Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Conference Expansion Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apparently the buyout can't be enforced until late 2013 so it would make sense now for Maryland to leave before that kicks in. Also, don't forget Maryland was only 1 of 2 ACC schools to vote against upping that buyout.

    Maryland and Rutgers please!! I only say Rutgers is better than UVA because we have a larger TV base to draw from in NJ and then some of NYC and Philly. Also, Rutgers has a much larger living alumni base.
    #Chop


    sig by BoneKrusher

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
      Anyone else hearing anything about this Maryland to the B10 rumor?
      They've been talking about it all week down here.

      Do you still need the upgraded sports package to get the Big 10 Network in NJ?
      Last edited by Jughead10; 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
        They've been talking about it all week down here.

        Do you still need the upgraded sports package to get the Big 10 Network in NJ?
        I don't even think it's on Cablevision and I'm not sure about Time Warner. if Rutgers and Maryland joined they would definitely add it though. I know you would argue otherwise.
        #Chop


        sig by BoneKrusher

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
          I don't even think it's on Cablevision and I'm not sure about Time Warner. if Rutgers and Maryland joined they would definitely add it though. I know you would argue otherwise.
          I don't think they would add it to basic cable in Maryland. And I don't think the cables companies will feel any pressure to add it at all in NJ if Rutgers moved. People don't care enough. You know that. And the cable companies are stubborn as hell. How long do they hold out for things like MSG, YES, etc. And the pressure they feel for that is exponentially bigger.

          You can get Big 10 here currently but it's on the additional sports package I purchase so I can get Fox Soccer.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
            I don't think they would add it to basic cable in Maryland. And I don't think the cables companies will feel any pressure to add it at all in NJ if Rutgers moved. People don't care enough. You know that. And the cable companies are stubborn as hell. How long do they hold out for things like MSG, YES, etc. And the pressure they feel for that is exponentially bigger.

            You can get Big 10 here currently but it's on the additional sports package I purchase so I can get Fox Soccer.
            It all depends on the numbers of course but if Rutgers were added to the Big 10 and Cablevision didn't have it there would certainly be an uproar. The Cablevision/Yankees thing was just bad blood because the Yanks took their product off a Dolan owned station.
            #Chop


            sig by BoneKrusher

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
              It all depends on the numbers of course but if Rutgers were added to the Big 10 and Cablevision didn't have it there would certainly be an uproar. The Cablevision/Yankees thing was just bad blood because the Yanks took their product off a Dolan owned station.
              I disagree. I don't think there would be an uproar down here with Maryland either, unless too many basketball games were on the Big 10 network. Not sure how that works.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                I disagree. I don't think there would be an uproar down here with Maryland either, unless too many basketball games were on the Big 10 network. Not sure how that works.
                The name value of the Big 10 would bring many new fans to both Rutgers and Maryland adding to their already large living alumni and student bases. It would be to many people to ignore. You're thinking that people would from just RU and MD would be complaining to have the station added but don't forget that all the fans of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc on the East Coast would also be complaining.
                #Chop


                sig by BoneKrusher

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                  The name value of the Big 10 would bring many new fans to both Rutgers and Maryland adding to their already large living alumni and student bases. It would be to many people to ignore. You're thinking that people would from just RU and MD would be complaining to have the station added but don't forget that all the fans of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc on the East Coast would also be complaining.
                  Well aren't those people already complaining? The problem I see is that too many people go out to watch these games, that having the Network isn't a big deal.

                  Comment


                  • No way in hell they add Maryland or Rutgers without absolute assurance of getting the D.C. and NYC tv markets. That's why I don't think this happens.


                    Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      No way in hell they add Maryland or Rutgers without absolute assurance of getting the D.C. and NYC tv markets. That's why I don't think this happens.
                      Well we have it in Maryland. Do they want assurance that it will be on standard cable? The package it is currently on costs an additional 8.99 a month but you can get about 15-20 extra sports channels.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                        Well we have it in Maryland. Do they want assurance that it will be on standard cable? The package it is currently on costs an additional 8.99 a month but you can get about 15-20 extra sports channels.
                        Yes. Without question.

                        The reason why those markets appeal to the Big Ten is because for every subscriber they get in the home state, they get 80 or 90 cents, but for every subcriber in a non-home state, they get 10 cents.

                        In the case of D.C. or NYC, Maryland and Rutgers are proximite enough to count as "home states" (oddly enough so are Syracuse and UVA).

                        If, say, they can add all of the households that get basic cable in those markets, then it makes some sense. It would add roughly 15 million a year in distribution rights alone, not including extra ad revenue. They would probably gain some revenue per team.

                        If they can't, and it's regulated to a "sports package", as it is in almost every non-B1G state in the country, then it's an absolute no. BTN is already making money hand over fist for the 12 teams in the league, so there's no need to add more mouths to feed. The BTN is on standard cable in every state in the midwest.

                        This is why the SEC and ACC expanded to 14 teams, while the B1G and the Pac12 didn't. The former don't have their own media networks.
                        Last edited by bearsfan_51; 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM.


                        Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                        Comment


                        • I would love to add Maryland.

                          Usually cringe when this thread has a new post in it. But getting Maryland would be something id like to see.

                          Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

                          Comment


                          • Who's Phil Grosz? He's saying it's a done deal and will be announced next week.
                            #Chop


                            sig by BoneKrusher

                            Comment


                            • Never heard of him? Don't believe this one for a second. Definitely wait to see it somewhere.
                              Last edited by Smooth Criminal; 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM.

                              Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

                              Comment


                              • Apparently he's a writer on BWI.com.
                                #Chop


                                sig by BoneKrusher

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information