The top 25 college football defensive units over the past decade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
    Very good point, however I do not include any defenses that over lap one another.
    So 2002 and 2005 Ohio State can't both be on the list, but 2002 and 2005 USC can?

Comment

i thought USC's defense in 2008 was better than in 2005 going on memory but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just b/c the Texas game sticks out from 2005, but I know OSU's defense in 2005 was clearly better than USC's, just ask Vince Young. We beat up on Vince pretty good after the first quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
        I never said a word about last years Illinois team, unless last year was '07. Briinging up Illinois is completely relevant because you have them on a list of the top 25 best defenses of the last decade. And I'm sorry, there's no way they belong on there. Like, at all.

One player got dominated against USC. Morgan Trent. He was the weak point of that defense. If we're playing the "got dominated" game, '07 Illinois gave up 40 to Missouri, 49 to USC.
        Silly facts and ****. Always getting in the way.

Seriously, how can a defense be one of the top 25 defenses of the past "decade" if they ranked in the top 20 in exactly one category? Consider the fact that the one category had nothing to do with points and yardage, and you have zero case for Illinois being one of the top 25 defenses of the past decade. It's a stretch that they'd be one of the top 25 defenses of the Big 10 alone for that stretch.

Comment

'07 Illinois

26th in scoring D
          83rd (!!!) in passing D
          36th in rushing D

No matter which way you try to spin it, that's a far cry from one of the top 25 defenses since 1997.

Comment

auburns 2004 13-0 defense was very well rounded. maybe not top 25 cause im biased but they were very good.

Defensive Coordinator was gene chizik (now hc)
            #1 in PPG defense with 11.2
            #5 yards/game 269.6
            7/13 opponents held at or under 10 points (4 sec games)
            1 shutout
            28 was the highest someone got on them. (tenn seccg)
            it was basically a defense filled with undersized fast players.

de - bret eddins, marquis gunn
            dt - jay ratliff, pat sims
            dt - tommy jackson
            de - stanley mcclover, quentin groves
            olb - karibi dede
            mlb - travis williams
            olb - antarrious williams
            cb - carlos rogers, pat lee
            fs - will herring
            ss - junior rosegreen
            cb - david irons
            Last edited by critesy; 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM.

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

Your definition of the last decade is much looser than mine.
              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
              RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                how is 1997, 1998, 1999 in the last decade?
                I have only been really paying attention to college football since 1997, so the time span I am looking at is between 1997 and 2009, so a little more than a decade.
                m,zxczx,cx

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                  m,zxczx,cx
                  that's still 12 years.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Yeah, he said it was a little more than a decade...

Comment

Wasn't Clay Matthews bench fodder for USC until, like, a quarter of the way through his senior season? In 2005, he was the size of a large safety.

Comment

Lol, now that I think about it, that 2005 USC team that you have is wrong at almost every position.

Oscar Lua and Dallas Sartz were starters instead of Cushing and Maualuga.

Like I said, Matthews was like a 220 pound linebacker at the time. Frostee Rucker was the starter. Everson Griffin was still in HS.

Taylor Mays was also still in HS.

You, like, overlapped their defense from 2005-2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                          The defensive line, outside of Woodley is even I feel.
                          It is painfully obvious that you didn't watch Alan Branch AT ALL that season. He was absolutely ridiculous. The guy ate double teams for breakfast, allowing for a breakout season from David Harris and an even better season for the eventual Lombardi winner in Woodley. It's an absolute farce that you can legitimately sit there with a straight face and make the asinine statement that you made.

Comment

Michigan
                            I'm saying it's too biased towards the 2007-2009 period. Nebraska's 09 defense is definitely not the best they've had since '97, Texas '09 defense is a fringe top 25 at best, and South Florida and Illinois (WHAT!?) should not be on there at all.
                            Not the best since 97? How? Did you see that offense last year? That defense carried the team, much less the fact they have the best defensive lineman of any of these defensive units in Suh. Could argue they had one of the best if not the best defensive line out of all of these groups if you just look at flat out production and how they changed the game. And sure the defensive backs, their career is not done yet, but I doubt the defensive backs on Nebraska or Texas do not turn out to be fine pros. Five years from now I do not think where I rank them will be too high at all. Especially for Texas if one considers Earl Thomas a Bob Sanders/Polomalu type talent, then yes that defense should be up there despite the talent at linebacker, just look at that great LSU defense, they had few fine linebackers but the great depth at defensive line and defensive back made up for that. Clearly Bo and Will do not mind that type of defense and clearly both have been very successful with it.

As for South Florida and Illinois, well in my opinion it is far harder for those schools to get a great defensive unit because one they are not a famous or well recruited school, second neither are known for defense. So one could argue getting a great defensive unit on a traditional non defensive power is far harder than carrying over players and hopefully getting a good collection at some point in time.

ironman4579 I never said a word about last years Illinois team, unless last year was '07. Briinging up Illinois is completely relevant because you have them on a list of the top 25 best defenses of the last decade. And I'm sorry, there's no way they belong on there. Like, at all.

One player got dominated against USC. Morgan Trent. He was the weak point of that defense. If we're playing the "got dominated" game, '07 Illinois gave up 40 to Missouri, 49 to USC.

I would completely disagree with Illinois secondary being that much better.Leon Hall was, at worst, equal with Davis, and likely better because he was actually willing to work hard. Technically he was far superior, though david might have had the edge in pure athleticism. Jamar Adams was underrated. Michigan has a big edge in LB, and I'll take Woodley and Branch over anyone on Illinois defense. Throwing in freshman Brandon Graham makes it a no brainer. If you didn't want to put Michigan on there, fine. I realize it's difficult to rank teams. But there's no way that Illinois team should be on there. I'm not even sure I'd put that '06 Florida on the list over '06 Michigan.
                            Well I a mistaken, I thought you did. I also just flat out disagree with you clearly on this subject. Leon Hall is no where near the corner V. Davis was, especially when Davis was a freshman and sophomore, he was lights out. Yes later he got lazy, but early on when he still had some fire burning, he was one of the best young corners I have ever seen, his athletic ability make Hall look ridiculously average.

I will have to sleep on it, Michigan had a good defense but again I say, it is far harder for a non traditional defensive power to get a great defensive unit than it is for a traditional power too do so. Certain teams always seem to have a good defense and every now and again have a great one, to have a great one out of no where is extremely difficult and that is exactly what South Florida did.

Sniper Seriously, how can a defense be one of the top 25 defenses of the past "decade" if they ranked in the top 20 in exactly one category? Consider the fact that the one category had nothing to do with points and yardage, and you have zero case for Illinois being one of the top 25 defenses of the past decade. It's a stretch that they'd be one of the top 25 defenses of the Big 10 alone for that stretch.
                            Anything else to add? Clearly you Michigan boys have a problem with it, that is fine. I would take Ball over Trent any day, Mitchell over Adams any day, Davis over Hall any day. And overall depth of Illinois defensive line I would take over one or two stars on Michigan. Crable was ok but really the only good backer was Harris. Woodley obviously was a star though.

critesy auburns 2004 13-0 defense was very well rounded. maybe not top 25 cause im biased but they were very good.

Defensive Coordinator was gene chizik (now hc)
                            #1 in PPG defense with 11.2
                            #5 yards/game 269.6
                            7/13 opponents held at or under 10 points (4 sec games)
                            1 shutout
                            28 was the highest someone got on them. (tenn seccg)
                            it was basically a defense filled with undersized fast players.

de - bret eddins, marquis gunn
                            dt - jay ratliff, pat sims
                            dt - tommy jackson
                            de - stanley mcclover, quentin groves
                            olb - karibi dede
                            mlb - travis williams
                            olb - antarrious williams
                            cb - carlos rogers, pat lee
                            fs - will herring
                            ss - junior rosegreen
                            cb - david irons
                            Great point, that was a fine defense, I knew I forgot something. They can easily be included, Williams were great players, both of them, and didn't they have Dansby? Herring I loved as a safety, same with Rosegreen, for sure tomorrow I will include them in the list, amazing defense, that is for sure.

yourfavestoner Lol, now that I think about it, that 2005 USC team that you have is wrong at almost every position.

Like I said, Matthews was like a 220 pound linebacker at the time. Frostee Rucker was the starter. Everson Griffin was still in HS.

Ok, my sources were wrong then. Again I swear you guys try to find these rosters up to date on the internet. I dare you, it is not that easy and sorry but keeping them all exact to a T is almost impossible. Thanks for catching that, I will try to correct it.

Sniper

It is painfully obvious that you didn't watch Alan Branch AT ALL that season. He was absolutely ridiculous. The guy ate double teams for breakfast, allowing for a breakout season from David Harris and an even better season for the eventual Lombardi winner in Woodley. It's an absolute farce that you can legitimately sit there with a straight face and make the asinine statement that you made.
                            I did watch Branch, he was a fine player. Sadly his NFL crappiness hurts his reputation a tad I feel though. Agreed he was a great player though in college, never said he wasn't.

But yes you Michigan guys want to harp on that, that is cool. Oddly seem to forget how high I put there actually elite defense with Charles Woodson so not like this list his a Michigan hater list.
                            Last edited by Ozzy; 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM.

Comment

dansby was in the draft that year, so i dont think so? would of been amazing though. dansby was on a lb core with reggie torbor and donatarrious thomas, who all got drafted that year in the 2004 draft i think.

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

Lol, now that I think about it, that 2005 USC team that you have is wrong at almost every position.

Follow up, I got it exactly correct, just mistaken the date from 05 to 07, my mistake, doing too many things at once I guess. Thus not over lapping the two of them at all. As for Lua and Sartz, well, again it makes sense since it was 07 instead of 05. My mistake however, thanks for the catch.

http://usc.scout.com/a.z?s=15&p=8&c=2&nid=736&yr=2007

Going to add Auburn to the list and yes Michigan as well, even though those defensive backs are extremely suspect. Sadly push off South Florida, but remember that team came out of no where, had two great corners in Jenkins and Williams, Murphy behind them. An amazing college linebacker in Moffitt and a terror edge rusher with Selvie, but the depth of the D-line was not great. Still so very impressive considering they are not a traditional defensive power.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information