Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Texas doesn't want to go to 12 teams. I think they'd much rather stick with 10 and eliminate the double jeopardy of a Championship game and since Texas has gotten everything it wants so far and then some, no reason to think it won't get this as well

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
      Then again if we want to go the route of the Big 10, keep 10 teams, with no conference championship I'm fine with that too. It's not like that game has ever helped anyone catapult in the standings to a NC game(from what I remember), it's only had chances of hurting teams. I still have nightmares from the game ******* Chris Simms blew a prime chance at a NC game vs the Buffs. So yea, nobody would be upset to see that go.
      Did you really need to see him implode in the National Championship? No ******* way he was gonna lead them to a win.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
        I think Texas doesn't want to go to 12 teams. I think they'd much rather stick with 10 and eliminate the double jeopardy of a Championship game and since Texas has gotten everything it wants so far and then some, no reason to think it won't get this as well
        With the amount of money involved in the Big XII ChampionshiP? No way.

As to all those that are saying that The Big XII plays with 10, I say that they are serving up deniability, if needed. I expect TCU to get an invite, and possibly Air Force or BYU. Then the ranks would be

South:
        UT
        A&M
        TT
        Baylor
        OU
        TCU

North:
        KU
        KSU
        ISU
        Mizzou
        OSU
        USAFA or BYU

Oklahoma State gets stuck in the north to preserve the State Fair game.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          and possibly Air Force or BYU
          AFA does not command the following they needed to be a sustainable member of the Big XII.

I really dont think they Big XII expands for the foreseeable future. In the end, UT got what they wanted and the rest of the league laid down for them. It's pretty upsetting to me. **** Bill Byrne.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            AFA does not command the following they needed to be a sustainable member of the Big XII.

I really dont think they Big XII expands for the foreseeable future. In the end, UT got what they wanted and the rest of the league laid down for them. It's pretty upsetting to me. **** Bill Byrne.
            I do expect them to offer for TCU.

As to the rest, I cannot argue with that.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera

Comment

• So, Utes to Pac-10 is a done deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                So, Utes to Pac-10 is a done deal?
                why would they turn down that invite?

Comment

why would they turn down that invite?
                  I know they wouldn't be crazy enough to decline, but I'm asking if this is official.

Comment

• Yes, Utah to the Pac10 is official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5298238

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                    WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                      TCU and Houston would be two great choices for the Big XII and I think the best choice for the future of the Big XII to survive as a conference is to expand back to 12 teams.

If those two schools are added you could do a Texas vs. The North alignment.

Texas
                      Baylor
                      Houston
                      Texas
                      Texas A&M
                      TCU
                      Texas Tech

North
                      Iowa State
                      Kansas
                      Kansas State
                      Missouri
                      Oklahoma
                      Oklahoma State

I would really really like this idea, I've never seen it broken down that way, probably won't happen but I'd be very much in favor of this. Would get to see some epic Big XII championship matches, and TCU & Houston have been getting better and better as of recent. Going to a bigger conference would help their recruiting out.

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      What? He didn't "blow" that game, UT got beat. When UT is giving up 39 points, they arent going to win a lot of games.

I look at 2003, when K-State beat OU to a pulp, and can't help but think that the championship game is awesome. Of course someone like Mac Brown says that it's unfortunate to see a team headed to the NC and then not get it because of their performance in the Big XII championship, because he's been a victim of that twice.

Lol, did you watch or remember that game? Simms played like a tool, there was a reason Major Applewhite had to come in and relief him, and there was a reason that once that happened we started putting together a fierce comeback. Alot of those points were a direct result of Simms incompetence, it was a pathetic performance if I've ever seen one. Of course it wasn't an elite defense that could keep us in games, but Simms was giving up TD's and giving them the ball in their territory the entire time he was in the game.

Now as far as the game screwing people over, yea it's happened to Texas more obviously so of course Mack feels that way, can't blame him. My point is that, how often has the Big XII championship catapulted a Big XII team into the NC game when they were on the outside looking in before? I know it's happened in the SEC and such, but I don't remember too many instances in this conference, if they are out there I'd truly love to know, not to say it's never happened I just don't remember it.

So yea, I can see why there fun to have due to upsets, but the big schools who run conferences would always vote to not have them, and smaller underdog schools would always want them, that's no secret.

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                      Did you really need to see him implode in the National Championship? No ******* way he was gonna lead them to a win.

True, but I would of had more pride about an ass whooping in the NC, losing to the ******* Buffs hurt like no other.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        I would really really like this idea, I've never seen it broken down that way, probably won't happen but I'd be very much in favor of this. Would get to see some epic Big XII championship matches, and TCU & Houston have been getting better and better as of recent. Going to a bigger conference would help their recruiting out.
                        I don't like the idea of not having OU and UT in the same division unless you guarantee that OU will play UT every year as a conference game.

Baylor-TCU would be a nice, new rivalry. I think TAMU-Houston would develop into one, purely based on geography.

Comment

• How the Aggies Saved the Big 12

I thought this warranted its own thread, but it's p/o Conference Expansion (or not).

From the Thursday Ft. Worth Star Telegram:

By JENNIFER FLOYD ENGEL

jenfloyd@star-telegram.com

Forget vuvuzelas. The single most annoying whine in need of silencing in sports at this moment is this "Dan Beebe saved the Big 12" nonsense being buzzed about by the clueless.

Beebe saved the Big 12, kind of like Jordan Farmar paces the Lakers or Larry Mullen Jr. is indispensable to U2.

Which is to say: Not at all.

What Beebe did particularly well, with his conference gasping for a last breath, was be smart enough to stand back as the grownups figured out how to save the conference, and his job.

So how exactly did Big 12 go from DOA to alive and well?

The life raft came from College Station, and it is only polite to extend a big ol' thank you to your friends from Texas A&M.

So why am I not hearing barely a word about them, except them nastily sniping at one another? Because everybody is focused on Texas.

It is easy to understand why Aggies have a little bit of a complex after this latest chapter of Texas football politics. They do all of the heavy lifting, and Longhorn Nation basks in every ounce of credit and/or blame, depending on who is judging.

Let's be clear: Longhorn Nation did nothing wrong.

Is it bullying to see a clearly inferior Nebraska and all 14 of its TV sets about to land a huge Big Ten pay increase and think, "Hey, why not us?" And isn't it just good business to use your power to negotiate a superior deal for yourself?

No shame, Texas. No shame.

Just no credit for Big 12 saving. That belongs to the anti-Bevos.

How the Aggies saved the Big 12 was by growing a backbone. When big-timers at A&M decided they were done following in lockstep with Bevo and Co., they slowed to a crawl what had been a Sherman-like march to the Pacific. Delay caused by the Aggies allowed for TV entities and ADs from schools with no rooting interest and politicians and big-time business types, all uninterested in mega-conferences for personal-gain reasons, to swoop in and build consensus and save the Big 12 from itself.

And make no mistake, during this downtime, Texas had second thoughts.

Pac-16 money claims were fuzzy.

Travel headaches were obvious.

Horns were definitely being sized for the 'Horns.

And by Monday, Texas had a whole lot of reasons to stay in the Big 12. About the only team with a good reason to bolt was Texas A&M.

The dollar math is not fuzzy in the SEC, and you could feel the sentiment building, among old Ags and young: "Let's break free from Texas." A perfect chance existed, a chance to finally and wholly get out of Bevo's shadow and to be in a killer conference.

And in this moment, they did what Aggies pride themselves on. They kept their word. They did not run.

Both SEC-ede and Pac-16 sides of the Aggies' house divided had been saying their goal was to save the Big 12, and they backed it up by doing just that and, thus, everybody stayed. Because if A&M had gone SEC, then Texas and Oklahoma and Tech and Oklahoma State were going Pac-16, fuzzy math or not.

And Kansas and Kansas State and Missouri were destined for the Mountain West while Baylor did penance for 15 years ago.

TCU denials aside -- and really what was the Frogs' AD supposed to say on record, "Heck, yeah, we are sticking it to them"? -- Frogs fans and administrators had been waiting 15 long years to watch the Karma Train finally pull into Baylor's station. And rightfully so. Does anybody believe Baylor is right now lobbying for TCU inclusion in a mathematically correct Big 12?

Yes, football conference politics can be ugly. And selfish. And money driven. And mean.

And that is why I respect what the Aggies did. They said salvaging the Big 12 was their priority, and they showed that their word is not simply words.

Those Aggie jerks.

I seem to have garnered a following in Nebraska, or what some might call an angry mob. Glad to have them. Love them, really, although, they do not seem fluent in sarcasm, so let me explain. That line about jerks was sarcastic.

Honestly, I do not understand why the Aggies have turned on themselves for:

(a) keeping their word;

(b) staying in a conference where they have a better chance of winning;

(c) honoring tradition by maintaining the rivalry with Texas (and that was going away if A&M went SEC);

(d) being the savior of the Big 12.

Yet my inbox has been filled by Aggies angry at Aggies. And my inbox apparently has nothing on A&M AD Bill Byrne's in terms of venom level.

He, BTW, has become my hero.

Floating around on the Google machine is a voice mail left by Byrne to one of those angry e-mailers who suggested Byrne had his tongue in an awkward place on DeLoss Dodds' anatomy.

"I'd like to talk to you in person," Byrne is heard saying. "Someone who has no guts to write something like that needs to have his [butt] kicked."

Apparently Byrne was the man to tap to handle dealings with Nebraska a year or so ago. Not that losing Nebraska and that other school that left is a bad thing. It is not. It is an opportunity.

Even as Beebe swears the Big 12 is staying at 10, talk of adding Arkansas has gained traction. And I am guessing Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has a hand in this. I am claiming no inside sources, only going off years of covering the man. He always has a plan when he wants something.

And he wants a Big 12 title game at JerryWorld.

And he'd love to have Arkansas back in the Big 12.

And he loved to play matchmaker.

So all he needs is another team to join Arkansas. And from a guy who brought us The T.O. Show and billion-dollar JerryWorld and the Pacquiao fight, you know he tends to go large. A name I have heard thrown around is Notre Dame.

How big is the Big 12 then?

Just remember to thank your friendly neighborhood Aggies if it happens.

Comment

I don't like the idea of not having OU and UT in the same division unless you guarantee that OU will play UT every year as a conference game.

Baylor-TCU would be a nice, new rivalry. I think TAMU-Houston would develop into one, purely based on geography.
                            If you use the SEC model and assign a permanent rival from one division to the other then UT and OU could play each other every year in as a conference game. Just like how LSU plays Florida, Alabama plays Tennessee, and Auburn-Georgia play each other every year.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                            WHO DAT!

Comment

• So how exactly did Big 12 go from DOA to alive and well?
                              Yeah.....the Big12 may be alive for now, but it's not alive and well.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                                If you use the SEC model and assign a permanent rival from one division to the other then UT and OU could play each other every year in as a conference game. Just like how LSU plays Florida, Alabama plays Tennessee, and Auburn-Georgia play each other every year.
                                See, I don't really follow the SEC as much as I should, so I was not aware of that.

But that would be cool, using your model, I would assign the following rivals:

Baylor-Iowa State
                                Houston-Kansas State
                                Texas-Oklahoma
                                Texas A&M-Kansas
                                TCU-Mizzouri
                                Texas Tech-Oklahoma State

It's not perfect, but I'm trying. I said Kansas-TAMU because that carries over to basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information