No announcement yet.

Tennessee to Hire Derek Dooley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh, I'm just not feeling trustworthy to this guy, even though that has a lot to do with Kiffin. Not to mention our recruiting class will probably not do as well as it was going to.

I just feel I need to reserve all judgments, good or bad, after the Fulmer and Kiffin incidents.
    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
    RIP themaninblack

Comment

Not that bad. La Tech is a growing program, Dooley seems like a good coach.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
        It's not yet a done deal yet.....Make room for Fulmah!
        If they rehire Jugbutt Fulmer, Voodoo Monkey will jump off one of those big-ass railroad bridges over the Cumberland before the weekend starts....

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
          If they rehire Jugbutt Fulmer, Voodoo Monkey will jump off one of those big-ass railroad bridges over the Cumberland before the weekend starts....

Nah.

It would be the Harpeth river. I live right next to that one.
          RIP themaninblack

Comment

Dooley is a very good coach and UT fans will love him. He brings fire, controlled intensity and coaches with guts. He's the type to go for 2 to win the game in the end instead of tying it up to go to OT. He's one of the better young coaches around and he could be a UT legend before all is said and done. This is a dream job for him... not a stepping stone like Kiffin, Gruden, or any other big name coach would've done or did do there.

Great hire.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              Dooley is a very good coach and UT fans will love him. He brings fire, controlled intensity and coaches with guts. He's the type to go for 2 to win the game in the end instead of tying it up to go to OT. He's one of the better young coaches around and he could be a UT legend before all is said and done. This is a dream job for him... not a stepping stone like Kiffin, Gruden, or any other big name coach would've done or did do there.

Great hire.
              You and me have the same sentiments on this hire. I think Dooley is a great hire and should be with the program a long time, just like Fulmer was. I saw the way he coached against LSU. The guy has a great mind for offense and if he brings in the right coordinators then Tennessee should be back competing for the SEC title in about 3-4 years.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                I meant as Athletic Director, not Head Coach! Fulmer may be a tubber, but he's a Vol through and through and has a much better presence and namepower than Mike Hamilton. Hammy is just a puppet for Haslam and the boosters.

Either way, the actual hire of Dooley isn't bad at all. It's just the process of how it occurred. Tennessee shouldn't have gone through several options at less prestigious schools to get a guy (not including Muschamp who's at a better school in Texas). I mean, Vols are Top 10 all time in wins (#9, right in front of who at #10? USC), and only Bama and Texas have been to more Bowl games. Elite facilities, dominate the state, one of the oldest members of the SEC, and annually have 100,000+ in the stands of every game. They shouldn't be getting turned down by guys at Duke and Utah.

I think a lot of Vols fans are just worried that a Mike Shula era is about to begin at Tennessee. I actually like the hire a lot.
                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Derek Dooley has resigned as the HC and AD of LA Tech.

Looks like a done deal folks!
                  Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                  Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

You would think UT could get a bigger name, and his resume doesn't look too great though I know La Tech has been improved. But who knows, the big coaches were all unknown at one point (besides Kiffen that is)

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
                      You would think UT could get a bigger name, and his resume doesn't look too great though I know La Tech has been improved. But who knows, the big coaches were all unknown at one point (besides Kiffen that is)
                      I'm believing one of the complications was whether or not the next HC would bring in their own staff. Only Gruden or Muschamp would've been able to assemble a new staff, but Tennessee wants to retain the likes of Kippy Brown, Lance Thompson, Jim Chaney, and others. Kiffin left a lot of great coaches in Tennessee.

That may've been why so many guys passed.
                      Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                      Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
                        To quote Wojechowski, Kiffin is your typical "kid who was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple."

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                          To quote Wojechowski, Kiffin is your typical "kid who was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple."
                          Truthfully, he doesn't touch the UT job on his own merit. That may sound like a Vols fan just being bitter, but we knew it when he was here. Bringing Monte Kiffin to run the DEF, and promising to assemble an allstar recruiting staff was what got Kiffin the job. Now, give him credit for following his word, but it was expected that he'd be here for a few years. Monte would retire after a couple of years, and Orgeron would move up to DC or move on to a HC position elsewhere. By the time the allstar staff started moving on to higher positions, they would've recruited Top 10 classes and built the program up. Lane was expected to stay there and grow with the school, and lead a school that SEC royalty back to prominance.

That's how he sold himself as the next HC, and it worked. The AD and boosters fell for it, the university fell for it, and the fanbase fell for it. It's just that he basically sold the exact same product to USC, bringing along Monte and Orgeron with him. Lane himself isn't enough, but when bringing in an NFL legend and one of the best RC's there is, it's hard to say no. There is a past with Kiffin and SC, but he's not Carroll and Monte will only be around so long (Vols fans expected around 5 years of Monte at best). That'd be my worry as a USC fan, since it was a worry for Vols fans. What happens when it's just Kiffin, and Monte's retired and Orgeron moves on to a promotion elsewhere?

Anyway, press conference announcing Dooley tonight at 9 PM EST! Gonna be on ESPN News! Lookin' forward to it!
                          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

as someone who has been following LA Tech the past few years (our neighbor is a huge alum/donor), this is a good hirie

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Poor guy probably won't even get a fair shot considering that AD hiring him is about to get canned and half of the fan base already hates him.
                              RIP themaninblack

Comment

Mark Schlabaugh said that Dooley was the one coach that Alabama was worried Tennessee would hire. They think he has the ability to recruit throughout the SEC areas.
                                Drink apple juice, cause OJ will kill you.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information