This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
    Honestly, why in the world do you think anyone would care what your personal opinion about college football is? I don't personally care for fly fishing, but I don't make posts about that.
    I don't care what you like and I don't care if you like my posts. Don't like it? Tough. :)

College football is being slowly ruined.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
      SEC has passed on A&M

Statement from Dr. Bernie Machen, Chair, Southeastern Conference Presidents and Chancellors:

‘«£The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M.‘«ō
      It's not over. Likely a legal move by the SEC. Something called "tortious interference". This is because A&M hasn't even applied yet. If the SEC approved before A&M even applied, that opens the SEC up to a whole legal can of worms.

You can't lead the cart before the horse.

So it might not happen, but it means little at this point, just more of an SEC CYA.

Comment

• They were talking about who could replace A&M in the Big 12 on the radio yesterday. Said BYU, Pitt, and two other schools I can't remember, I think on was Arkansas.

I live in Pittsburgh so they were focusing on the possible move for Pitt of course. Most fans seem to be against it but the money would be better for Pitt in short term, so it would probably happen. Might be scared of a potential collapse of the Big 12, but given an opportunity to get out of the worst BCS conference, probably worse than MWC this year as well, I would think Pitt would jump at the chance.

As to A&M, I havn't decided how I feel about more expansion to 16 teams. If the SEC pulls it off, its only a matter of time before the Big 10 and Pac 12 try to as well. As excited as I was to add Nebraska, and I'd love to get Notre Dame as well, the other options being mentioned for the Big Ten to add only seem to weaken the conference from a football sense. If the SEC is actually adding teams like A&M, FSU, and VT, the Big Ten can't try to respond to that by adding teams like Rutgers and Kansas and think they're even close to the same level.

I'd love to see the Big 10 get to 16, but not simply by adding any team that makes money. I'd much rather try to get some quality football programs. Notre Dame is a no brainer, I like BC as well. Outside of that theres not much. Texas would be incredible to get, especially if they come with Oklahoma.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
          They were talking about who could replace A&M in the Big 12 on the radio yesterday. Said BYU, Pitt, and two other schools I can't remember, I think on was Arkansas.

I live in Pittsburgh so they were focusing on the possible move for Pitt of course. Most fans seem to be against it but the money would be better for Pitt in short term, so it would probably happen. Might be scared of a potential collapse of the Big 12, but given an opportunity to get out of the worst BCS conference, probably worse than MWC this year as well, I would think Pitt would jump at the chance.

As to A&M, I havn't decided how I feel about more expansion to 16 teams. If the SEC pulls it off, its only a matter of time before the Big 10 and Pac 12 try to as well. As excited as I was to add Nebraska, and I'd love to get Notre Dame as well, the other options being mentioned for the Big Ten to add only seem to weaken the conference from a football sense. If the SEC is actually adding teams like A&M, FSU, and VT, the Big Ten can't try to respond to that by adding teams like Rutgers and Kansas and think they're even close to the same level.

I'd love to see the Big 10 get to 16, but not simply by adding any team that makes money. I'd much rather try to get some quality football programs. Notre Dame is a no brainer, I like BC as well. Outside of that theres not much. Texas would be incredible to get, especially if they come with Oklahoma.
          Notre Dame is at the top of the list for the Big XII. And FSU is not going to the SEC anytime soon.

Originally posted by SolidGold
          Bortlezzzzzzz
          Originally posted by Monomach
          Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin. †One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one. †Awesome. †Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks.†

Comment

• The more this plays out, the more I think there will be six 16-team conferences and then two 12 team conferences. Here is how they might work out. New teams in italics.

SEC: East- Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, West Virginia, LSU West- Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

ACC: Coastal- Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, UCF, Louisville Atlantic- Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Maryland, Boston College, USF, Syracuse

Big 10: Leaders- Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Missouri, Notre Dame Legends- Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Iowa, Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma

PAC 16: South- Arizona, Arizona State, USC, UCLA, Colorado, Utah, TCU, Texas North- Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, Boise State, BYU

MWC: East- Colorado State, Air Force, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State West- Hawaii, Fresno State, New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV, San Diego State, Nevada, Wyoming

C-USA: East- East Carolina, Marshall, Memphis, Southern Miss, UAB, Connecticut, Rutgers, Temple West- Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP Cincinnati, Toledo, Nothern Illinois, Miami (OH)

I think the Big 12 and WAC disband. The Big East disbands as a football conference but stay a conference in other sports. This lines up perfectly for a playoff. It could be 8 teams, with the winner of each conference getting a spot. Or it could be 16 teams with every conference winner getting a spot and then 8 at large bids. We get rid of the BCS, have a playoff, and every team, no matter how small, would then have a chance to win a championship.
            Last edited by jrdrylie; 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM.

Bortlezzzzzzz
            Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin. †One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one. †Awesome. †Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks.†

Comment

• The Big Ten won't add Oklahoma. They care about academics.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Rutgers in the new Conference USA with all those teams makes no sense.
                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• The Pac12 will likely not add any schools with religious affiliations: BYU, Baylor, TCU all likely won't be considered.

West Virginia could be in play for the SEC but I see Florida State higher on the expansion list than West Virginia. I see Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, and Missouri as the top 3 with even North Carolina being ahead of WVU. Oklahoma State is likely not in consideration. They don't offer much in terms of tv markets and revenue.

Oklahoma will follow Texas. If Texas goes to the Pac12 then Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will follow them.

If Notre Dame is invited to the Big Ten, and they accept, I see Boston College going with them. Adds the Boston market, which the Big Ten wants, plus maintains the ND/BC rivalry which was renewed for the past 10 years. Helps with scheduling and it could be incentive for ND to join. Syracuse, Rutgers, Missouri then UConn likely top the Big Ten expansion lists due to media markets and academics. Media and academics are what drives the Big Ten.

Maryland would also be in consideration but they take their ACC affiliation more seriously than most because of their rivalries with the North Carolina schools.

Way I see conference expansion is this:

Missouri, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Florida State to SEC

Syracuse, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Boston College to the Big Ten

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech to the Pac12

Remaining ACC/Big East schools merge:

Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Maryland, Pitt, West Virginia, UConn, Louisville, West Virginia, USF, Cincinnati

Those are 16 schools for that with TCU being left out. Only way Big East survives is if they invite Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa St, Baylor to get back to twelve (including TCU). ACC would be left with 9 schools in that case.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                  WHO DAT!

Comment

• I've always been a fan of Pitt to the Big Ten. Probably just cause I'm from Pittsburgh, but I think it's a good fit. Pitts a great academic school, great basketball program, and I think could recover as a football program with a jump to the Big Ten.

Comment

• Big Ten doesn't need Pitt. They already have western Pitt with Penn State and Ohio State.

If they add anyone from the Big East, and I don't think they will, it will be Syracuse and/or Rutgers.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Reason I have Syracuse and Rutgers is because of the media markets they cater to with Rutgers in the NJ/NYC market and Syracuse also bringing in the NY market. Double down on the state to obtain the media. Of course, if Virginia Tech leaves for the SEC then Virginia could seek affiliation with the Big Ten which would help the conference pull in the DC market.

If the Big Ten wants to maintain an increased level of competition, like they did when they added Nebraska, then Syracuse and Virginia would take precedence over Rutgers. Looking at conference win/loss percentages going back to 1991 for Syracuse (when the Big East began operating as a football conference) and the same year for Virginia (year ACC became a 10 team football conference) the Orange have a winning percentage of .511% while the Cavaliers have a winning percentage of .557%.

Rutgers, on the other hands, has a winning percentage of .290%, which would be a second lowest winning percentage in the Big Ten, only in front of Indiana whose winning percentage is .236%. All depends on how confident Jim Delaney and the Big Ten front offices are in Rutgers providing the NYC market.
                        Last edited by diabsoule; 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                        WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                          Rutgers in the new Conference USA with all those teams makes no sense.
                          If there are 4 super conferences, that is 64 teams. Right now, there are 66 BCS teams, so that means two are going to get screwed. TCU, Boise State, and UCF will likely get invites, which means at least five teams will get screwed, with Rutgers being one of them.

Bortlezzzzzzz

Comment

• Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                            If there are 4 super conferences, that is 64 teams. Right now, there are 66 BCS teams, so that means two are going to get screwed. TCU, Boise State, and UCF will likely get invites, which means at least five teams will get screwed, with Rutgers being one of them.
                            We are so much better academically and have a much bigger athletic budget than all those other schools. It just doesn't make sense.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                              Big Ten doesn't need Pitt. They already have western Pitt with Penn State and Ohio State.

If they add anyone from the Big East, and I don't think they will, it will be Syracuse and/or Rutgers.
                              I understand the whole it brings nothing tv and money wise, which is of course the driving force, just somethign I'd love to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                                Reason I have Syracuse and Rutgers is because of the media markets they cater to with Rutgers in the NJ/NYC market and Syracuse also bringing in the NY market. Double down on the state to obtain the media. Of course, if Virginia Tech leaves for the SEC then Virginia could seek affiliation with the Big Ten which would help the conference pull in the DC market.

If the Big Ten wants to maintain an increased level of competition, like they did when they added Nebraska, then Syracuse and Virginia would take precedence over Rutgers. Looking at conference win/loss percentages going back to 1991 for Syracuse (when the Big East began operating as a football conference) and the same year for Virginia (year ACC became a 10 team football conference) the Orange have a winning percentage of .511% while the Cavaliers have a winning percentage of .557%.

Rutgers, on the other hands, has a winning percentage of .290%, which would be a second lowest winning percentage in the Big Ten, only in front of Indiana whose winning percentage is .236%. All depends on how confident Jim Delaney and the Big Ten front offices are in Rutgers providing the NYC market.
                                Thats my problem with addin Rutgers. I'm much more worried about the Big Ten adding quality teams than the money they make. But of course, theyre biggest motivation is the money and exposure.

I see Rutgers getting invited at some point, hopefully they'll use the jump to improve the programs and compete. Big Ten doesn't need any more bottom feeders.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information