X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzy
    started a topic 2010 Top 12 defensive units in the country

2010 Top 12 defensive units in the country

Here is what I think could be the top 12 defensive units for the up coming 2010 college football season. It is based off of incoming talent and production they had last year, plus returning starters. And let us be honest, the best teams last season had the best defenses, so do not say it does not matter, it means absolutely everything.

Many will argue Iowa being that high, but I see it as last year UNC was supposed to be gang busters and be a great defense and team overall last season. But it did not turn out that way, they underachieved and rarely match their hype they get. I see Iowa as a consistent well coached team and well coached defense with probably the best defensive line in college football coming back. Ontop of that they have more consistent depth as well, so that is why I have it the way it is, clearly though things can change and new players can emerge as the year goes on.

1)
    Was a great group last year and if they fill some voids at linebacker and cornerback they could be even better than last year. That dominating defensive line is all back and they should be even better this season. Those two fine deep safeties really help them as well.
    DE Clayborn
    DT Klug
    DT Ballard
    DE Binns
    OLB Nielsen
    ILB T. Johnson, Coleman
    OLB Hunter
    CB Prater
    CB Bernstine
    SS Sash
    FS Greenwood

2)
    Talent wise no other groups are better, however consistency is the issue. Have real stars on the defensive line and if they play up to their potential they will be a great defense. Have arguably some of the best defensive backs in the country and have great linebackers. If all positions click and reach their potential they can easily be the best defensive unit.
    DE Quinn
    DT
    DT Austin
    DE McAdoo
    OLB Sturdivant
    ILB Reddick
    OLB Carter
    CB Burney
    CB C. Brown
    SS Searcy
    FS D. Williams

3)
    Could be a lot higher but their corners are the question mark at this point. Also losing Cody in the middle will be a change as well, still Saban always has big, strong fast athletes and I am sure they will be another fine unit this season. If those talented young corners play up to their potential, watch out. Dareus will dominate on the defensive line and Hightower could be awesome if he comes back strong after the injury.
    DE Dareus
    DT Chapman
    DE
    OLB Upshaw
    ILB Hightower
    ILB N. Johnson
    OLB DeJohn
    CB Kirkpatrick*
    CB Milliner*
    SS Barron
    FS

4)
    Very talented group, will have to equal the production last years defensive line had however. Great group of linebackers, just outstanding, and their safeties are very talented as well, corners are not as strong as years past but at least they have experience. If Heyward has a big year on the line however, he could really make them a great defense.
    DE N. Williams
    DT Larimore
    DT Simon
    DE Heyward
    OLB Homan
    ILB B. Rolle
    OLB E. Sabino
    CB Chekwa
    CB Torrence
    SS J. Hines
    FS Moeller

5)
    Obviously a talented group, the linebackers must play up to their potential and if the do they could be really good. The defensive line, pretty much the same thing, have to play up to their potential, Casey and Perry are big time stars. The corners will make the defense go, if they play the way they are capable of playing it could be another great USC defense.
    DE Perry
    DT Casey
    DT Tupou
    DE M. Jackson, Armstead
    OLB Morgan
    ILB Galippo
    OLB Kennard, M. Smith
    CB TJ Bryant
    CB S. Wright
    SS McAllister
    FS

6)
    As I said before they will have to fill a big void left by Kindle and Houston. If those freshman can do it they will be fine though, but will wait and see. Easily have the best defensive backs in the country and that will allow them to do a lot up front regardless of who is there. Robinson is a great linebacker and if they can get some better play out of a few more backers that would really help them.
    DE Acho
    DT
    DT
    DE Jeffcoat*, Wilson*
    OLB K. Robinson, Hicks*
    ILB
    OLB Norton, Acho
    CB Ch. Brown, Beasley
    CB A. Williams, Cu. Brown
    SS Brewster, Cobbs*
    FS Gideon

7)
    Really talented group but who knows how they perform. Linebackers are outstanding but Brown is a question mark at this point and McCarthy needs to stay healthy, Spence is a star though. The defensive line has to play great however, Bailey has to dominate and they need to get more push from the tackles. The defensive backs under achieved as well last year, but they have great talent at corner and safety. If they put it all together they could easily be a top three defensive unit.
    DE Bailey
    DT Holmes
    DT Forston
    DE Robinson
    OLB Spence, Buchanan
    ILB Brown
    OLB McCarthy
    CB Harris
    CB Van Dyke
    SS Armstrong
    FS Telemaque, Nicolas

Lost a lot off last years defense, but still should have a great defensive line with Crick being the main stay. The linebackers are the biggest question mark, they have talent but will have to prove a lot, if they do they will be a fine defense. The defensive backs are deep and experienced, lost two fine safeties but have a lot of players that can make plays and have seen game action. Plus their two corners are outstanding.
    DE P. Allen
    DT Crick
    DT Steinkuhler
    DE
    OLB Fisher
    ILB Compton
    OLB May
    CB Amukamara
    CB Dennard
    SS Hagg
    FS Gomes

9)
    Linebacker is the only group without real stars, have fast linebackers but Jeffery is the only really talented one. They have a lot of solid players and if they pick up their game they could be just great. Good defensive line led by Matthews and Ajiboye, Taylor should be a fine player as well. The defensive backs are outstanding, Gilmore is one of the best corners and Culliver is one of the best safeties, they have great depth at those positions as well. Potentially they could be one of the best defenses in the SEC and that is saying a lot.
    DE Matthews
    DT Ajiboye
    DT Robertson
    DE Taylor
    OLB Jeffery
    ILB Paulk
    OLB S. Wilson
    CB Gilmore
    CB Auguste, Whitlock
    SS Holloman
    FS Culliver

10)
    A lot depends on the production of their defensive line, have a lot of talented players but they have to produce. At linebacker Hicks will be a great player and they have some experienced behind him, but again all depends on the defensive line. The defensive backs lost Haden but still have Jenkins a fine corner and two great safeties, Black is a star and Hill has tons of potential.
    DE Trattou
    DT Marsh, Easley*
    DT Sanders, Howard
    DE Powell*
    OLB Hicks
    ILB Jones
    OLB Edwards, Doe
    CB Jenkins
    CB
    SS Black
    FS Hill

11)
    Not a really deep group but they have star players, the defensive backs are outstanding, two of the best safeties in the land with McDaniel and Hall. Gilchrist is a fine corner as well. At linebacker Maye will carry the load and the defensive line has very talented players with Bowers and Jenkins. If they can get some more depth they will be a great unit.
    DE Bowers
    DT
    DT Jenkins
    DE
    OLB Cooper
    ILB Maye
    OLB
    CB Gilchrist
    CB Maxwell
    SS McDaniel
    FS Hall

12)
    Should be a fine group, especially if Rowe plays up to his potential as a pass rusher. The linebackers are solid led by Paysinger and Matthews, they got good speed. The defensive backs should be good, Harris will be a star at corner, and Boyett is an experienced young safety. If they fill a few more holes they could be a solid defense.
    DE Rowe
    DT Bair
    DT
    DE
    OLB Paysinger
    ILB Matthews
    OLB
    CB C. Harris
    CB Jackson
    SS Boyett
    FS

• Da Big Harv
    replied
    Millner should get a lot of time in the defensive backfield but for now it looks like Dre "swagmaster" Kirkpatrick and B.J. Scott are going to get the starting nod. There's a lot of speculation that Milliner will end up at safety with his size but, he should get playing time on passing situations for sure with Bama so thin at defensive back only returning one starter (Barron)

Leave a comment:

• Ozzy
    replied
    Da Big Harv Culliver should be a tremendous corner he has all the physical tools and didn't quite have the smarts for safety I've heard
    That is strange, hopefully he can make the transition, however rarely would a move such as this work out at the next level, more often than not he is not fast enough to be a corner or quick enough, that is why he was at safety. He had above average speed and quickness at safety, below average for a corner I would say, hopefully he can make the switch now and at the next level, but I doubt at the next level he will be a corner.

LizardState If you like watching CB play, tune in Alabama at LSU on November 6th.

Peterson for the Bayou Bengals + Dre Kirkpatrick & Milliner, both freshmen, from Bama.

Everybody will throw at those 2 Tide frosh out there (til they get burned often enough or the Tide pass rush obliterates their QBs) but both of them were #1-ranked corners coming out of HS, & Milliner ran a 4.24 40 in Gadsden HS. Patrick Peterson might look bored by that latter p/o the season, he's a consensus 1st team AA & it looks like he's head & shoulders over all other CBs for the 2011 draft, so teams will avoid him like an airborne bubonic plague virus & throw away from him & at Claiborne on the other side.
    I am aware for that, I cannot wait to see what Kirkpatrick can do, and based on how Saban coaches up defensive backs I am quite sure both will be just fine.

phlysac How close did Pittsburgh come to making your list?

The only players they lost whom were significant contributors were DT Mick Williams and CB Aaron Berry. Theyv'e improved at every other position.
    Like I have said before, their total lack of any real talent in their defensive backfield makes them not on this list. Berry was easily their best corner last year, and even he was not that good. Great front seven, but that defensive back field scares me. If they have developed some guys back there though they could be really good, will have to see it to believe it though. And even if they have success it is just because the Big East is pretty weak this year, not many great teams.

Leave a comment:

• thenewfeature06
    replied
    Bryn Renner should start for us haha of course I have no idea how he would handle it. I am comfortable knowing LSU has a QB controversy of there own though they are more talented. Yay probably said it but alot of things will play in to the winner.. I like the matchup but RC, Tolliver is huge while Burney is shorter and Pat Peet is a phenom.. :(

Zach Pianalto, our TE might have a day. BTW if this game was in LSU, not a chance we win.

Leave a comment:

• YAYareaRB
    replied
    Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
    UNC-LSU will be great. Little vs. Pat Pete and Toliver vs. Burney.
    That O-Line vs D-Line battle is gonna be the story of the game, IMO

Leave a comment:

• phlysac
    replied
    How close did Pittsburgh come to making your list?

The only players they lost whom were significant contributors were DT Mick Williams and CB Aaron Berry. Theyv'e improved at every other position.

Leave a comment:

• RealityCheck
    replied
    UNC-LSU will be great. Little vs. Pat Pete and Toliver vs. Burney.

Leave a comment:

• LizardState
    replied
    If you like watching CB play, tune in Alabama at LSU on November 6th.

Peterson for the Bayou Bengals + Dre Kirkpatrick & Milliner, both freshmen, from Bama.

Everybody will throw at those 2 Tide frosh out there (til they get burned often enough or the Tide pass rush obliterates their QBs) but both of them were #1-ranked corners coming out of HS, & Milliner ran a 4.24 40 in Gadsden HS. Patrick Peterson might look bored by that latter p/o the season, he's a consensus 1st team AA & it looks like he's head & shoulders over all other CBs for the 2011 draft, so teams will avoid him like an airborne bubonic plague virus & throw away from him & at Claiborne on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• Da Big Harv
    replied
    Culliver should be a tremendous corner he has all the physical tools and didn't quite have the smarts for safety I've heard

Leave a comment:

• Ozzy
    replied
    Assuming he's good to go, I wouldnt sleep on Rodney Paulk. He's a real talent. As for Shaq, he should excel in his new role, given a lot more blitzing opportunities. I'm liking the LB core...a little on the light side, but I think they'll surprise.

And just an FYI...Culliver is a corner now. Auguste was moved to FS.
    I saw that in Sporting News, I thought it was a roster error.

Why did they do that? Culliver was a fine safety, what do they really hate Auguste at corner? They also had Whitlock as well, kind of an odd move to me, why move your best safety to corner, not like they have tons of safeties but maybe Hollman improved from last year, I hope. Anyway hopefully this is finally their year as a team to be successful and actually contend. It is about time and they have no excuse now!

Leave a comment:

• M.O.T.H.
    replied
    Assuming he's good to go, I wouldnt sleep on Rodney Paulk. He's a real talent. As for Shaq, he should excel in his new role, given a lot more blitzing opportunities. I'm liking the LB core...a little on the light side, but I think they'll surprise.

And just an FYI...Culliver is a corner now. Auguste was moved to FS.

Leave a comment:

• Sniper
    replied
    Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    I'm excited as hell about Ohio State's front 7. That group is so talented and deep it's amazing.

The secondary worried me a little bit simply due to lack of experience, but there are some talented players back there as well. As long as we get a consistent pass rush, and we will with that group, the defense will be great.

I am scared of playing Harris and Miami though. Fast QBs always give the Buckeyes problems.
    Harris isn't fast. Black=/=fast.

Leave a comment:

• Ozzy
    replied
    Smooth Criminal I am scared of playing Harris and Miami though. Fast QBs always give the Buckeyes problems.
    Harris is not a running quarterback for Miami at all really. He is quite a talented passer. It is not like they are playing Robert Griffin here or Michael Vick, let us be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Smooth Criminal
    replied
    I'm excited as hell about Ohio State's front 7. That group is so talented and deep it's amazing.

The secondary worried me a little bit simply due to lack of experience, but there are some talented players back there as well. As long as we get a consistent pass rush, and we will with that group, the defense will be great.

I am scared of playing Harris and Miami though. Fast QBs always give the Buckeyes problems.

Leave a comment:

• Cigaro
    replied
    Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
    9)
    Linebacker is the only group without real stars, have fast linebackers but Jeffery is the only really talented one. They have a lot of solid players and if they pick up their game they could be just great. Good defensive line led by Matthews and Ajiboye, Taylor should be a fine player as well. The defensive backs are outstanding, Gilmore is one of the best corners and Culliver is one of the best safeties, they have great depth at those positions as well. Potentially they could be one of the best defenses in the SEC and that is saying a lot.
    DE Matthews
    DT Ajiboye
    DT Robertson
    DE Taylor
    OLB Jeffery
    ILB Paulk
    OLB S. Wilson
    CB Gilmore
    CB Auguste, Whitlock
    SS Holloman
    FS Culliver
    Paulk is a more than solid linebacker. Possibly All-SEC player. Shaq Wilson is tackling machine. Jeffery plays SPUR, which isn't a linebacker spot, but close enough.

Culliver could be one of the best safeties, but he has clearly chosen not to. Sometimes he's down right horrible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information