No announcement yet.

The top 25 college football defensive units over the past decade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dansby was in the draft that year, so i dont think so? would of been amazing though. dansby was on a lb core with reggie torbor and donatarrious thomas, who all got drafted that year in the 2004 draft i think.
    **** that team was good, wow, great defense and damn they are the Auburn team with C. Williams, R. Brown and B. Jacobs, holy crap! What a team!

2003 Auburn Tigers
    DE J. Ratliff
    DT S. Johnson
    DT D. McNeil
    DE R. Torbor
    OLB K. Dansby, A. Williams
    ILB D. Thomas
    OLB T. Williams
    CB C. Rogers,
    CB M. Pitts, G. Williams
    SS W. Herring
    FS Rosegreen

Comment

ironman4579 I'd put 2006 Michigan at the very least over 2007 Illinois.

'06 Michigan

#15 Scoring D
      #1 Rush D
      #10 Total D
      #4 sacks
      #13 tackles for loss

DT-Alan Branch, Terrance Taylor
      DE-LaMarr Woodley, Rondell Biggs
      DE-Brandon Graham, Tim Jamison
      OLB-Shawn Crable, Prescott Burgess
      MLB-David Harris
      CB-Leon Hall, Morgan Trent
      S-Jamar Adams, Willis Barringer
      I apologize. Looking through there roster myself, I totally spaced out on how good guys like Taylor were. And especially how good guys like Biggs and Jamison were. That completely changes the depth of their roster and overall look of their team. My mistake, I will give it to you guys, you are both correct they should be ahead of Illinois, they were very deep and talented. Still would take Illinois defensive backs over their group any day, but that defensive line and those linebackers, that is very hard to beat.

So my mistake and my error.

Comment

its hard to do something like this without some outside input.

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

its hard to do something like this without some outside input.
          Agree, the Michigan point proved that, and it is hard to remember them all, thank you again for the Auburn reminder, I just loved that defense and loved the talent they had.

Comment

do what you want ozzy, it's your ******* list ;)

Comment

do what you want ozzy, it's your ******* list ;)
              We are all family here ;o)

It is good to have feedback and discussion, if there was none this would be very boring. Also rather have it accurate than me being instantly correct.

Made some changes, included the outstanding 05 Penn State defense which kicks off the Iowa defense sadly. Also listed other defenses I found that I loved but did not make the cut. Might have to expand this list to top 30.

Also included the 08 Ohio State defense as well, extremely deep group. With that changed the order around a little bit too.

That old Virginia defense with Brooks and company was insane, not good defensive backs but all those linebackers was ridiculous. That Wake defense was great too with Abbate and Curry and the ball hawk Alphonso Smith and the sweet safety in Gattis. That Purdue defense was great too but not sure Stuart and Pollard played together or not.
              Last edited by Ozzy; 06-23-2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Yea, hopefully you don't take offense to a lot of our responses (doesn't seem like you do). I'm sure you knew you'd get some outrage, but I have to give you credit for going through and doing some of these lists. People are always going to complain about something, but it does take a lot to actually sit down and do these, so good work.

And just so you know, I'm not outraged you dropped Iowa out. :) I love our defense usually and normally wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but I probably wouldn't consider any over the past 13ish years one of the best.

Comment

No hard feelings Ozzy, I'm glad you decided to include that '06 defense. I'm also really glad that Auburn D was brought up. I completely forgot about that one, but they were a great group.

Originally posted by Jakey
                  WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

iowatreat54
                    Yea, hopefully you don't take offense to a lot of our responses (doesn't seem like you do). I'm sure you knew you'd get some outrage, but I have to give you credit for going through and doing some of these lists. People are always going to complain about something, but it does take a lot to actually sit down and do these, so good work.

And just so you know, I'm not outraged you dropped Iowa out. :) I love our defense usually and normally wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but I probably wouldn't consider any over the past 13ish years one of the best.
                    Might have found one for Iowa, Bob Sanders is the key because he is their best defensive back in that era, and all of these guys played I believe. Too bad Colin Cole was the year before but still this unit might crack the top 25.

Iowa 2003
                    DE M. Roth, Iwebema
                    DT Clauss
                    DT J. Babineaux
                    DE H. Hodges, Mattision
                    OLB E. Miles, Humpal
                    ILB A. Hodge, Klinkenborg
                    OLB C. Greenway
                    CB J. Johnson
                    CB A. Allen
                    SS B. Sanders, S. Considine
                    FS Paschal, Merrick

Overall Iowa is great at defense but have yet to put together a deep and stellar class of defensive backs, because their front 7 are always good, defensive backs, not so much.

Comment

Yeah they are top 25 I think, unless some of these players were not on the roster. And no it is not to get a Iowa team on there...haha It is more the fact I really liked Greenway and Hodge as college backers, two of the best plus Bob Sanders was just flat out great. So I feel that group deserves to be on there and is better than that other group, but since they over lap I will delete that past one.

Roth and Bob Sanders were easily the tipping point when comparing those two Iowa defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                        Might have found one for Iowa, Bob Sanders is the key because he is their best defensive back in that era, and all of these guys played I believe. Too bad Colin Cole was the year before but still this unit might crack the top 25.

Iowa 2003
                        DE M. Roth, Iwebema
                        DT Clauss
                        DT J. Babineaux
                        DE H. Hodges, Mattision
                        OLB E. Miles, Humpal
                        ILB A. Hodge, Klinkenborg
                        OLB C. Greenway
                        CB J. Johnson
                        CB A. Allen
                        SS B. Sanders, S. Considine
                        FS Paschal, Merrick

Overall Iowa is great at defense but have yet to put together a deep and stellar class of defensive backs, because their front 7 are always good, defensive backs, not so much.
                        Yea, that's the problem (is it really a problem lol) with Iowa. We always have a solid D, but only because it's so well coached and works so well together as one unit. There may be a one or two standouts, but overall it's usually always lacking a top talent. And like you said, the strength of the front 7, and mainly the LBs in coverage, are what run Iowa's defense. The LBs ability to play coverage is huge, and you rarely see Iowa LBs that can't play into coverage and usually always will have one LB that can adequately play with TEs or in Greenway's and Edds's cases, some slot WRs.

But yea, I forgot about some of the defenses before 05 (when I started following Iowa). He may be lost in the NFL, but Matt Roth was ridiculous in college, especially his Senior year in 04 I think. Plus in addition to Roth and Sanders, you had Babs who was just ridiculous. Many are comparing Ballard this year to him because of the move he made from DE to DT, especially with his athletic ability. (I think Babs moved from the outside).
                        Last edited by iowatreat54; 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Well I a mistaken, I thought you did. I also just flat out disagree with you clearly on this subject. Leon Hall is no where near the corner V. Davis was, especially when Davis was a freshman and sophomore, he was lights out. Yes later he got lazy, but early on when he still had some fire burning, he was one of the best young corners I have ever seen, his athletic ability make Hall look ridiculously average.
                          Just so we're on the same page, we're talking about the same Leon Hall that was a finalist for the Nagurski, semi-finalist for the Thorpe, quarter-finalist for the Lott, and first-team All-American? Yeah, "nowhere near Vontae Davis", my ass. Makes you wonder how he got drafted 18th overall if he was nowhere near Davis' level. Both secondaries were well-below average, but Hall's career was significantly superior to Davis'.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm not sure focusing mostly on the players rather than the results is the best way to go about this. That '07 Illinois team was 4th in it's conference in points allowed, 7th in total yards against, and 9th in passing yards against. I know they had a few good players, but overall they were a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten defense.

Comment

You know you'll have to redo this next year.

Comment

Just so we're on the same page, we're talking about the same Leon Hall that was a finalist for the Nagurski, semi-finalist for the Thorpe, quarter-finalist for the Lott, and first-team All-American? Yeah, "nowhere near Vontae Davis", my ass. Makes you wonder how he got drafted 18th overall if he was nowhere near Davis' level. Both secondaries were well-below average, but Hall's career was significantly superior to Davis'.
                                Yes we all know Sniper every Michigan player is the best player in the world ever, simple as that right? Yes Hall has a better work ethic than Davis, sadly Davis is so superior athletically between the two they are about equal, regardless of the superior technique Hall has or the superior work ethic, Davis's athletic ability can trump that in many cases.

Keeping with Michigan, I would rather talk about how kick butt Charles Woodson is and was than freaking Leon Hall right? ;o)

Or talk about some other teams besides Michigan once in awhile. Any opinions on that sweet Tennessee defense or that old school Va Tech defense from 1999?

One can only talk so much Michigan football right, expanding of ones horizons. ;o)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information