No announcement yet.

The top 25 college football defensive units over the past decade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found another great defense I forgot, this Florida State defense was outstanding, had great group of linebackers led by Sims, had Cromartie in form and solid safeties as well, plus very good defensive line play with Bunkley and Wimbley. One of their best, even during a down time for them they could still play defense, outside of last season of course.

2004 Florida State
    DE Wimbley
    DT Bunkley
    DT Fluellen
    DE C. Davis
    OLB E. Sims
    ILB B. Davis
    OLB AJ. Nicholson, Timmons
    CB A. Cromartie, L. Smith
    CB B. McFadden, T. Carter
    SS J. Carter
    FS P. Watkins

Was going to put that LSU defense with Trev Faulk and Bradie James on it but not enough other stars on the team to include them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
      No the 2003 had more depth and overall talent with Landri, Laws, Zbikowski, Abiamiri and Hoyte I feel. But yes that 2002 defense was good but could make the argument they looked like a flat out joke late in the season and in the bowl game. I never though guys like Sapp, Earl, Vuff or Walton lived up to their potential, none of them did. I thought it was a great defense as well and they were at times but not that good. It has more to do with the fact that they have had so many awful ones as of late, anything resembling solid is considered great or outstanding. But yes lack of production of these players at the next level speaks to their overall talent. They have a lot of decent players, very few elite outside of Tuck. But yes hopefully the Irish get back to their defensive ways but based on Kelly's history, I doubt that happens.
      Depth does not equate to quality. And Hoyte and Landri were part of that 2002 defense, albeit role players.

The 2002 defense was #10 in rushing defense, #46 in passing defense, #13 in total defense, #9 in scoring defense, recovered 12 fumbles, intercepted 21 passes, gave up 217 points, and went 10-3.

The 2003 defense was #29 in rushing defense, #48 in passing defense, #33 in total defense, #65 in scoring defense, recovered 17 fumbles, intercepted 13 passes, gave up 315 points, and went 5-7.

If you want to argue that the 2002 team was not deep, I'll give you that one, but statistically, they were far better than the 2003 edition. And the only reason the defense looked bad at the end of the season was because they wore down over the season. You can only succeed so often when the offense is going 3 and out the majority of the time.

Comment

Depth does not equate to quality. And Hoyte and Landri were part of that 2002 defense, albeit role players.

The 2002 defense was #10 in rushing defense, #46 in passing defense, #13 in total defense, #9 in scoring defense, recovered 12 fumbles, intercepted 21 passes, gave up 217 points, and went 10-3.

The 2003 defense was #29 in rushing defense, #48 in passing defense, #33 in total defense, #65 in scoring defense, recovered 17 fumbles, intercepted 13 passes, gave up 315 points, and went 5-7.

If you want to argue that the 2002 team was not deep, I'll give you that one, but statistically, they were far better than the 2003 edition. And the only reason the defense looked bad at the end of the season was because they wore down over the season. You can only succeed so often when the offense is going 3 and out the majority of the time.
        You have a good point, however I would take the players on the 2003 team as a collective group any day over the players on the 2002 team. But yes statistically they were a better defense, but if I went only on statistics, how can one translate statistical success across a time span of over 10 years? I have said before this is based off players basically, not defensive rankings but yes one can prove a point or two with those from time to time. You have a point though, guess I really liked just liked Zbikowski as a player, same with Abiamiri and that put the 2003 defense over the 2002 one for me with Tuck and many other player still on both rosters.

Comment

Here is a challenge, can someone find the Arizona defensive starting lineup from 1998, I can find the roster but not the starters, the one with Chris McAllister, they had a great group, these are the only players I can find from that roster though, it is not complete

1998 Arizona

DE Tafoya
          DT
          DT
          DE
          OLB D. Polk
          ILB M. Bell
          OLB Sprotte A. Pierce
          CB McAllister
          CB K. Hunter
          SS
          FS R. Jones

Those linebackers were great, I was a huge Marcus Bell fan, loved some of those outside guys as well, and Tafoya could really play.

Comment

You have a good point, however I would take the players on the 2003 team as a collective group any day over the players on the 2002 team.
            So, you're basically picking these teams based on which players you liked better compared to what they did on the field?

Comment

Sniper So, you're basically picking these teams based on which players you liked better compared to what they did on the field?
              I sadly do not have a time machine nor do I have game tape of each and every defense on here, all I have is my memory of what each defense did and my memory of what each prospect was like, plus the information on which prospects succeeded at the next level or even got to the next level of football.

If you care to find the defensive statistics and rankings of all of these defensive units be my guest. I personally do not want to even attempt that, finding the rosters was hard enough much less thinking of which defensive units were good or not, thank you very much.

Comment

I sadly do not have a time machine nor do I have game tape of each and every defense on here, all I have is my memory of what each defense did and my memory of what each prospect was like, plus the information on which prospects succeeded at the next level or even got to the next level of football.

If you care to find the defensive statistics and rankings of all of these defensive units be my guest. I personally do not want to even attempt that, finding the rosters was hard enough much less thinking of which defensive units were good or not, thank you very much.
                Right, I wouldn't expect you to remember every player. However, when a fan of a team clearly proves that one defense was superior to the other and you got with the cop-out that "I like Player Z over Player X" and completely ignoring the actual on-field results, it doesn't make sense.

Comment

A few more rosters I will be ranking possibly later on tonight, that NC State group is sick in the front four, I forgot about them, they were flat out dominating, loved how Manny Lawson played and McCargo was a load in the middle. Plus Hoyte was a stud inside backer with those guys infront of him.

2005 NC State
                  DE M. Williams, L. Wright
                  DT D. Pressley, A. Cash
                  DT J. McCargo, D. Tyler
                  DE M. Lawson, W. Young
                  OLB S. Tulloch
                  ILB O. Hoyte
                  OLB P. Lowery
                  CB AJ Davis
                  CB M. Hudson
                  SS G. Heath
                  FS L. Rumph, D. Morgan

2005 Kansas
                  DE C. Keith
                  DT C. Blakesley
                  DT J. McClinton
                  DE J. Wheeler
                  OLB J. Mortensen, B. Perkins
                  ILB N. Reid
                  OLB M. Rivera, J. Holt
                  CB A. Talib
                  CB C. Gordon
                  SS J. Kemp
                  FS D. Stuckey, J. Thornton

2008 Utah
                  DE P. Kruger
                  DT Talamaivao
                  DT Filiaga
                  DE K. Misi
                  OLB Sylvester
                  ILB M. Wright
                  OLB Fotu
                  CB S. Smith
                  CB B. McCain, R, Stanford
                  SS J. Dale
                  FS R. Johnson

2006 Cal
                  DE Ma'afala
                  DT Mebane
                  DT T. Alualu
                  DE Tafisi
                  OLB A. Felder
                  ILB D. Bishop
                  OLB W. Williams, Z. Follett
                  CB D. Hughes
                  CB T. Mixon
                  SS B. Hicks
                  FS T. DeCoud

Comment

2005 NC State
                    DE M. Williams, L. Wright
                    DT D. Pressley, A. Cash
                    DT J. McCargo, D. Tyler
                    DE M. Lawson, W. Young
                    Prospect-wise, that is the greatest DL of all-time, until someone proves it wrong.

And you know who will prove it wrong.

Comment

And this Michigan State defense was tough and very bad ass, very aggressive and a really good group. That Miss State defense, not a lot of big names but was big time and really played great football.

1999 Michigan State
                      DE R. Smith
                      DT D. Bernard
                      DT D. Thomas
                      DE J. Hendricks
                      OLB J. Peterson
                      ILB TJ. Turner
                      OLB J. Thornhill
                      CB A. Cambell, B. Nelson
                      CB R. Hill, C. Henry
                      SS T. Wright
                      FS R. Newsome

1998 Texas A&M
                      DE R. Bernard
                      DT R. Edwards
                      DE Flemons
                      OLB C. Anthony
                      ILB D. Nguyen
                      ILB J. Glenn
                      OLB W. Holdman
                      CB J. Webster
                      CB S. Curry
                      SS M. Jameson
                      FS R. Coady

2002 Washington State
                      DE I. Brown
                      DT R. Long
                      DT Tupai
                      DE Acholonu
                      OLB K. Sperry
                      ILB W. Derting
                      OLB P. Bennett
                      CB M. Trufant
                      CB K. Paymah, J. David
                      SS E. Coleman
                      FS H. Abdullah

2000 Miss State
                      DE E. Wyms
                      DT W. Blade
                      DT D. Davis, T. Golliday
                      DE C. Stephens
                      OLB J. Clark
                      ILB M. Haggan
                      OLB R. Knight
                      CB F. Smoot
                      CB S. Byrdsong, E. Clinton
                      SS P. Prather
                      FS J. Morgan

Comment

Prospect-wise, that is the greatest DL of all-time, until someone proves it wrong.

And you know who will prove it wrong.
                        Maybe but I doubt it, Quinn is elite and Austin is, but they have no one like Lawson, Williams and Lawson were big time, UNC at this moment does not have a combo like that. And one could really argue about the depth of NC State's defensive tackles kills UNC.

They arguably had more depth at DL in Chapel Hill during Austin's freshman year

2007 UNC DL
                        DE H. Taylor
                        DT Balmer, K. Guy
                        DT Austin, C. Thomas
                        DE EJ. Wilson

They need another lineman outside of Quinn and Austin to step up if they want to be a historic defensive line. Let us be serious, LSU in 2004 were way better than UNC or NC State arguably in terms of quality depth.

2004 LSU DL
                        DE M. Spears, M. Oliver, T. Johnson
                        DT K. Williams, C. Wroten
                        DT G. Dorsey, M. Favorite
                        DE C. Pittman, T. Jackson

Also a completely homer pick but what about this 1999 Golden Gopher defense? Had solid rush ends in Riley and White, decent linebackers and outstanding defensive backs. Award winner Tyrone Carter, big time prospect in Middlebrooks, and other solid corners in Wyrick and Lehan and depth at safety with Brewer, Ward and Jones.

Sure not great but considering their defenses now a days, this is one of the best ever for Minnesota, sadly doubt they have a defense anywhere close to this one anytime soon.

DE K. Riley
                        DT Schlecht
                        DT D. Russ
                        DE G. White
                        OLB C. Poole
                        ILB S. Hoffman
                        OLB B. Mezera
                        CB W. Middlebrooks
                        CB J. Wyrick, M. Lehan
                        SS T. Carter, E. Ward
                        FS D. Jones J. Brewer
                        Last edited by Ozzy; 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

So a number one ranked defense (you know, VT 2005) isn't even a top 50 unit of the decade. And another number one unit (VT 2006) isn't in the top 20.

lol.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

BamaFalcon59 So a number one ranked defense (you know, VT 2005) isn't even a top 50 unit of the decade. And another number one unit (VT 2006) isn't in the top 20.

lol.
                            Apparently, not only can you not speak of only Virginia Tech football, but also you cannot read. The very impressive 2005 Virginia Tech defense is ranked 21st on this list, look again.

21) 2005
                            Virginia Tech
                            DE D. Tapp O. Martin
                            DT J. Lewis
                            DT C. Powell
                            DE C. Ellis Burchette
                            OLB X. Adibi
                            ILB V. Hall
                            OLB J. Anderson
                            CB J. Williams, V. Harris
                            CB B. Flowers
                            SS A. Rouse, D. Parker
                            FS J. Hamilton

Comment

Apparently, not only can you not speak of only Virginia Tech football, but also you cannot read. The very impressive 2005 Virginia Tech defense is ranked 21st on this list, look again.

21) 2005
                              Virginia Tech
                              DE D. Tapp O. Martin
                              DT J. Lewis
                              DT C. Powell
                              DE C. Ellis Burchette
                              OLB X. Adibi
                              ILB V. Hall
                              OLB J. Anderson
                              CB J. Williams, V. Harris
                              CB B. Flowers
                              SS A. Rouse, D. Parker
                              FS J. Hamilton
                              I mentioned two squads, 2005 and 2006.

But hey, if you don't have a 2006 VT squad on your list, that just hurts your credibility. Not that they had the number one ranked defense nationally in points allowed, yards allowed, and passing yards allowed. Not that we held 10/13 opponents to thirteen or less points or anything. And not to mention our offense often put the defensive unit in horrible situations. But whatever :).

Virginia Tech.
                              DE C. Ellis, O. Martin
                              DT B. Booker, K. Robertson
                              DT C. Powell
                              DE N. Burchette, N. Brown
                              ILB X. Adibi
                              ILB V. Hall
                              WHIP B. Hill
                              CB V. Harris
                              CB B. Flowers
                              SS A. Rouse
                              FS D. Parker
                              Last edited by BamaFalcon59; 07-06-2010, 12:56 AM.
                              Virginia Tech.
                              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                                I mentioned two squads, 2005 and 2006.

But hey, if you don't have a 2006 VT squad on your list, that just hurts your credibility. Not that they had the number one ranked defense nationally in points allowed, yards allowed, and passing yards allowed. Not that we held 10/13 opponents to thirteen or less points or anything. And not to mention our offense often put the defensive unit in horrible situations. But whatever :)
                                Well, they're no '07 Illinois.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information