No announcement yet.

The 2010 Big 10 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess if they want some schools to beat up on or more schools to beat vandy and Mississippi state. I still don't understand the premise behind these power conferences. Your washington states and Indianas will still suck. How does adding a Baylor or Texas A&M make the pac 10 a better conference? The SEC will continue to dominate because of favorable year round weather and better athletes beiing made there. What does Nebraska bring to the big 10 that they were missing before they had them?
    Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
      I guess if they want some schools to beat up on or more schools to beat vandy and Mississippi state. I still don't understand the premise behind these power conferences. Your washington states and Indianas will still suck. How does adding a Baylor or Texas A&M make the pac 10 a better conference? The SEC will continue to dominate because of favorable year round weather and better athletes beiing made there.
      $$$$$$$$$$

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
        $$$$$$$$$$
        Ya i knew that but in what way. Nebraska was once a great football school but how does it help the big 10 now. Texas and Oklahoma are 2 powerhouses but after that everything is pretty average. I'm just not seeing how it would generate more interest in football making them more money. Now you'll have Texas/Oklahoma playing a USC for an automatic rosebowl bid(im assuming) then the other possibly missing out on a BCS bowl game

Comment

Ya i knew that but in what way. Nebraska was once a great football school but how does it help the big 10 now. Texas and Oklahoma are 2 powerhouses but after that everything is pretty average. I'm just not seeing how it would generate more interest in football making them more money. Now you'll have Texas/Oklahoma playing a USC for an automatic rosebowl bid(im assuming) then the other possibly missing out on a BCS bowl game
          Nebraska is on its way back up in a big way and that helps the Big Ten in a big way. Bo Pelini is a good coach and an Ohio guy, so this should help him with recruiting. Nebraska and Missouri also have more in common with the Big Ten than they do with the Big XII and there are a lot of people who would have rather had Nebraska as opposed to Penn State.

The BTN has been an enormous success and each Big Ten school gets $22 million annually just in TV revenue. Nebraska and Missouri were tired of getting shafted in the Big XII, and understandably so, by a set up that gave half of the money just to Texas and Oklahoma.

Ultimately, if there were 4 power conferences as some people think there will be, the NCAA could be phased out of the entire process and these power conferences would set up their own playoff system/bowl games, schedules, and not have to give any money out to the NCAA.

Comment

How would raping the Big 12 make the SEC worry? They have won the last 4 BCS titles they do not have anything to worry about.
            b/c they hang their hat on being the premier college football conference. If there's a conference that has USC, Texas, and Oklahoma to go with a bunch of good schools like Oregon, Texas AM, California, etc. then the SEC can kiss being the top conference good bye.

The SEC has all that talent in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama to choose from...the PAC Ten will have monopolies on California and Texas if they realign, meaning the top 2 NFL talent producing states in the country will send all their top recruits to one conference almost exclusively.

As far as the Big Ten goes they'd basically benefit from gaining all of Notre Dame's viewers and become the richest conference in terms of TV revenue even more firmly. If Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska ever come back from the dead then the new Big Ten could easily become the best conference as well considering they'd have a revitalized ND, UM, and Nebraska to go with Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
              b/c they hang their hat on being the premier college football conference. If there's a conference that has USC, Texas, and Oklahoma to go with a bunch of good schools like Oregon, Texas AM, California, etc. then the SEC can kiss being the top conference good bye.

The SEC has all that talent in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama to choose from...the PAC Ten will have monopolies on California and Texas if they realign, meaning the top 2 NFL talent producing states in the country will send all their top recruits to one conference almost exclusively.

As far as the Big Ten goes they'd basically benefit from gaining all of Notre Dame's viewers and become the richest conference in terms of TV revenue even more firmly. If Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska ever come back from the dead then the new Big Ten could easily become the best conference as well considering they'd have a revitalized ND, UM, and Nebraska to go with Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
              Unless of course the SEC goes out and grabs Florida State and Miami, in which case I'll still take the SEC by a wide margin

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post

Only one team can win the conference. USC(if kiffen doesnt mess it up) Oklahoma, and Texas will still beat up on all those other teams. Then it is a fight for the rest of them. I dont see how it helps Texas having more competition in a conference. Wouldnt they be better off beating up the big 12 and getting their BCS berth that way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  Well, he's officially been released, so there's that.

Posted this in the Dorsey thread as well, but:

Basically, the rumor is that Rod was promised by someone in admissions or the AD that as long as Dorsey reached NCAA minimum levels, he'd be accepted. Dorsey then signed his LOI etc. Then admissions put the stop sign up because while he had reached the NCAA level he didn't meet "Michigan" standards. This would explain why Rod would be so furious. On the other hand, if Dorsey doesn't end up at another D-1 program, he obviously wasn't qualified at all.

I will say though, if Dorsey does end up at another D-1 school, ie. FSU, I'll be mighty pissed off, as it will be a clear example of Michigan hamstringing itself and missing on a potential star because of some perceived higher standard at Michigan. There's already an example of it with '09 recruit Adrian Witty, as he was denied by Michigan admissions but ended up at Cincinnati. It's the reason why Notre Dame, and unfortunately for myself and other Michigan fans, Michigan, are becoming less and less relevant in college football every year and have to rely on their "tradition."
                  Last edited by ironman4579; 06-09-2010, 11:03 PM.

Originally posted by Jakey
                  WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

• Don't hold me to this but a lot of Rutgers people that usually are in "the know" are saying Rutgers is in also and could be announced as soon as Friday. The other schools joining might be Notre Dame, Maryland, and Syracuse. Again this is a rumor but seems to have a lot of steam.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• This is great if Nebraska moves to the Big Ten. Perfect fit, have a natural rival with Iowa already because of the distance. Should be an awesome fit, hope they can get Kansas as well for basketball purposes.

Really Nebraska I would rather have than Rutgers or Syracuse any day.

Comment

• I like adding Nebraska. Rutgers would be good for tv money, but I don't think much else.

I want Notre Dame in the Big Ten bad. Those 3 and Kansas and Missouri would be nice to have.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                          I like adding Nebraska. Rutgers would be good for tv money, but I don't think much else.

I want Notre Dame in the Big Ten bad. Those 3 and Kansas and Missouri would be nice to have.
                          Meh to Kansas... as much as I like the hire of Turner Gill for that program, I don't think he's going to be there that long and I'm not sure how long that football program can sustain its success. Yea, it's a great basketball school, but I guess I just don't care. I want every team added in this process to add something to the quality of Big Ten football... and I still wouldn't rule out Maryland if they go after Rutgers, though Maryland is a pure TV play as their football program is mediocre as well.

If they can get Notre Dame, and this whole Texas deal helps that, just add Notre Dame and Missouri and call it a day at 14. And if there's any validity to the Texas/Texas A&M package, they'd make 15 and 16, although I don't buy it. Rutgers would be a nice 15th team if 16 is a must, but I'm not thrilled with any of the options to be the 16th team.

Comment

• I want Kansas for basketball. I really wanna see Big Ten basketball improve with this expansion. Adding a team like Kansas to the mix would make it a little more interesting.

Not a very good pickup for football, but Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Missouri all add some nice programs there.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

I want Kansas for basketball. I really wanna see Big Ten basketball improve with this expansion. Adding a team like Kansas to the mix would make it a little more interesting.

Not a very good pickup for football, but Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Missouri all add some nice programs there.
                              Kansas would be a steal for any conference IMO.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

I want Kansas for basketball. I really wanna see Big Ten basketball improve with this expansion. Adding a team like Kansas to the mix would make it a little more interesting.

It's probably the best remaining option and then being a top basketball program is definitely not a bad thing... I just hope their football program continues to be competitive. They have put more money into it, added seats and boxes to the stadium, so hopefully it's going to be a continuing commitment.

I really like Turner Gill though... I think he's a great hire

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information