• Show
Clear All

yep, rushed to er

bench pressing and bar dropped on his throat; had a spotter too

likely out for year

weird injury; usually it drops on your chest

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

Time to revive this thread, I'm officially reinstated at SWDC.

Jurrell Casey is one of the best DT's in the nation.

Comment

This offense is getting better and better every week, and I think Barkley is getting better by the minute. They struggle with short yardage but i think that is something that will come.

The defense is well....your typical USC defense lol.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem like this defense is even better than the defense of years past. I know we had a bunch of marquee names like lawrence jackson, sedrick ellis, rey rey, keith rivers etc. But this defense looks just as good if not better than the years past.

we're actually doing something we've had trouble with in the past, getting sacks and getting to the quarterback. Jurrell Casey, Nick Perry, Everson Griffen, Chris Galippo, Michael Morgan, Kevin Thomas, Josh Pinkard and of course taylor mays.

very excited on what we can do.

Hopefully our offense is just a little more consistent. Maybe getting Rojo back will help with that.

Cal:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8_Sx...e=channel_page
          Wazzu
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGOJ...e=channel_page
          Washington:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZYW...e=channel_page
          Ohio State
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh5WNRs2g0
          San Jose St.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJAaIaWVO8
          Last edited by soybean; 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
            Is it just me or does it seem like this defense is even better than the defense of years past. I know we had a bunch of marquee names like lawrence jackson, sedrick ellis, rey rey, keith rivers etc. But this defense looks just as good if not better than the years past.

we're actually doing something we've had trouble with in the past, getting sacks and getting to the quarterback. Jurrell Casey, Nick Perry, Everson Griffen, Chris Galippo, Michael Morgan, Kevin Thomas, Josh Pinkard and of course taylor mays.

very excited on what we can do.

Hopefully our offense is just a little more consistent. Maybe getting Rojo back will help with that.

Cal:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8_Sx...e=channel_page
            Wazzu
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGOJ...e=channel_page
            Washington:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZYW...e=channel_page
            Ohio State
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh5WNRs2g0
            San Jose St.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJAaIaWVO8
            I think this is the best D-line in recent memory which is freeing up the LBs to make plays. Ellis and Jackson were huge but i think this one has them across the line.

Comment

Thanks for posting those videos!

Yeah it is not surprising they played so well against Cal considering what happened earlier in the week. Clearly that accident with Johnson put things in perspective, and increased the focus of the team and motivation.

Michael Morgan is becoming an outstanding player and Perry is a beast off the edge, very nice to see Griffen making some plays as well.

As long as Barkley stays healthy, they should be lights out the rest of the season.

And hopefully Johnson can come back and play football after such a horrible injury, that is flat out scary, he could have easily not been able to walk after that or even be dead. Hope he gains everything back and has a full recovery.

Comment

What a disappointing game for USC, but after hearing Pete Carroll talk about the season and that game afterward, well there are no worries. No wonder why they are so successful, they should bounce back in a big way as long as they continue to do what they do and prepare and improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                  What a disappointing game for USC, but after hearing Pete Carroll talk about the season and that game afterward, well there are no worries. No wonder why they are so successful, they should bounce back in a big way as long as they continue to do what they do and prepare and improve.
                  Yea people (in people I mean fans) are ripping USC for the performance against Oregon not realizing how young this team is on defense and Oregon is going to do THAT to just about anybody in the country. USC just ran into a buzz saw that game and I expect them to finish the season strong.

Comment

Originally posted by murdamal86 View Post
                    Yea people (in people I mean fans) are ripping USC for the performance against Oregon not realizing how young this team is on defense and Oregon is going to do THAT to just about anybody in the country. USC just ran into a buzz saw that game and I expect them to finish the season strong.
                    yeah i just hope this is our version of the 07 gators and not the end of something special :/

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
                      yeah i just hope this is our version of the 07 gators and not the end of something special :/
                      I do not think the program being built at USC is going to end anytime soon. There isnt one high school player in the country that wouldnt love to come to SC, or at least consider it.

We were very young, but we are also very good....unfortunately the young part sticks out sometimes a little more than I would like.

Next year, and already very talented team gets that much better.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

Only down side I can see to the roster is the fact that our young defensive backs are extremely suspect. Where is TJ Bryant and Wright? If we did not have the seniors in Mays, Pinkard and Harris, they would be flat out awful in pass coverage. Seriously Pinkard should be at safety but they are not even deep enough at corner so they put him out there again?

That is probably one of the biggest disappointments of the year, they need a major upgrade at defensive back and need young players to step up.

Comment

man we got to fire rocky seto, this has gotten out of control.

Comment

I expect most of if not all the underclassmen to come back and make a run at a NC with a more experienced Matt Barkley under center. USC guys have too much pride to go out like this

Comment

man we got to fire rocky seto, this has gotten out of control.
                              Yeah I do not know what is going on there. I swear though it is their lack of defensive backs, seriously Pinkard should be a safety and they have no good corners and Kevin Thomas is having a bad year and Bryant is what injured? Sure never gets on the field. What happened to Shareece Wright?

Sad thing is, they are clearly not that deep because some of those linebackers should be benched, and some of the corners should be but they have no players behind them surprisingly.

The loss of McCoy is obviously hurting the offense and possibly Stafon Johnson was a major vocal leader on the team, because ever since that accident they have went down hill after that first game without him.

The offensive line is really hurting without O'Dowd as well, just not as dominating.

Then again, they looked like this at times with Sanchez as a sophomore, but the following year he was lights out. Mostly likely will happen with Barkley since he now has his feet wet.

Then again with Sanchez as a junior, they had a much better defense all around at linebacker, defensive back and the defensive line.

I expect most of if not all the underclassmen to come back and make a run at a NC with a more experienced Matt Barkley under center. USC guys have too much pride to go out like this
                              I sure hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                                Yeah I do not know what is going on there. I swear though it is their lack of defensive backs, seriously Pinkard should be a safety and they have no good corners and Kevin Thomas is having a bad year and Bryant is what injured? Sure never gets on the field. What happened to Shareece Wright?

Sad thing is, they are clearly not that deep because some of those linebackers should be benched, and some of the corners should be but they have no players behind them surprisingly.
                                Wright was academically ineligible for the year, IIRC. Also, one of our top recruits, LB Frankie Telfort, was diagnosed with a heart problem before the season that prevented him from playing.

Right now the poor play of our LB corps sticks out like a sore thumb above anything else. However, as you noted, in the past we had the depth necessary to make adjustments on defense, and bench players who were proving to be a liability to the team. It's clear that it's no longer the case here.

This is Carroll's time to reload, and I don't expect him to fail us, well, because he never has. The next season or two will be a better indicator on which direction this USC program is heading.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information