UNC Football under investigation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brent View Post
    not just this season, you'd likely face long-term sanctions.
    Yeah most likely something like USC.. hopefully not that severe. Id cry.. but uhhhh this article is interesting, basically if Little and Marvin don't reveal anything even if it did happen, were good? Or what are these kids on lie detectors nowadays lol

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...ical-situation
    Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
    Coples is that dude.
    Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

Originally posted by dannyz View Post
      If this is True then that Crazy. I think only Marvin would have been a Frist Round Pick and a late one at that. UNC have a shot at the BCS NC because of Defense. Will this effect Recruting, what does Clowney think of this ?
      Marvin Austin was not one of the 7 best players on that defense a year ago. Robert Quinn looks to be first round caliber talent, Bruce Carter has considerable upside yet looks in the 2nd Round range now, while Quan Sturdivant (MLB), Deunta Williams (S), and Kendric Burney (S) all should find a home sometime between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Marvin Austin hasn't done anything on the field warranting Day One or Day Two consideration, rather, his 2.0 TFL against the run should raise serious concerns as to his explosiveness, penetrating ability, and instincts. He's a player that better start stepping up if he wants to live up to his lofty recruiting status.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

This was never going to be sustained success for UNC anyway as Butch Davis will be leaving sooner than later for the conference you despise so much - the SEC.
        As if Davis hasn't been down this road before (see: Butch at Da U).... as if .... Or were those the violations of the previous HC there, Dennis Erickson? Or maybe even the coach before him, Jimmy "Do Whatever It Takes to Win" Johnson? Where does the buck passing stop? Here is it with the guy who recruited Austin, Quinn, Williams, et. al?

Speaking as a hardcore fan who endured the probations (both of them) at Alabama, couple of points to make:
        • Once you're caught dirty, the only acceptable mode of approaching this is that last stage of the Kubler-Ross identified stages of human dealing with traumatic events, Acceptance. The only acceptable posture is complete prostration, AKA the kowtow pose, that's complete cooperation with the NCAA investigating committee. That's posture is the only thing that saved Bama from the Death Penalty, that hammer that the NCAA had all too recently before brought down on SMU that obliterated the whole freaking Southwest Conference with it. The smart HC admits the guilt 1st thing, although some attys. might say that admitting failure to properly administer/manage/control your mega-huge, highly profiled program is copping a plea to a lesser offense. Failure to admit guilt is often seen as arrogance & warrants a swift NCAA punitive kick in the ass (see USC, the punishment handed down a couple of mos. ago) even if the HC who was in charge is now gone (again: glares at Carroll in Seattle as I'm sure many SC fans in SoCal are doing now). Worse is diverting the blame to others while trying to exonerate oneself, best case that only works once -- see Phil Fulmer, Tennessee, Memphis HS recruits auction scandal, more on him below.
        • Fulmer played fast & loose with the rules at Tennessee but slickly blamed other programs (whom he played every season, what a coincidence!) & the Kentucky HC got fired, Memphis U investigated further, & Alabama got its 2nd probation. He played the political rather than the gridiron game which only multiplied the accusations of misdeeds & focused much more closer examination of the Vols program, not less. He was canned in midseason 2 seasons ago by acclamation of outraged Vols fans who could see the clouds of suspicion gathering, then replaced by Kiffin, soon followed by recruits leaving, players transferring, then multiple police incidents & arrests. It happened at Oklahoma too, new HC Stoops was a new broom that swept clean, same with Mike Shula then Saban at Bama, well maybe not so much with Kiffin at Tennessee given the full weight of NCAA infractions before he even coached his 1st game.

I'm not saying that Butch Davis was that new clean broom at UNC, any more than he was at Miami, but these BCS heavyweight HCs have reputations that are only about 50% max of their own, their Universities' PR depts. manufacture.

Now Kiffin moves to USC for more $ knowing the hammer was coming down there, & is taking the heat that is due Carroll, hey, it's a small world on the top shelf of BCS programs, everyone knows each other all too well, there's a wholelotta payback's a ***** & what goes around, comes around & bad karma at that level -- like Larry McMurtry wrote, This world is full of crap & sooner or later you're gonna step in some of it. Coaches' reputations in an intensely regulated, viciously competitive corporate, multi-million $ sport like college FB that wraps itself in the amateur cloak of the Student Athlete Concept are a big factor that cannot be ignored.

You don't think success, especially sudden recent success (like UNC has enjoyed with its recruiting, 3 1st team AAs on their defense), at the top levels of the NCAA Div. 1 attracts investigators? Like blood in the water to sharks. And the USC, Alabama, & Oklahoma probations proved that the higher the school's profile & reputation, the greater the penalties. Ask SC fans about that now.

I love UNC, & no school in the South has a more sterling academic reputation or basketball program has a better rep, that's why I hate to see the hammer go down on them. I truly hope they beat the rap. But if it happens I think it will fall on Davis more than anyone else.
        Last edited by LizardState; 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
          no school in the South has a more sterling academic reputation
          Duke? Vanderbilt?

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
            Duke? Vanderbilt?
            beat me to it.

I'd rather go to Duke for academics than UNC Chapel Hill

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by LizardState
              no school in the South has a more sterling academic reputation
              Originally posted by Sniper View Post
              Duke? Vanderbilt?
              UNC is unique b/c it has had mega-success in its athletic programs as well as academic, all those B-ball championships with Dean Smith + 1 more recently.... Duke & Vandy not so much.

Comment

UNC is unique b/c it has had mega-success in its athletic programs as well as academic, all those B-ball championships with Dean Smith + 1 more recently.... Duke & Vandy not so much.
                But that's not what you said. You said that no Southern school has a more sterling academic reputation.

Plus, really, Duke not so much? I loathe Duke and love Carolina basketball, but Duke's success in recent years has been pretty damn good. That includes the 2010 national championship.

Comment

beat me to it.

I'd rather go to Duke for academics than UNC Chapel Hill
                  Honestly, I'd say it closer to a draw in terms of academics. However, I would say the feel of the campuses are different.

Just my personal experience, everyone I've ever met from Duke or that went to Duke were annoying pricks.

Personally, I'd avoid Durham, NC though.
                  **** her in da *****!

Comment

I had this rant in the earlier post but didnt think it relevant:

My relatives in the Research Triangle of NC where Duke-Durham & UNC-Chapel Hill are located tell me that there is a waiting list several miles long to get into any of the technical or scientific grad schools at both places. UNC also enjoys an amazing reputation & A-List alumni in the arts as well as scientific depts. that Duke doesn't necessarily have. Duke has the best law school in the country from what I've read, although Stanford & Harvard both can claim the top dog spot there. The best writers in the South seem to be focused on Vanderbilt since the 1920s ~ 90 yrs ago since the Agarian Poets Movement then. I think UNC outclasses both Duke & Vandy across the board academically buy it's not by a very wide margin.

Duke & Vandy FB have horrible reputations, Vandy's coach quit last wk before the season even started. Duke was known for awhile as the launching pad to bigtime high-paying jobs for coaches who succeed there, like Steve Superior who went from there to Florida where he was a Heisman winner. The frustration of coaching Vandy or Duke must be overwhelming, can't win every yr., can't recruit with their stiff academic rqmts, so they become known as the places FB coaching careers go to die. And the lacrosse team "rape" at Duke recently, although it was total witchunt driven by an overzealous local DA running for re-election, didn't help their athletic dept's reputation either.
                    Last edited by LizardState; 07-18-2010, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                      everyone I've ever met from Duke or that went to Duke were annoying pricks
                      Trust fund babies?

Comment

I think UNC outclasses both Duke & Vandy across the board academically buy it's not by a very wide margin.
                        Absolutely not. Duke and Vanderbilt are a cut above UNC. Both have excellent law schools amongst a sprinkling of other great programs (ie Duke Medical). They also have top tier engineering schools while UNC is solely a liberal arts university. UNC is closer to Wake's level than they are to Duke though they do have some better programs like Business (though this is all really minimal difference - all these schools are great no matter how you look at it), but you'd be surprised at some of the top schools you'd find depending on the field - the only colleges at the top across the board are a couple Ivy's. Regardless, it's still impressive for UNC to even be in the conversation since they're public. Their student life isn't stuffy like Virginia's either, though it has...other problems. And if you throw in sports and other stuff, it probably pushes them ahead in the area. Of course, Duke isn't really part of the area to start with.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. As predicted, the investigation is spreading south. SoCar TE Weslye Saunders has been implicated. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, Weslye's dad is this guy:

Comment

Trust fund babies?
                          Trust fund babies without the trust fund. I should probably qualify that by saying I only know about 20-25 people who went to Duke but I can't stand a single one of them.
                          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                            Trust fund babies without the trust fund. I should probably qualify that by saying I only know about 20-25 people who went to Duke but I can't stand a single one of them.
                            you get those types of people at every school, especially the nicer/bigger ones.

Comment

• Fulmer played fast & loose with the rules at Tennessee but slickly blamed other programs (whom he played every season, what a coincidence!) & the Kentucky HC got fired, Memphis U investigated further, & Alabama got its 2nd probation. He played the political rather than the gridiron game which only multiplied the accusations of misdeeds & focused much more closer examination of the Vols program, not less. He was canned in midseason 2 seasons ago by acclamation of outraged Vols fans who could see the clouds of suspicion gathering, then replaced by Kiffin, soon followed by recruits leaving, players transferring, then multiple police incidents & arrests. It happened at Oklahoma too, new HC Stoops was a new broom that swept clean, same with Mike Shula then Saban at Bama, well maybe not so much with Kiffin at Tennessee given the full weight of NCAA infractions before he even coached his 1st game.
                              I know better than to get in a Fulmer debate with a Bammer, but what are ya talking about here Lizzy? UT fans weren't happy Fulmer "resigned" because they were afraid the NCAA would find out he was breaking rules. They were happy because the SEC had left the Vols in the dust and Fulmer was getting his doors blown off in recruiting and on the field by the likes of Meyer at FL and Saban at Bama. Actually, that mentality applies more to Kiffin and Orgeron than Fulmer and his staff, now that USC got hit for what happened when Kiffin was there.

I'm not saying Fulmer was a saint, but he wasn't wanted out by Vols fans because they thought he had shady dealings. In fact, if he has done those things, he probably would've gotten better recruits in those two recruiting class misses that've led to the distaste that Vols fan now have for Fulmer (I don't have said distaste, but others think he ran the program into the ground. Forget all his other accomplishments and the fact that he lead the school win a BCS Championship. Rivals rated two of his classes in the 20's+ so he's scarred the program for life...ugh...).
                              Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                              Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                              Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Weslye Saunders under investigation, and judging by some comments, is pretty close to flat out conceding that he did something wrong along with the UNC players under investigation. Possible season suspension. Whatever it is, it'll probably be the same for at least Marvin Austin since they apparently shared the same South Beach hotel room.

Ffffffuuuuuuuuu. I think some here and some NFL scouts overrate him, but we've got no one proven behind him.
                                Last edited by Cigaro; 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information