Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't see North Carolina leaving the ACC. Don't think they'll be quite so fond of the academic profile the SEC offers and they're primarily focuses on basketball anyway. ACC is and the Duke pairing is a better spot for them with those two things in mind.

I could see NC State wanting to go, but even that's a little bit unlikely.

West Virginia would accept the invitation without much hesitation, no incentive for them to stay in the Big East if they get that kind of offer.

Virginia Tech is the wild card here. I could see them going either way on this. They've said publicly that they want to stay in the ACC...but I could see them changing their minds.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• as a MIZ-ZOU fan, its crazy that we are discussing this AGAIN! 1 year ago, MU was leaving the Big XII and then everything ended up ok. now, after this last defection (thanx A&M. i always hated the Aggies. always had a big inferiority complex with Texas that i never understood), i want MU to get the hell out of the Big XII before it crumbles to pieces. its going down like the Titanic and i hope MU gets the hell off before it goes under. SEC, PAC 16, Big 10, hell i don't care. all of them sound better than trying to form a new conference (Sunflower Conference) with KU, K State and Iowa St. i can guarantee that conference wouldn't get an automatic BSC bid!

Comment

• Definitely think WVU would jump at the SEC.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see what the B1G does with all of this talk and turbulence.

1) Sit back and do nothing.
          2) Sit back, wait to see the dust settle, and add some teams that are left in whatever conferences are decimated.
          3) Be proactive and add some teams before the dust settles.

I prefer #3, then #2. You don't want to be caught with your dick in your hand when everyone else already has a date to the prom.

It will be interesting to see what happens and if the 4 super conferences emerge from this craziness.

Comment

• I really like the Big 10 at 12 unless they get good quality programs. I want Notre Dame in the B1G badly. Other than that I can live without anyone. We got enough for a title game, more just makes us play everyone less.

And of course WVU would jump at the chance to join the SEC. There's no team that wouldn't jump at the chance to ditch the Big East.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Just looking at the Big Ten, the only school(s) I can conceivably see them taking from the crumbling Big XII are Missouri and Kansas. However, taking the Big Ten network into affect to reach into households, then adding Notre Dame, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Boston College would give them exactly what they're looking for while adding prestigious academic universities. Notre Dame ranked 19th, Boston College ranked 31st, Syracuse 55th, and Rutgers 64th nationally based on academics from US News.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

• Definitely the type of schools the Big Ten looks for academically, and the make sense for viewership. With two divisions of 8 you'd play 7 games in your division and play the teams in the other division every 4 years, and thats taking 9 conference games into account.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                  Definitely the type of schools the Big Ten looks for academically, and the make sense for viewership. With two divisions of 8 you'd play 7 games in your division and play the teams in the other division every 4 years, and thats taking 9 conference games into account.
                  I think it would be set up as playing the 7 teams in your division, then one permanent crossover game then one rotating game. 9 conference games unless the conference goes to a 10 conference games format and only allow 2 OOC games.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                  WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                    I think it would be set up as playing the 7 teams in your division, then one permanent crossover game then one rotating game. 9 conference games unless the conference goes to a 10 conference games format and only allow 2 OOC games.
                    Honestly, I think that sounds terrible. I like the 12 team set up a lot. By that you'd play teams in your conference once every 7 years. And switching to 10 conference games would kill ooc play cause teams would still try to get their two easy games in instead of quality ooc games.

Comment

• This is from the poster on the NW board that was leaking expansion info last year. He pretty much nailed the nebraska stuff and then the b1g made him stop posting on the subject. Take it with a large grain of salt but his info has been good in the past.

Link

Earlier this evening, Notre Dame and Texas jointly presented the Big Ten Conference with their proposed terms of entry into the conference. These terms resulted from lengthy discussions among both schools and the Big Ten over the past several months.

The major items include:
                      1. The preservation of an eight game (plus championship) conference football schedule. Both ND and Texas wish to preserve rivalries with non-Big Ten universities on a regular basis. This would require the Big Ten to abandon its current plans of a 9 game conference schedule.
                      2. The staggering of the schedule to allow for mid-season scheduling with non-conference football opponents.
                      3. The preservation of the status quo conference makeup until approximately 2014, unless the Big XII fails to retain key (NOT including A&M) conference members. This will provide the member schools, acting in unison, with the greatest leverage negotiating ongoing television contracts, particularly with ESPN.
                      4. Should Texas depart the conference for the Big Ten before ND due to the further disintegration of the Big XII, ND will remain independent until approximately 2014
                      5. The Longhorn Network would remain independent until approximately 2014, at which point the network would become a part of an expanded Big Ten Network (specifically referred to as "BTN2"), likely either in partnership with Fox, NBC, or less likely ABC

The Big Ten just wrapped up a meeting to initially consider all of the terms presented by the schools, including the aforementioned.

The initial mood at the Big Ten to the terms provided by the two schools is "receptive."

Comment

• A new post from PBC on the above link. If true, EFF ESPN even more. I hate them.

ESPN attorneys have already contacted the Big Ten regarding the content of this post. Again, I am in no way affiliated with the Big Ten conference nor should anything I write be considered credible in any context.

However, ESPN has unfairly used its bully pulpit to influence Texas stakeholders to prefer the PAC. The Big Ten feels that if the current trend of reporting that Texas only has interest in the PAC 12 continues, this would merit a major legal action against ESPN.

Comment

• ESPN hates the Big Ten. Everyone knows that.

But how awesome would it be to add Texas and Notre Dame to the Big Ten? Two more great schools with awesome football and academics and incredible fan bases and traditions.

I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                            ESPN hates the Big Ten. Everyone knows that.

But how awesome would it be to add Texas and Notre Dame to the Big Ten? Two more great schools with awesome football and academics and incredible fan bases and traditions.

I love it.
                            They'd have 4 of the top 5 winningest programs of all time (from a % standpoint) along with 6 of the top 10. That would be sweet.

Doubt if it happens. ESPN would spend tens of millions in short term losses to keep UT from the B1G. They do not want to see the Big Ten Network succeed at a national level. ND and UT would give the BTN that ammo.

Pretty nasty stuff when the media is directly involved in manipulating conference affiliations. ESPN is evil.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                              They'd have 4 of the top 5 winningest programs of all time (from a % standpoint) along with 6 of the top 10. That would be sweet.

Doubt if it happens. ESPN would spend tens of millions in short term losses to keep UT from the B1G. They do not want to see the Big Ten Network succeed at a national level. ND and UT would give the BTN that ammo.

Pretty nasty stuff when the media is directly involved in manipulating conference affiliations. ESPN is evil.
                              Fox Sports, owned by Rupert Murdoch, isn't exactly the Red Cross either.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Lets not act like ones better than the other. They both have the same goals, get as rich as possible. Just like every other business.

If Texas and Notre Dams decide to pull this off, ESPN can't stop them anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information