Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 teams to make the jump to a BCS conference.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Boise State doesn't even have a baseball team. That really hurts their move to the MWC.

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      Yeah Boise State doesn't even have a baseball team. That really hurts their move to the MWC.
      True, true, true.

But seeing the best team in the country being unable to be in the national title game hurts.

Comment

I have to say this is a pretty fantastic list. FIU isnt a bad school but they're not up to par with some of those listed.

Isn't UMass supposed to be a pretty good research institute?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
          Making the jump to FBS or to a BCS conference? There are a few schools in the CAA that I could see making the jump, but I doubt as high as to the Big East or the ACC.
          I suppose FBS in general, though that is kinda off-topic.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

I've always been surprised TCU isn't in the Big 12. By their reputation, history (yes, they actually have a history beyond the 1990's) and academics, they would fit the bill as a mid-tier Big 12 school at the very least. They would certainly be better than Baylor.
            Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

Originally posted by gstock05 View Post
              I've always been surprised TCU isn't in the Big 12. By their reputation, history (yes, they actually have a history beyond the 1990's) and academics, they would fit the bill as a mid-tier Big 12 school at the very least. They would certainly be better than Baylor.
              I don't think the rest of their sports would match up with the Big 12 tho. Baylor is always good at basketball.

Comment

I don't think the rest of their sports would match up with the Big 12 tho. Baylor is always good at basketball.
                I'm always of the opinion that football rules the world, especially when it comes to college athletics and money. I think the thing that hurts TCU the most is it's another Texas school. If it was in ANY other state, it would be a slam dunk. I still think it's destined for the Big XII, but they'd like to expand their reach a little farther than Fort Worth

Comment

I dunno. I think Texas teams playing Texas teams in conference would maximize ticket sales.

Comment

TCU is hurt by the fact that it's a private, Christian, school (ditto Baylor).Texas is certainly large enough (and growing) to support 5 BCS schools.

Let's stretch that argument out a bit more. Add up the populations of Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Kentucky. That's still less than the amount of people who live in Texas. So we're looking at 10 BCS schools in those 6 states, versus 4 in Texas. Still think they can't add one or two more?

Generally, if a conference is going to want a smaller private school, it's going to be because it excels at academics (Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford) because the alumni presence is never going to be there to sell tickets.
                    Last edited by bearsfan_51; 05-31-2010, 02:56 PM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I dunno. I think Texas teams playing Texas teams in conference would maximize ticket sales.
                      Consider the reach of any other BCS Conference. The PAC 10 has the entire Pacific Coast line and is looking to move east. The Big Ten currently stretches from Iowa to Pennsylvania and will be likely be moving west into Nebraska and east into New Jersey. The ACC stretches from Massachussetts to Florida. The Big East has Ohio, Florida, and at least for the moment, New Jersey. The SEC goes from Kentucky to Arkansas to Florida.

The Big XII has Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Iowa... other than the fact that Texas is an enormous state, the Big XII's reach is relatively small and while adding another power within Texas wouldn't be a bad thing, they'd certainly like to stretch their aura of influence, which is why Arkansas has come up in conversations. I don't disagree at all that the Big XII can support another BCS school within the state, but how much does it do for TV audiences, recruiting, or recognition? Not much. And generally, Texas can support 2 good football programs at a time. Right now, it's Texas and TCU.

Comment

Stanford has never been in a slouch in basketball either though.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                          The PAC 10 has the entire Pacific Coast line and is looking to move east.
                          The Pac 10 covers four states, the Big 12 covers seven.

Comment

I just don't know. If California can support 3 BCS schools in one conference, then I'm sure Texas can support 4.

Comment

California already has 4, so does Texas.
                              Last edited by bearsfan_51; 11-30-2010, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                                The Pac 10 covers four states, the Big 12 covers seven.
                                Population and having an entire coast line is a little more important

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information