.
                To me, defensive lineman are more liable to disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                  To me, defensive lineman are more liable to disappear.
                  I think a safety is more likely to dissapear than a defensive lineman. Safeties can go through stretches were they are barely involved in the play. A D-Lineman is involved in every play. He may not be blowing up every play in the backfield but if he's strong at the point of attack and is having a double team, he is still consistently having a more of an impact than a safety.

Comment

If it means best player in the country for a college team, tehn Tebow is the only option. Now if it means best player talent wise for the NFL, well then i have to say Bradford or Berry.

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

I'd take Colt McCoy over Tim Tebow, and that's hard for me to admit.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information