Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How huge would it be if Jim Delaney came out from behind the curtain and invited Missouri, Notre Dame, UConn, and Rutgers to the Big Ten?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

• I'm sick of the waiting. I wish someone would just invite us already or I know we're going down on the sinking ship which is known as the Big East. I can't deal with this for another year or two.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I feel like WVU could end up a big victim of this and not get invited anywhere. They'd obviously take any invite they get, I'm just not sure theyll get one at this point.

Routers has to end up in the ACC or Big Ten I would think. Lots of money involved. I think the ACC is a better fit for them, I like the Big Ten at 12 unless it's someone like Notre Dame were talking about.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
          I feel like WVU could end up a big victim of this and not get invited anywhere. They'd obviously take any invite they get, I'm just not sure theyll get one at this point.

Routers has to end up in the ACC or Big Ten I would think. Lots of money involved. I think the ACC is a better fit for them, I like the Big Ten at 12 unless it's someone like Notre Dame were talking about.
          And really, that would be the catalyst to expansion for the Big Ten. If Notre Dame feels they couldn't find a relevant home for their non-football sports then they might be forced to choose conference affiliation for all sports. The A10 or Big East basketball only without UConn, Pitt, and Syracuse is a far lesser product than with them.

If Notre Dame does decide to join the Big Ten soon, then the time would be ripe to offer Missouri, UConn, and Rutgers to become the first 16 team conference. If that happens, the Big Ten would win conference realignment by inviting those four teams along with Nebraska. They would have added 3 AAU institutions before Nebraska lost their AAU status, brought in two programs with national appeal (Nebraska, Notre Dame), brought in the St. Louis, Kansas City, New York/New Jersey television markets and expanding their overall appeal. The tv contract they could renegotiate would be enormous.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• I wouldn't be excited about getting UConn or Rutgers, but I'll take anyone if it means getting Notre Dame. They're the prize.

Comment

• Missouri and Rutgers have been openly pining to join the Big Ten, and Delaney has repeatedly said they aren't going to do anything.

That should tell you all you need to know.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                but the anonymous sourcezzzzz!!!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I mean, think about it this way. So far:

-the SEC added A&M, which is a good program, but now they're forced to consider a bunch of lesser options to get to 14. Time will tell if it was worth it, but a lot of SEC fans aren't happy.

-the ACC added Syracuse and Pittsburgh, two mediocre teams in dying markets. So...that's nice? I still honestly have no idea what they were thinking. I guess they wanted to get Pittsburgh before the Big 12 did, but geez, why?

-the Big 12 -3+1 added TCU. A great football program in the last decade, but it adds nothing to their footprint at all. Texas and Oklahoma already had Ft.Worth quite nicely. It was a desperation move, and as a desperation move, it made sense, but the Big 12 -3+1 is still just Texas, Oklahoma, and everyone else.

-now the Big East is trying to add Navy and Air Force, who aren't sure if they are interested, which is both hilarious and depressing.

Adding simply to add doesn't make sense.

Comment

Missouri and Rutgers have been openly pining to join the Big Ten, and Delaney has repeatedly said they aren't going to do anything.

Rutgers hasn't once made any comments about what conference we want to be in. Not one. All we've said so far is we are checking out our options and we feel like we can be a good addition to any conference. Pernetti has not openly pined for anything.

Also I don't take anyone at their word during all this. They say one thing and then the next day it's opposite. It's a huge poker game.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Delaney hasn't said one thing that hasn't come true. They wanted to expand to 12 teams so they could get a conference championship game, and they did that.

They've also said they only want to add teams that are home runs, which they considered Penn State and Nebraska to be. Notre Dame would fit into that category. Missouri, Connecticut, or Rutgers would be ok to bring along with Notre Dame, but it would be foolish to add any of them without Notre Dame.

Comment

• That's about how I feel. I really don't see the point of getting to 16 teams just to get there. I'd much rather be at 12 than add a team that really doesn't bring anything.

I feel like only the PAC 12 and Big Ten have accomplished anything meaningful in this simply because they get to have title games now. A&M is a good add, but a lot of it depends on who they get to be their 14th member.

Comment

Delaney hasn't said one thing that hasn't come true. They wanted to expand to 12 teams so they could get a conference championship game, and they did that.

They've also said they only want to add teams that are home runs, which they considered Penn State and Nebraska to be. Notre Dame would fit into that category. Missouri, Connecticut, or Rutgers would be ok to bring along with Notre Dame, but it would be foolish to add any of them without Notre Dame.
                          That's how I feel about it. The Big Ten would love to add the markets that Missouri, Connecticut, and Rutgers offers but not without Notre Dame. The Irish are the lynchpin. If they agree to join then I can see the Big Ten expanding to 16 with the three aforementioned teams.

It would be fairly easy to set up the divisions too if that were to happen. Split UConn and Rutgers so that each division will get a team that can bring in part of the NY market. That would also put UConn and RU as a permanent crossover rival to minimize travel. The rest would fall into place:

LEGENDS
                          ΤΗσ Michigan .674
                          ΤΗσ Notre Dame .610
                          ΤΗσ Wisconsin .608
                          ΤΗσ Iowa .524
                          ΤΗσ Michigan State .490
                          ΤΗσ Northwestern .431
                          ΤΗσ Minnesota .319
                          ΤΗσ Rutgers .238
                          ΤΗσ Total Division Winning Percentage .487

LEADERS
                          ΤΗσ Ohio State .788
                          ΤΗσ Nebraska .669
                          ΤΗσ Penn State .624
                          ΤΗσ Missouri .475
                          ΤΗσ Purdue .462
                          ΤΗσ UConn .458
                          ΤΗσ Illinois .344
                          ΤΗσ Indiana .236
                          ΤΗσ Total Division Winning Percentage: .507

All Big Ten rivalries are kept except the Land Grant Trophy. The permanent crossover rivalries would be: Ohio State/Michigan, Purdue/Notre Dame, Illinois/Northwestern, Michigan State/Indiana, Penn State/Minnesota, Wisconsin/Nebraska, Iowa/Missouri, and UConn/Rutgers

It makes sense from a business perspective to expand into those markets but Notre Dame is key. If the Big Ten could add those four programs then it would win the conference realignment sweepstakes by a wide margin.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• No, I think they would add one of those three teams, not all of them.

Comment

Delaney hasn't said one thing that hasn't come true. They wanted to expand to 12 teams so they could get a conference championship game, and they did that.

I don't disagree with any of that but Rutgers hasn't been like UConn publically asking for anything. We've been very quiet throughout this whole thing. I know we're not a #1 choice for anything but we would be a good addition to fill out a conference.

Also, let it be known we've beat both new ACC teams in football this year.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• well after tonight it's obvious Rutgers is ******* awesome, so yeah, there's that
                                We ALL bleed scarlet
                                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information