Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thought that one of the big issues was that Texas was being forced to stay with TAMU?

Comment

• Originally posted by GB12 View Post
      thought that one of the big issues was that Texas was being forced to stay with TAMU?
      Nah, seems that are fine being separated. OU is the bigger one, who has said they are following Texas.

Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

• There's supposedly speculation that if Texas A&M joins the SEC, then Mike Slive will travel to Norman, OK and try to convince the Sooners as well (Slive is supposedly in College Station now).

I'm guessing people think that Oklahoma would be more willing to part ways with Texas and join the SEC if they're joined by another Big 12 South team? I think it's better for college football if TX/OU stay together, though.

There's still the ability of having annual OOC games, too. Several current SEC teams have those (Florida/FSU, Georgia/GATech, SCAR/Clemson), so I don't see why TX/TAMU (or TX/OU for that matter, I guess) couldn't do the same.
        Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
        Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• So if TAMU an Oklahoma go to the SEC would it be safe to say that Texas would go to the Big Ten then instead of the Pac 10

Comment

• I would rather Texas A&M just go to the Pac10. If the SEC were to get a Big XII team I would rather it be Texas as their academic and athletic programs are better as a whole than A&M. I am fairly surprised Mike Slive hasn't made an attempt to try and swing Texas over. Imagine the tv deal the SEC could work out if Texas, TAMU, Okie State, and OU joined the SEC...

I have been pondering this as well: no matter what A&M does, why don't the SEC go after Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri? It expands their footprint out west, tremendously increasing the competition in basketball (imagine Kansas vs. Kentucky every year), and doesn't lower the competition in football too much. SEC could even pick up Baylor or any other team really to increase it to 16 teams.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
            WHO DAT!

Comment

• If TAMU and Oklahoma both move to the SEC, then I think the **** hits the fan. Anything could happen from the reformation of the Big 12 to Texas going independent. There'd even be the possibility of Texas joining the SEC as well, seeing as their biggest conference rival (OU) and instate rival (TAMU) would both be joining the conference as well. Whether they'd be willing to give up on the Pac 10 merger, submit to following OU and TAMU to the SEC, and then leave the other former Big 12 teams out in the cold is another thing though.
              Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
              Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                I would rather Texas A&M just go to the Pac10. If the SEC were to get a Big XII team I would rather it be Texas as their academic and athletic programs are better as a whole than A&M. I am fairly surprised Mike Slive hasn't made an attempt to try and swing Texas over. Imagine the tv deal the SEC could work out if Texas, TAMU, Okie State, and OU joined the SEC...

I have been pondering this as well: no matter what A&M does, why don't the SEC go after Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri? It expands their footprint out west, tremendously increasing the competition in basketball (imagine Kansas vs. Kentucky every year), and doesn't lower the competition in football too much. SEC could even pick up Baylor or any other team really to increase it to 16 teams.
                Too many teams. I think the SEC is a bit worried about the money thinning out with 16 teams.

And the Mountain West doesn't even want Baylor, let alone the SEC.

OU has already said it, they are waiting for Texas and following Texas.

Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

• I don't even think the Big 12 wanted Baylor. It was Texas's pull that got them into the conference.
                  Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                  Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                    I would rather Texas A&M just go to the Pac10. If the SEC were to get a Big XII team I would rather it be Texas as their academic and athletic programs are better as a whole than A&M. I am fairly surprised Mike Slive hasn't made an attempt to try and swing Texas over. Imagine the tv deal the SEC could work out if Texas, TAMU, Okie State, and OU joined the SEC...

nothing makes sense about any Texas team joining the Pac 10. Even OU.

Comment

• Originally posted by XLIV View Post
                      nothing makes sense about any Texas team joining the Pac 10. Even OU.
                      10 million dollars more a year does.

Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

• Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                        There's supposedly speculation that if Texas A&M joins the SEC, then Mike Slive will travel to Norman, OK and try to convince the Sooners as well (Slive is supposedly in College Station now).

I'm guessing people think that Oklahoma would be more willing to part ways with Texas and join the SEC if they're joined by another Big 12 South team? I think it's better for college football if TX/OU stay together, though.

There's still the ability of having annual OOC games, too. Several current SEC teams have those (Florida/FSU, Georgia/GATech, SCAR/Clemson), so I don't see why TX/TAMU (or TX/OU for that matter, I guess) couldn't do the same.
                        Some random crap:

1) TX and OU have been in the same conference for 14 years. That's it. They have rivalry game that they have played irregardless of conference for ages.

2) Aggies did not like their travel issues when dealing with the PAC-10. The prospect of that being an annual thing is not appealing to them.

3) UT's arrogance has worn thin on Aggieland and lots of A&M alumni want to go their own way. The SEC is that outlet for them.

4) OU desperately wants to follow UT. If UT heads to the Big10, OU needs to look elsewhere as they aren't academically up to snuff.

5) I still think the Big12 south (minus baylor) heads to form the Pac16. It's basically the same division as the Big12 south + the arizonas + another team. Cakewalk for UT and OU. With USC down and the rest of the PAC10 being completely weak, UT and OU are virtually guaranteed a NC appearance at least once every 4 years. No competition.

6) UT wants unbalance TV $. I doubt any conference gives that to them, but they are playing the Big10 and PAC10 off of each other like crazy.

7) I hope UT and ND come to the Big10. It make$ $en$e. Mostly due to CIC money.

8) For lots of fun rumors: orangebloods.com, frankthetank.wordpress.com, and a good Big10 source.

Good thread, keep up the banter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                          10 million dollars more a year does.
                          we'll see how that works when the players are too tired to play a game from traveling so damn much.

Comment

we'll see how that works when the players are too tired to play a game from traveling so damn much.
                            With two divisions, most conference games will be against the 7 different teams in the division. 1 or 2 games outside of the division, and a championship game. That means 1 or 2 long haul trips in conference per year. Not a big deal.

Oh, one more thing that is floating around out there is a combined Pac16/Big10 TV deal. Basically force cable companies to make this a standard tier cable channel.

Comment

You'll still watch, I'll still watch, everyone will still watch. They will still get the 10 mill.

NFL teams do it, other college sports do it, and heck even football teams travel a lot (BC down to FSU? OSU to USC? etc). It's not as big an issue for the players as it is made out to be. Annoyance? For sure. But it won't lower the level of play.

Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

• I'd much rather OU and A&M go to SEC. OU/UT would still play an annual OOC game as they did before the Big 12 like JoeJoeBrown said.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information