Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountain West To Expand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mountain West To Expand?

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ceive-auto-bid

    As most of you know I'm a big fan of the Mountain West, since it is my second favorite conference outside of the SEC, and feel this would be an excellent move. However, I think this would force the BCS to adopt an And One system, or one that allows for a four team playoff. It would also, in essence, create the opportunity to allow for 10 BCS teams allowing for another bowl game (Cotton, Capitol One).

    In the thread I started "Would This Be A BCS Conference" I had three of the schools involved who the MWC is looking to invite in: Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State. The exception is that I had the MWC dropping Wyoming and SDSU and taking Houston and Tulsa from C-USA.

    I wonder what this would do to the WAC, though. It would bring it down from a nine team conference to a six team conference.
    Last edited by diabsoule; 11-19-2009, 01:49 AM.

    Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

    Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

  • #2
    Would these schools also be moving in basketball? That could make them a strong basketball conference as well with BYU, Utah, San Diego State, Fresno State, and Nevada at the top

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
      Would these schools also be moving in basketball? That could make them a strong basketball conference as well with BYU, Utah, San Diego State, Fresno State, and Nevada at the top
      Yeah, it's an all conference movement. Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St. would be in the Mountain West. It would be an extremely competitive conference in basketball definitely; football they would have a strong top 4 (Boise St., BYU, Utah, TCU) and a competitive middle tier (Air Force, Fresno St, Nevada).

      Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

      Super Bowl XLIV Champions
      WHO DAT!

      Comment


      • #4
        I feel bad for the WAC

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
          I feel bad for the WAC
          Same. They would have to do something or else be relegated to basically an independent conference with only six teams unless Conference USA splits and UTEP and either Houston or Tulsa decides to move to the WAC; or else C-USA expands to a "super" football conference and absorbs the WAC and has an 18 team conference.

          Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

          Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
            I feel bad for the WAC
            Poor New Mexico State. :( We are so good that no one wants to play us. :)

            Comment


            • #7
              I think Hawaii would be the only one to benefit from the move because they could go independent and schedule anyone they want. They'd make a fortune from teams wanting to play home games in Hawaii

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                I think Hawaii would be the only one to benefit from the move because they could go independent and schedule anyone they want. They'd make a fortune from teams wanting to play home games in Hawaii
                That would probably be a great idea for Hawaii for the reason alone that you mentioned.

                Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

                Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                WHO DAT!

                Comment


                • #9
                  From what I recall, Hawaii has had a hard time getting OOC people to play them because it's so expensive to travel and stay in Hawaii.

                  Anyway, I would personally wait a few years before letting the MWC in the BCS, but they are well on their way.


                  Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think if they were to do this, the WAC would just shut it down or pick up a lot of the Cali Schools like Long Beach State, CSU-Irvine, CSU-Bakersfield, etc. or maybe Utah Valley or Weber State or something.
                    CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.


                    Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
                    JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wouldn't force the BCS to change anything however.


                      Follow Me on Twitter!
                      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        if those teams joined MWC, the WAC and Sun Belt should just make one conference.

                        Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Any change to the BCS would be a good change. I say, let in the MWC.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Brent View Post
                            if those teams joined MWC, the WAC and Sun Belt should just make one conference.
                            There's a couple of things that could happen if the MWC does expand to include those three teams.

                            1) The WAC sends invitations to C-USA teams UTEP, Houston, Rice, and Southern Methodist. They only need two teams to accept in order to maintain conference status with eight teams.

                            2) With the conference down to six teams, Hawaii opts to go to an Independent status, which would give them the option to schedule whoever they want hoping to cash in on schools that would like to play in Hawaii.

                            3) With only six teams, the WAC sends feelers out to gauge the interest of C-USA of bringing in the remnants of the conference. If Conference USA does accept that would bring the total number of teams up from 12 to 18, creating a "super" mid-major. The term "super" is used loosely, however, as the punch would have been taken from the WAC with the departure of Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada.
                            Problems arise with a conference that large. Geographically it would stretch from Greenville, North Carolina (East Carolina) to Honolulu, HI (Hawaii). Such geographical problems doomed the former WAC which stretched from Hawaii to Houston (Rice).

                            4) The WAC invites the Sun Belt to join them which again brings up geographical issues as the conference would then stretch from Hawaii to Troy, Alabama (Troy) and Murfreesboro, TN (MTSU).

                            Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

                            Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                            WHO DAT!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                              There's a couple of things that could happen if the MWC does expand to include those three teams.

                              1) The WAC sends invitations to C-USA teams UTEP, Houston, Rice, and Southern Methodist. They only need two teams to accept in order to maintain conference status with eight teams.

                              2) With the conference down to six teams, Hawaii opts to go to an Independent status, which would give them the option to schedule whoever they want hoping to cash in on schools that would like to play in Hawaii.

                              3) With only six teams, the WAC sends feelers out to gauge the interest of C-USA of bringing in the remnants of the conference. If Conference USA does accept that would bring the total number of teams up from 12 to 18, creating a "super" mid-major. The term "super" is used loosely, however, as the punch would have been taken from the WAC with the departure of Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada.
                              Problems arise with a conference that large. Geographically it would stretch from Greenville, North Carolina (East Carolina) to Honolulu, HI (Hawaii). Such geographical problems doomed the former WAC which stretched from Hawaii to Houston (Rice).
                              What needs to happen is the WAC needs to become a basketball only conference and let the football teams play as independents.

                              You'll have a lot of issues with C-USA teams agreeing to move to the WAC because while both are mid majors, the C-USA is on a different level in both football and basketball.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information