No announcement yet.

The 2010 Big 10 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are a lot of rumors, but all of them are false.

Let's be real here:

Texas Tech, a school that hired Bobby Knight, fired Mike Leach. But Minnesota is going to hire him?

The four names I listed are probably the four guys they are going to focus on. My guess is that Troy Calhoun and Al Golden are the guys they'll go after first. If they both turn them down they'll go to McCarney and the Ole Miss o-coordinator. I hope so anyway, McCarney shouldn't be higher than 3rd on that list.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• WHAt ABOUT TONY DUNGY zOMG

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• If Tony Dungy didn't have a reputation to defend I think he'd actually consider it.

But it's just way too damn risky. The only way he takes that job and succeeds is if they go to a Rose Bowl. Everything else would be considered a failure.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
          If Tony Dungy didn't have a reputation to defend I think he'd actually consider it.

But it's just way too damn risky. The only way he takes that job and succeeds is if they go to a Rose Bowl. Everything else would be considered a failure.
          I dunno, he could write some more books if he succeeds.
          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Considering the team he would inherit, I would say he'd need at least 2-3 years to have any considerable success. Is Marquise Grey pretty much going to be the starting QB next year, or is he stuck at WR?

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• It probably depends a lot on the offensive system they put in place.

If it's the spread, he's definitely the quarterback without question.

Otherwise here's the problem you're faced with:

-You know he's a good receiver. You don't know if he's a good quarterback. But quarterback is obviously a much more important position.
              -Some of it also depends on Moses Alipate, but Marquis wants to play quarterback.

About time we talk about something other than Michigan and Iowa around here. :)

Comment

• They can't get any bigger names than the ones you listed? I'd like to think Maturi would get a more established name after he took a relative no name in Brewster during the last hiring.
                "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• What big names would you have in mind?

I think they would look at Mark Richt if Georgia fired him, but I don't think they do.

-Troy Calhoun would be a hell of a hire, actually. Tennessee sniffed around in the wake of Kiffen-gate and he turned them down (although I think he turned them down knowing they probably wouldn't offer). He's got Air Force in the top 25 this year. ******* Air Force.

-Al Golden has been mentioned by some as a possible replacement at Penn State. He'll be coaching in the Big Ten or ACC in the next few years. Ask a Temple fan how much they love Al Golden.

-McCarney would be a letdown. He had some nice years at Iowa State, but overall his record sucked and he's a retread.

-Don't know anything about Mike Markuson other than he's from Minnesota and has worked with Houston Nutt forever. I'm guessing they would interview him to interview a local guy but he'd have to bowl them over to be taken seriously.

The one advantage Minnesota will have is that there probably won't be very many big openings next year, especially if Paterno doesn't retire.

Comment

What big names would you have in mind?

I think they would look at Mark Richt if Georgia fired him, but I don't think they do.

-Troy Calhoun would be a hell of a hire, actually. Tennessee sniffed around in the wake of Kiffen-gate and he turned them down (although I think he turned them down knowing they probably wouldn't offer). He's got Air Force in the top 25 this year. ******* Air Force.

-Al Golden has been mentioned by some as a possible replacement at Penn State. He'll be coaching in the Big Ten or ACC in the next few years. Ask a Temple fan how much they love Al Golden.

-McCarney would be a letdown. He had some nice years at Iowa State, but overall his record sucked and he's a retread.

-Don't know anything about Mike Markuson other than he's from Minnesota and has worked with Houston Nutt forever. I'm guessing they would interview him to interview a local guy but he'd have to bowl them over to be taken seriously.

The one advantage Minnesota will have is that there probably won't be very many big openings next year, especially if Paterno doesn't retire.
                    Iowa State is an absolutely awful program. McCarney made them mediocre and that alone is an impressive accomplishment.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

Comment

• I don't know about any bigger names that are available right now. Just think Maturi would want to make a hire that would get the fan base a little more excited, although Tubby Smith's salary probably hinders that somewhat. What about a guy like Gus Malzahn from Auburn? Lots of Miami fans have been hyping him up in the event that Randy Shannon gets axed.

Comment

• I think Calhoun and Golden are bigger hires than Malzahn. Malzahn has no head coaching experience.

It's not about exciting the fans. The Gophers need someone who knows how to lead a team.

Comment

I think Calhoun and Golden are bigger hires than Malzahn. Malzahn has no head coaching experience.

It's not about exciting the fans. The Gophers need someone who knows how to lead a team.
                          Yeah, I wasn't calling him a big name, just a thought. Should have started a new paragraph.

Comment

• Yea, there's no reason Minnesota should be worrying about exciting the fan base. That should barely, if at all, factor into the decision. They need to focus on hiring someone that will establish a good fundamentals program, and that can, you know, actually coach.

Funny thing about sports, you don't need a personality to create excitement. Winning takes care of that. Look at Iowa.

Comment

• That's not what I think they need, it's what I think Maturi will want.

Comment

• Do you think the Gophers would consider someone like Kent Austin, the former OC at Ole Miss? I think he's the head coach at Cornell or something now. He doesn't have much coaching experience, but he did work wonders with Mississippi's offense in '08 and '09.
                                Last edited by ironman4579; 10-16-2010, 02:14 PM.

Originally posted by Jakey
                                WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information