Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas seems like a viable option for the Big 10. Makes a nice travel partner with Nebraska, member of the AAU, solid basketball/football program. Are the Jayhawks a potential candidate for the Big 10?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Halsey View Post
      Just another example of college football slowly being ruined.
      College football is more popular now than it has ever been.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
        Kansas seems like a viable option for the Big 10. Makes a nice travel partner with Nebraska, member of the AAU, solid basketball/football program. Are the Jayhawks a potential candidate for the Big 10?
        Kansas' football program is far from solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
          Kansas' football program is far from solid.
          Ok, I will change that to on par with Minny, Purdue, and Indiana.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

2) Adding Texas A&M won't necessarily expand the recruiting in Texas for the other SEC teams. You'd play one game every two years in College Station, which isn't really all that close to Dallas or Houston anyway. I can't imagine too many players that are hell bent on staying in Texas having that make much of a difference at all, especially when UT is still the big dog.

good post. however, it will really help recruiting in texas. Texas is all about the Big 12 and Big 12 football. Yes, teams will come every two years to college station. However, there will be much more exposure to SEC football in these areas from a TV standpoint, and many players will watch the SEC growing up, allowing this conference to be on an even playing field when they decide. Texas will always be king of the hill, but putting the SEC in Texas is HUGE. kids will now have to weigh more options, such as playing at prestigious Texas vs. playing in the best conference in America. Those teams that are already known in Texas in the SEC (UF, Alabama, Auburn) will be the first teams these kids look at cuz they already know about them from before, and now will get EVEN more looks cuz they will be able to turn on the television and watch them more often. I know im a bit redundant, but recruiting will drastically change imo

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

• The SEC is already all over the TV. Is there really an exposure problem there?

If a kid is interested in staying in Texas, he's going to choose one of the five (possibly now six) BCS choices he has there, not go to South Carolina just because Texas A&M is now in the SEC. It makes no sense.

If, on the other hand, a kid is interested in making it in the NFL, he likely would have been very interested in teams like Alabama and LSU either way, and would have had PLENTY of opportunities to watch them on TV with or without the SEC physically being in the state of Texas.

Comment

• Originally posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
                Ok, I will change that to on par with Minny, Purdue, and Indiana.
                All-time football records:

Minnesota- .574
                Purdue- .538
                Kansas- .505

Also, if the Big Ten had to do it over again, I'm not entirely sure they would add Purdue or Indiana. I'm biased with Minnesota, but we're the only D1 school in our state, bring a huge media market, and have a lot of solid programs. If Notre Dame ever joins the Big Ten, that would be three teams in the state of Indiana, which is absurd.

If it wasn't for the public relations hit they would take, I'm sure the Big Ten would be glad to drop either Purdue or Indiana for Notre Dame.

Comment

College football is more popular now than it has ever been.
                  There's also more humans on the planet and in this country than there's ever been, more people watching TV and more access to colllege football in general than there's ever been.

Besides, my opinion on college football being ruined doesn't have anything to do with popularity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                    Besides, my opinion on college football being ruined doesn't have anything to do with popularity.
                    Honestly, why in the world do you think anyone would care what your personal opinion about college football is? I don't personally care for fly fishing, but I don't make posts about that.

Comment

• I agree completely with you, bf51, about SEC expansion. Adding A&M doesn't bring anything to the SEC table that isn't already there except a new media market in Houston. Adding Oklahoma, even if it means adding Oklahoma State, would add more weigh to the positive category but even then how successful would OU be going against LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas every year instead of Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, etc...

An SEC schedule makes the road to the national championship harder for any team added to the SEC which one reason why Texas, OU and the rest of the Big XII are trying to make the conference work.

And about Notre Dame... I can understand why the Big Ten would want to bring them into the conference due to the prestige that university has but it really does nothing for recruiting or extending the conferences footprint. I can completely understand bringing in Missouri, Kansas, Maryland, and either Virginia, North Carolina, or Rutgers but Notre Dame doesn't offer much outside of enhancing the conferences reputation and revenue.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                      WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                        Notre Dame doesn't offer much outside of enhancing the conferences reputation and revenue.
                        That kind of answers your own question. Reputation and Revenue. Also, they are a national team, with fans all over the place. Hence the NBC contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                          That kind of answers your own question. Reputation and Revenue. Also, they are a national team, with fans all over the place. Hence the NBC contract.
                          Understand that but to have 3 teams in the same state is overkill, ya know?

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Don't kid yourself, Texas isn't interested in the SEC because academically the SEC is Vanderbilt and a bunch of glorified community colleges.

And yes, three teams in Indiana is overkill. A true cut-throat move would be to ditch Purdue, which is the weakest university on many levels in the Big Ten. Won't happen, however.

Comment

Don't kid yourself, Texas isn't interested in the SEC because academically the SEC is Vanderbilt and a bunch of glorified community colleges.

And yes, three teams in Indiana is overkill. A true cut-throat move would be to ditch Purdue, which is the weakest university on many levels in the Big Ten. Won't happen, however.
                              Something that could happen is that Texas takes a stab at being independent but eventually winds up in the Pac12 with TCU, Baylor, and BYU.

I could see that playing out if Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State go to the SEC.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• SEC has passed on A&M

Statement from Dr. Bernie Machen, Chair, Southeastern Conference Presidents and Chancellors:

“The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M.”

WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information