No announcement yet.

The top 25 college football defensive units over the past decade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2001 Hurricanes had six first round draft picks... playing defensive back.

Jesus...

Comment

Great list, I would however replace the 2004 FSU defense with the 2003 FSU defense and add Darnell Dockett and Travis Johnson to that mix. I know Sims and Cromartie were freshmen, but both played a lot of snaps that season.

Comment

Originally posted by J52 View Post
        The 2001 Hurricanes had six first round draft picks... playing defensive back.

Jesus...
        Hope Miami fans won't disagree Mark Stoops is one of the best DB coaches in the country with what he did with those players.

Comment

Originally posted by MassNole View Post
          Hope Miami fans won't disagree Mark Stoops is one of the best DB coaches in the country with what he did with those players.
          Wait, are you calling Mark Stoops a douchebag?

Comment

MassNole Hope Miami fans won't disagree Mark Stoops is one of the best DB coaches in the country with what he did with those players.
            True but it is not like they are untalented prospects that he is coaching. The talent level at defensive back for the Noles last year was just very deep compared to the past five years or so at Florida State. Let us be frank here, if Mark Stoops coached the Golden Gophers defensive backs, you think they would be all that successful? A coach is a coach but they always need good players, sure some can make good players great but not many.

Comment

Just made a switch after watching an old game on TV. The 1997 Nebraska defense was the better in that grouping than the 1998 defense. The fact Winstrom and Peters were on that defensive line instantly makes them better than than the 1998 defense. Plus the fact Eric Warfield was at the FS spot and was very solid for them.

DE G. Winstrom
              DT J. Peters
              DT J. Wiltz, C. Warren
              DE M. Rucker, Vanden Bosch
              OLB T. Ortiz
              ILB J. Foreman
              OLB C. Polk
              CB R. Brown
              CB E. Swiney, J. Walker
              SS M .Brown
              FS E. Warfield, B. Harrison

DE Vanden Bosch
              DT S. Warren
              DT Slechta
              DE M. Rucker, C. Kelsay
              OLB J. Foreman, J. Burrow
              ILB D. Polk
              OLB E. Johnson
              CB R. Brown, D. Groce
              CB K. Craver, J. Walker
              SS M .Brown
              FS D. Booker

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                i would be surprised if there is any defense better than this one come next year, though I guess maybe Alabama could give them a run:

DE-John Simon Beast
                DT-Johnathan Hankins Beast in waiting
                DT-Garrett Goebel/Adam Bellamy
                DE-Nathan Williams Beast
                WLB-Andrew Sweat
                MLB-Etienne Sabino
                SLB-Dorian Bell
                CB-Travis Howard BIW
                CB-Dominic Clarke
                S-Orhian Johnson
                S-CJ Barnett
                STAR-Tyler Moeller Beast

depth is ridiculous.
                Epic homer post once again keylime. I counted 4 returning starters (correct me if I'm wrong) and we're supposed to believe that's the best defense in the country? Any homer fan can pretend that their "young talented players" who have never seen the field before are gonna take the world by storm. Yeesh.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

TCU

5 years in the past 10 the #1 ranked defense, with the last 3 years consecutive and a bunch of NFL players and not one unit on the list. SMH.

Comment

TCU

5 years in the past 10 the #1 ranked defense, with the last 3 years consecutive and a bunch of NFL players and not one unit on the list. SMH.
                    Look again at the competition they play throughout the year. It will be real interesting if they are as successful on defense in the Big East playing Big East competition all year. The Big East is not even that great of a conference but it does provide much better competition that what they had before.

Might have a point with last years defense for TCU, but the star power is lacking and the elite corner play is also not that great. Or at least this past year I think it was.

DE W. Daniels, S. Maponga
                    DT
                    DT
                    DE B. Broughton
                    LB T. Carder
                    LB T. Brock
                    CB G. McCoy
                    CB J. Teague
                    SS C. Jones
                    RV T. Cuba, A. Ibiloye
                    FS T. Johnson

Possibly some years previous to this one, they had some great linebackers back then, I will look at the rosters from a few years back and maybe they could be included in the list.

Thanks for bringing it up!
                    Last edited by Ozzy; 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Possible TCU defensive units that might make the list, but I am missing a few players and cannot seem to find a 2009 roster.

DE T. Blake, J. Hughes
                      DT Christopher
                      DT J. Vess
                      DE C. Ortiz
                      OLB J. Phillips
                      ILB D. Hawthorne
                      OLB R. Henson, D. Washington
                      CB R. Priest
                      CB N. Sanders
                      SS S. Hodge
                      FS D. Roach, B. Bonner

DE J. Hughes
                      DT W. Daniels
                      DT
                      DE
                      LB D. Washington
                      LB R. Henson
                      CB R. Priest
                      CB N. Sanders
                      SS A. Ibiloye
                      RV C. Hunter
                      FS T. Johnson
                      Last edited by Ozzy; 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• 2008 Utah was pretty ****** beastly. not big named like these other teams but they had some ballers.

Comment

• 2008 Utah was pretty ****** beastly. not big named like these other teams but they had some ballers.
                          Good call, they were a very good defense and have quite a few current NFL players. Kruger was a monster off the edge, Sylvester and absolute star linebacker, really solid defensive backs, Smith was a stud and McCain was very good as well. But yes lack that wow factor, and a few pieces I am not sure who were the starters. But that was a very solid group. Could rival that TCU group but the linebackers on TCU wins out, from top to bottom. That Utah defense in 08 had some standout guys like Kruger and Sylvester carry each position core but overall depth was lacking if I remember right.

2008 Utah
                          DE P. Kruger
                          DT
                          DT
                          DE Misi
                          OLB Sylvester
                          ILB
                          OLB
                          CB B. McCain, B. Burton
                          CB S. Smith. J. Dale
                          SS
                          FS B. Johnson

Actually just put that 07 TCU defense #47 on the list, moved Virgina down a little because of lack of depth, great linebackers, like amazing linebackers but did not have the depth other units had. And again Utah could make it, originally I was going to add them but again lack of top down depth limits that in my opinion, huge Sean Smith fan, he was fun to watch, so was Sylvester.
                          Last edited by Ozzy; 07-05-2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• Another potential addition could be Clemson. Gaines was a monster as a senior, and Gaddis was a potential stud at corner, and they had some good linebacker play as well with Bille.

2006 Clemson Tigers
                            DE G. Adams
                            DT D. Clark
                            DT D. Scott
                            DE R. Sapp, P. Merling
                            OLB T. Bille
                            ILB J. Miller
                            OLB A. Clay
                            CB CJ. Gaddis
                            CB C. Clemons
                            SS K. Conner
                            FS M. Hamlin

Another fine one possible is Boston College from 07, studs in the middle with Brace and Raji, as good as it gets. Very deep and very good linebackers as well, Dunbar and McLaughlin were big time playmakers. And at defensive back Silva was an animal out their and Tribble could handle his own on the corner.

2007 Boston College
                            DE N. Larkin
                            DT Raji
                            DT Brace
                            DE Albright
                            OLB Dunbar, B. Toal, R. Francois
                            ILB McLaughlin
                            OLB T. Pruitt, Akins
                            CB D. Tribble
                            CB P. Anderson
                            SS J. Silva
                            FS M. Bowman

Clearly a great year from defense, the 06 Jackets had a fine deep, very deep defensive line that could pressure the quarterback easily. Fast linebackers with Hall and Wheeler and decent defensive backs with Kenny Scott at corner and solid safeties.

2006 Georgia Tech
                            DE M. Johnson
                            DT J. Anoai, D. Robertson
                            DT D. Richard, V. Walker
                            DE A. Oliver
                            OLB K. Hall
                            ILB P. Wheeler
                            OLB G. Guyton
                            CB K. Scott, A. Roberson
                            CB Word-Daniels
                            SS J. Lewis
                            FS D. Jones

A Miami defense that does not get remembered, very deep and talented group, not a lot of stars but tons of depth. Very solid defensive line, great linebackers with Beason and others. Then defensive back had star safeties as well. They are easily top 50 somewhere on that list.

2006 Miami Hurricanes
                            DE B. Atkins, B. Pata
                            DT A. Dixon
                            DT K. Brown
                            DE C. Campbell. V. Franklin
                            OLB J. Beason, C. McCarthy
                            ILB G. Cook
                            OLB T. Gooden, R. Davis
                            CB B. Johnson
                            CB G. Sharpe, R. Phillips
                            SS B. Meriweather, A. Reddick
                            FS K. Phillips, W. Cooper
                            Last edited by Ozzy; 07-05-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• John Henderson and Fat Al as your tandem tackles. Ugh.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• John Henderson and Fat Al as your tandem tackles. Ugh.
                                Actually the year I listed on here Darwin Walker was the star opposite Henderson on that team, Haynesworth was the backup at the time I believe.

Still very impressive middle men in college, rarely does one school get such great defensive tackles at the same time. Best I can recall and they are defenses on this list is Texas with Hampton and Rogers, Georgia with Stroud and Seymour and Tennessee with Henderson and Haynesworth, also could add Boston College with Raji and Brace potentially. If you are talking just big boys Marcus Spears and Marquise Hill on LSU was pretty crazy as well.

Personally in terms of elite defensive tackles at the college level, Stroud and Seymour always impressed me the most, and it had a lot to do with Seymour.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information