Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don Vito
    At least respect it, Chris Low does-
    Why? Powe is a fine player I will give them that, and Lockett is ok but is no way better than Hardy. They also lose Tillman off that front. Then you have the fact they lose their top two corners in Green and Vaughn, and lose easily their best safety in Lewis. How in the world again will they be a top defense in the nation? Just cause they have Powe in the middle? Ok Walker is an ok linebacker but nothing amazing in my opinion. I find it very hard to believe this unit can be better than last year, and even last year they performed average at best, they were not tops in the nation by any means.

South Carolina has such a far superior defense when compared to Ole Miss, and that is just taking into consideration returning starters, again that which Ole Miss has very few in my opinion.

Comment

Maybe but losing Munoz, McCourty, Kitchen, D'Imperio, George Johnson will be way too much for them to come back from.

Do have Lefeged, Freeny and Francis coming back and a few ok linebackers but seriously McCourty was by far their best and only really good corner back and Johnson was a fine pass rusher. Will see but I doubt they rebound all that great compared to last years defense.
      McCourty will be the big loss, no doubt. But we're perfectly fine at LB, despite losing D and Damaso. Johnson will be replaced by Freeny nicely. Hopefully our young CB's step up and fill the massive shoes of McCourty
      We ALL bleed scarlet
      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

No love for Penn State's D? They're consistantly in the top 10 in defense.

Comment

To many question marks and not enough returning stars. Have a few good players but at this time to me not enough to make them an elite defense unit. Note statistics were not taken into account in this, it was just baseline talent position by position, any big school can play small schools and improve their overall defensive statistics because of it. It is about players returning not statistics defensively.

Comment

Nebraska's base defense isn't a 4-3, as we barely go into any 3 LB sets. More often we are in a nickel or dime as our base, which we ran almost exclusively by the time conference play rolled around.

Matt May will likely never see the field, and Sean Fisher won't see much either. Our top two LBs as of right now are Will Compton and Eric Martin, and not far behind is Alonzo Whaley.

Gomes and Hagg will be all over the field as well. Hagg will be the 3rd corner in our nickel, and Gomes will be the 4th corner in our dime packages. PJ Smith will likely be the SS, while Austin Cassidy and Rickey Thenarse fight it out for the other safety position in our dime package.

Comment

bwillie26 Nebraska's base defense isn't a 4-3, as we barely go into any 3 LB sets. More often we are in a nickel or dime as our base, which we ran almost exclusively by the time conference play rolled around.

Matt May will likely never see the field, and Sean Fisher won't see much either. Our top two LBs as of right now are Will Compton and Eric Martin, and not far behind is Alonzo Whaley.

Gomes and Hagg will be all over the field as well. Hagg will be the 3rd corner in our nickel, and Gomes will be the 4th corner in our dime packages. PJ Smith will likely be the SS, while Austin Cassidy and Rickey Thenarse fight it out for the other safety position in our dime package.
              True, but I believe that is more to do with their lack of linebackers, regardless I really like the potential Fisher has as a linebacker and I like Compton as well, if these other guys are better great but we will see. Yes Gomes and Hagg are fine players, played a lot last year and will do the same this year, as for Cassidy, Smith and Thenarse I know very little about them.

Odd thing is you compare last years defense to the 2004 LSU defense, it is the same thing, outstanding defensive line, great defensive backs that are deep and pretty suspect linebacker play outside of maybe one linebacker. Clearly that is the way Bo and Will want it and it really does work quite well for Nebraska and Texas last year even without standout linebackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                True, but I believe that is more to do with their lack of linebackers, regardless I really like the potential Fisher has as a linebacker and I like Compton as well, if these other guys are better great but we will see. Yes Gomes and Hagg are fine players, played a lot last year and will do the same this year, as for Cassidy, Smith and Thenarse I know very little about them.

Odd thing is you compare last years defense to the 2004 LSU defense, it is the same thing, outstanding defensive line, great defensive backs that are deep and pretty suspect linebacker play outside of maybe one linebacker. Clearly that is the way Bo and Will want it and it really does work quite well for Nebraska and Texas last year even without standout linebackers.
                No, it has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of LBs, as Bo has even stated. It has everything to do with Bo adjusting to the numerous spread attacks in the B12. Having a 4-3 as your base in the B12 is basically senseless, as you are not very often going to use it.

Every team Nebraska played in the B12 ran the spread, or a variation, while Nebraska was in conference play.

You are right though, Nebraska did this out of necessity. Only the necessity to match up personnel versus an offense that the conference we are currently in has went to almost exclusively.

And I didn't bring up the '04 LSU defense, nor did I make a comparison.

Comment

No, it has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of LBs, as Bo has even stated. It has everything to do with Bo adjusting to the numerous spread attacks in the B12. Having a 4-3 as your base in the B12 is basically senseless, as you are not very often going to use it.

Every team Nebraska played in the B12 ran the spread, or a variation, while Nebraska was in conference play.

You are right though, Nebraska did this out of necessity. Only the necessity to match up personnel versus an offense that the conference we are currently in has went to almost exclusively.

And I didn't bring up the '04 LSU defense, nor did I make a comparison.
                  True but that is recruiting and who he recruits and who he brings in. If they had players like Greg Jones, Sean Spence, or Michael Morgan you better believe they would be playing a base 4/3, still look at the roster they have no linebackers, mostly because I doubt they focus on recruiting many. But yes that is why they play nickle, of course, to play against the spread.

But if they had better linebackers I bet they would play a 4/3 more often.

Comment

True but that is recruiting and who he recruits and who he brings in. If they had players like Greg Jones, Sean Spence, or Michael Morgan you better believe they would be playing a base 4/3, still look at the roster they have no linebackers, mostly because I doubt they focus on recruiting many. But yes that is why they play nickle, of course, to play against the spread.

Simple question .. if you play against spread teams with constant 3-4 WR sets, what exactly is the point of having 3 LBs on the field so that you are at a disadvantage? You expect them to cover the slot consistently, or are you going to attempt to drop zone coverages all night and allow B12 QBs all day to throw?

Just doesn't work that way, which is why he implements his 'Peso' defense, which I must say worked out pretty well. :)

Now you are entitled to your opinion about our LB core - but it's just irrelevant because we just do not use 3 LB sets, which is my original point. If you are going to judge our defense, at least do it with our correct base. That is all.

Comment

well Miami always says they have all these great safeties but when it comes to game play few show up at a consistently high level. Hopefully this year they do.
                      ...what?

found this little picture for you

Comment

I expect Alabama's defense to be really good as long as Saban is coaching there.

Ohio st. usually has a stout defense as well.

I'm excited to see Texas Defense again next season. I've heard good things recently about Texas Jr. LB Keenan Robinson. I think he could work himself into a 1st round pick after a couple more seasons.

Comment

...what?

found this little picture for you
                          I was speaking about last year and the year before last. Always talk about this is the next great one, but last year they underachieved and never lived up to the hype. Of course they have a history of great safeties but have yet had another one, could even argue Phillips was never as good as everyone thought he could become. We will see, hopefully they develop, one of them at least has to for that defense to become great in my opinion.

bwillie26

Simple question .. if you play against spread teams with constant 3-4 WR sets, what exactly is the point of having 3 LBs on the field so that you are at a disadvantage? You expect them to cover the slot consistently, or are you going to attempt to drop zone coverages all night and allow B12 QBs all day to throw?

Just doesn't work that way, which is why he implements his 'Peso' defense, which I must say worked out pretty well. :)

Now you are entitled to your opinion about our LB core - but it's just irrelevant because we just do not use 3 LB sets, which is my original point. If you are going to judge our defense, at least do it with our correct base. That is all.
                          I fail to see what again you are arguing, the point is made and I agree with it. As for Nebraska, well I follow all defenses and teams, not just Nebraska so forgive me if everything is not to the T, if you want to speak on those other defenses I would love too. Any local fan can talk about their favorite team, is a lot harder to judge every team in my opinion. But yes I will watch more closely next year and see how often they play that nickle defense, because even in preseason magazines they have them in a basic 4/3.

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                            Their secondary looks like **** this year.

I would not be surprised if Ohio State ranks as the top defense in the country this year. Their depth is sickening.

Comment

I was speaking about last year and the year before last. Always talk about this is the next great one, but last year they underachieved and never lived up to the hype
                              Who is they?

Comment

Who is they?
                                Are you kidding? Armstrong was supposed to be the second coming, obviously he was nothing amazing last year. Nicolas at a time was supposed to be a great safety, or considered to be potentially. Reid supposedly is this next great one in line. Telemaque at least came out of no where so guess he had no expectations to live up too, but now he will for this up coming season. That is just this years roster, but odd there are a lot of them, will see what happens, hopefully they can get another great one in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information