BCS Conferences Aligned Geographically

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS Conferences Aligned Geographically

I was bored today and decided to align the six BCS Conferences and the 3 Independents based on geography. It was trickier said than done given that some states have more than one school and that certain rivalries needed to be preserved. I will try to offer some descriptions on why certain teams ended up where.

ACC
    Clemson
    Duke
    Miami
    North Carolina
    North Carolina State
    South Carolina
    South Florida
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest

NOTE: I tried maintaining the Atlantic Coast Conference name by sticking with teams that are close to or on the Atlantic coast. If I were to include all of the teams along that coast then the Big East would have been left with around six teams. The only teams that were added to the ACC was South Carolina and South Florida and several were taken away due to geography.

Big East
    Army
    Boston College
    Cincinnati
    Connecticut
    Maryland
    Navy
    Penn State
    Pittsburgh
    Rutgers
    Syracuse
    West Virginia

NOTE: Most of the Big East schools are located in the northeast portion of the US so I tried to get most of the BCS universities located in that region into one conference with the only exception being Cincinnati, which was the toughest college to place into a conference. Notable additions to the Big East include Penn State, Army, Navy, and Maryland.

Big Ten
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Iowa State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Notre Dame
    Northwestern
    Ohio State
    Purdue
    Wisconsin

NOTE: Not much changed about the Big Ten except that Penn State moved to the Big East and recent addition Nebraska was left out. In the place of those two universities comes Notre Dame, which is an obvious choice based on geographic fit for the Big Ten, and Iowa State. The reason for Iowa State is that they are in the same state as Iowa.

Pac10
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    California
    Colorado
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Stanford
    UCLA
    USC
    Washington
    Washington State

NOTE: Only addition was Colorado and they are the most recent team that has been added to the Pac10.

SEC
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Florida State
    Georgia
    Georgia Tech
    Louisville
    Kentucky
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

NOTE: This conference lost South Carolina, Arkansas, and LSU and gained Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Florida State. Still a powerhouse in sports but their recruiting base shrunk by losing three states.

Southwest Conference
    Arkansas
    Baylor
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    LSU
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech

NOTE: This could be the Big XII but it has too much of the old Southwest Conference flavor so hence the name. Made up of mostly schools located in Texas, the SWC seems strong on paper in all sports and all schools fit geographically.

Feedback is welcome. Like I said, it was just something fun to do.
    Last edited by diabsoule; 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

I'd switch South Florida with Connecticut or Maryland, since they're actually close to the Atlantic, while USF is closer to the Gulf Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
      I'd switch South Florida with Connecticut or Maryland, since they're actually close to the Atlantic, while USF is closer to the Gulf Coast.
      I thought about that but didn't do it in the end. South Florida would serve as a travel partner with Miami while Maryland could serve as a travel partner with Navy.

WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post

ACC
        Clemson
        Duke
        Miami
        North Carolina
        North Carolina State
        South Carolina
        South Florida
        Virginia
        Virginia Tech
        Wake Forest

NOTE: The only team that has been added to the ACC was South Florida and several were taken away due to geography.
        South Carolina is still in the SEC

Otherwise I liked it.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Go Cowboys View Post
          South Carolina is still in the SEC

Otherwise I liked it.
          Yeah, oversight on my part. I corrected it.

WHO DAT!

Comment

it amazes me how the state of florida has 4 big time programs in such a small state.

California as big as it is population wise only has arguably 1 big time school.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
              it amazes me how the state of florida has 4 big time programs in such a small state.

California as big as it is population wise only has arguably 1 big time school.
              That probably has something to do with the fact that the top 4 California schools (USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford) have academic requirements that are well above the Florida schools.

edit - This is a cool thread, by the way. Nice work.
              Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 06-16-2010, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I think the mega conferences would've been a huge step forward in the move for a playoff if it happened.

you would've had the pac16, sec, big...12 and ACC?

then you could conceivably do a +1 in addition to the conference championships. That system would be more apt to find the real college football championship.

The only problem with that though is that you're essentially locking out the Big east, MWC, etc. from ever reaching the BCS championship game.

Comment

LOL i love where you have Penn State!!! ahahaha
                  I'm a state.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information